why Irish?

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2007
      In the context of Antietam, the 13th's experience may not sound all that noteworthy, but recall that the only other Jersey infantry was the 1st through the 4th (from Slocum's division of the Sixth Corp)s. So in terms of New Jersey's contribution to the fighting (Hexamer's battery aside), the 13th was the standout unit, and Irish's gallant if vain advance was recalled as the most heroic vignette of its struggle.

      --jake

      BTW: Virginia just announced the formation of a 15-man sesquicentennial commission last week. (12 of the 15 members being politicans from our state legislature, which gives me pause as to what if any good will come of the body.) Has Maryland started moving in this regard? (The Feds still haven't.)

      I'm hoping the 150th isn't a replay of the centennial, where the CW got condensed into "Sumter," "Gettysburg," and "Appomattox." Come 2012, I'm crossing my fingers that Sharpsburg finally gets its fair share of the attention.

      -

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2007
        Jake,

        That's absolutely right. To me it's always been the "13th's" monument, and
        the other infantry regiments tagged along.

        Scott