Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: My Trip Report for 09-15-2007

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
      Hi Gerry,

      Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown Pike or
      Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually, when you read
      primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and not Carman, who
      gets all the press.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
        Hi Harry,

        Yep, that was me! I hope to work more closely with Keith Snyder
        this winter so some of the photos will be included on the proposed
        30 new waysides at Antietam and in the new trail booklets.

        Scott

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
        wrote:

        > Scott,
        >
        > Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking
        about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the
        walk.

        > Harry

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
          I will be posting your mug on my blog in a few minutes...you were standing behind Mike Gamble when I took his picture.

          Not to worry...your identity will be kept secret from the great unwashed.

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
            Dear Scott,

            Do you portray General Ripley? I was not sure if I caught the
            meaning of the comment in a previous post.....

            Also, what did Captain Irish do that Carman gave him so much
            press?

            > Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown
            > Pike or
            > Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually,
            > when you read
            > primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and
            > not Carman, who
            > gets all the press.
            >
            > Scott

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

              Steve gave Eleazer Ripley quite a promotion! He was only a captain in the
              8th CT, but he did lose his arm at Antietam. His photo is on the cover of
              the September issue of America's Civil War (and I own his inscribed sword!)

              At Antietam the 13th NJ was only in the field for a few weeks so when
              Captain Hugh C. Irish was killed it was big news. In fact, off the top of
              my head, I believe he was the only officer from the 13th NJ who was killed
              in the Civil War. I haven't seen the Carman manuscript, so I don't know how
              much he wrote about his former comrade. When I said he received more "press
              I meant that the papers in Paterson, literally, wrote columns about his
              life and death.

            • Joseph Pierro
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                By definition, a road with tolls on it is a turnpike. It's my understanding that the road to Hagerstown was (or at least had begun) as a toll road, hence the proper name would be the Hagerstown Pike. (In fact I once read that the sunken road came into use precisely as a means of bypassing the toll,)

                As for Carman and the 13th, there's a newspaper account in the park files by a member of the 13th, from fairly soon after the battle, that claimed (falsely) Carman had to go to the rear due to illness early in the action.

                The 13th had been ordered to cross the Hagerstown Pike and continue advancing westward into the West Woods. Being a green regiment, their advance was shaky to begin with, and they reached the first set of fences (on the east side of the Pike) in somewhat broken order. Irish crossed the second (western) fence and called upon those men closest to him to follow his lead when he was killed. Carman then recalled those that had advanced with Irish (and survived) back to the first fence, where they held for a bit before withdrawing back to the East Woods.

                Having led the abortive spearhead of the 13th's brief foray west of the Pike, Irish is usually the standout figure in every eyewitness account of that regiment's participation at Antietam (hence his place atop the monument).

                --jake

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                  Jake,

                  When the widow of Hugh C. Irish was too ill to attend his reburial in
                  Paterson the undertaker arranged to have a photo taken of his horse drawn
                  hearse made for her. Embroidered on a saddle blanket were his last words,
                  Rally boys, rally."

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                    Ok..will have to look for that particular issue of ACW next time
                    that I get over to the Bucks County CWRT museum library in
                    Doylestown, PA

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                      It was a spontaneous battlefield promotion. What can I say? <g>

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                        What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                          I think the early 60's when the Washington County Historical Society and other purchased the land around it and donated it to the NPS. They built the terrace and moved the monuments from the corner posts of the bridge. I remember them on the corners when I first visited Antietam in the 1950's, but then, I am old.

                          What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007

                            Thanks. I'll check with the WCHS when I drop off my membership check.

                            And Tom, I've seen your tours. You're not getting older, you're getting
                            better. <g>

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                              What new concrete bridge was built on the battlefield in January of
                              1928? Thanks.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                Turnpike....

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                  That's what I was thinking. It would've been steel after the first one
                                  collapsed. Thanks.

                                  Stephen

                                  On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 05:48 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                                  > I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                  > Turnpike....

                                • Tom Shay
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                    These monuments were all moved off Burnside Bridge in 1964 (during it's restoration) :
                                    The 51st PA Infantry monument was removed from SE corner of bridge.
                                    The 35th MASS Infantry monument was removed from NW corner of bridge.
                                    The 21st MASS Infantry monument was removed from SW corner of bridge.

                                    What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                      Awesome. Thanks.

                                      Stephen