Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: My Trip Report for 09-15-2007

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
      Scott,

      Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
      Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
        Scott Hann....indeed your material was used during the morning tour.

        Gerry...it is Capt Irish who stands atop the NJ monument. He was killed at Antietam.
        You can read info about his fate at:
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~njpchsgc/mil/irish_capt_hugh.htm

        Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
        did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
        come through the horrible day unscathed?

        Keith and Brian do a great job. Unfortunately, I missed Keith's
        Morning Phase tour. Later in the day he told me he mentioned my
        name on his tour, and used some of the research I sent him
        (Lieutenant-Colonel Wilder Dwight, 2nd Massachusetts & Captain
        Hugh
        C. Irish, 13th NJ). I'm thriled to know I was able to help.._,_.___
        Recent Activity
        a.. 2New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Yahoo! News
        Get it all here

        Breaking news to

        entertainment news

        Beauty & Fashion
        on Yahoo! Groups

        Share style tips

        and advice.

        HDTV Support
        on Yahoo! Groups

        Help with Samsung

        HDTVs and devices
        .

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
          Hi Gerry,

          Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown Pike or
          Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually, when you read
          primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and not Carman, who
          gets all the press.

          Scott

          Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
          Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

          Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
          likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
          along Hagerstown Road.

          Scott

          > Scott,
          >
          > Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
          > did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
          > come through the horrible day unscathed?

          > from

          Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
          Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Members | Calendar

          Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format
          to Traditional
          2New Members
          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! News
          Sexual Health
          Get important
          sex health news
          Moderator Central
          Get answers to
          your questions about
          running Y! Groups.
          Find Enlightenment
          Yoga groups and
          resources on
          Yahoo! Groups.

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
            Scott,

            Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the walk.

            Harry
            Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
            likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
            along Hagerstown Road.

            Scott
            Recent Activity
            a.. 2New Members
            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Kevin Sites

            Get coverage of

            world crises.

            Cat Groups
            on Yahoo! Groups

            discuss everything

            related to cats.

            Fitness Edge
            A Yahoo! Group

            about sharing fitness

            and endurance goals.
            .

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
              Hi Harry,

              Yep, that was me! I hope to work more closely with Keith Snyder
              this winter so some of the photos will be included on the proposed
              30 new waysides at Antietam and in the new trail booklets.

              Scott

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
              wrote:

              > Scott,
              >
              > Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking
              about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the
              walk.

              > Harry

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                I will be posting your mug on my blog in a few minutes...you were standing behind Mike Gamble when I took his picture.

                Not to worry...your identity will be kept secret from the great unwashed.

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                  Dear Scott,

                  Do you portray General Ripley? I was not sure if I caught the
                  meaning of the comment in a previous post.....

                  Also, what did Captain Irish do that Carman gave him so much
                  press?

                  > Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown
                  > Pike or
                  > Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually,
                  > when you read
                  > primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and
                  > not Carman, who
                  > gets all the press.
                  >
                  > Scott

                • Scott Hann
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

                    Steve gave Eleazer Ripley quite a promotion! He was only a captain in the
                    8th CT, but he did lose his arm at Antietam. His photo is on the cover of
                    the September issue of America's Civil War (and I own his inscribed sword!)

                    At Antietam the 13th NJ was only in the field for a few weeks so when
                    Captain Hugh C. Irish was killed it was big news. In fact, off the top of
                    my head, I believe he was the only officer from the 13th NJ who was killed
                    in the Civil War. I haven't seen the Carman manuscript, so I don't know how
                    much he wrote about his former comrade. When I said he received more "press
                    I meant that the papers in Paterson, literally, wrote columns about his
                    life and death.

                  • Joseph Pierro
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                      By definition, a road with tolls on it is a turnpike. It's my understanding that the road to Hagerstown was (or at least had begun) as a toll road, hence the proper name would be the Hagerstown Pike. (In fact I once read that the sunken road came into use precisely as a means of bypassing the toll,)

                      As for Carman and the 13th, there's a newspaper account in the park files by a member of the 13th, from fairly soon after the battle, that claimed (falsely) Carman had to go to the rear due to illness early in the action.

                      The 13th had been ordered to cross the Hagerstown Pike and continue advancing westward into the West Woods. Being a green regiment, their advance was shaky to begin with, and they reached the first set of fences (on the east side of the Pike) in somewhat broken order. Irish crossed the second (western) fence and called upon those men closest to him to follow his lead when he was killed. Carman then recalled those that had advanced with Irish (and survived) back to the first fence, where they held for a bit before withdrawing back to the East Woods.

                      Having led the abortive spearhead of the 13th's brief foray west of the Pike, Irish is usually the standout figure in every eyewitness account of that regiment's participation at Antietam (hence his place atop the monument).

                      --jake

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                        Jake,

                        When the widow of Hugh C. Irish was too ill to attend his reburial in
                        Paterson the undertaker arranged to have a photo taken of his horse drawn
                        hearse made for her. Embroidered on a saddle blanket were his last words,
                        Rally boys, rally."

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                          Ok..will have to look for that particular issue of ACW next time
                          that I get over to the Bucks County CWRT museum library in
                          Doylestown, PA

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                            It was a spontaneous battlefield promotion. What can I say? <g>

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                              What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                I think the early 60's when the Washington County Historical Society and other purchased the land around it and donated it to the NPS. They built the terrace and moved the monuments from the corner posts of the bridge. I remember them on the corners when I first visited Antietam in the 1950's, but then, I am old.

                                What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007

                                  Thanks. I'll check with the WCHS when I drop off my membership check.

                                  And Tom, I've seen your tours. You're not getting older, you're getting
                                  better. <g>

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                    What new concrete bridge was built on the battlefield in January of
                                    1928? Thanks.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                      I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                      Turnpike....

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                        That's what I was thinking. It would've been steel after the first one
                                        collapsed. Thanks.

                                        Stephen

                                        On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 05:48 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                                        > I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                        > Turnpike....

                                      • Tom Shay
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                          These monuments were all moved off Burnside Bridge in 1964 (during it's restoration) :
                                          The 51st PA Infantry monument was removed from SE corner of bridge.
                                          The 35th MASS Infantry monument was removed from NW corner of bridge.
                                          The 21st MASS Infantry monument was removed from SW corner of bridge.

                                          What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                            Awesome. Thanks.

                                            Stephen