Re: My Trip Report for 09-15-2007

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

      Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
      likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
      along Hagerstown Road.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
        Scott,

        Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
        Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

        Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
        likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
        along Hagerstown Road.

        Scott

        > Scott,
        >
        > Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
        > did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
        > come through the horrible day unscathed?

        > from

      • Tom Shay
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
          Scott Hann....indeed your material was used during the morning tour.

          Gerry...it is Capt Irish who stands atop the NJ monument. He was killed at Antietam.
          You can read info about his fate at:
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~njpchsgc/mil/irish_capt_hugh.htm

          Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
          did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
          come through the horrible day unscathed?

          Keith and Brian do a great job. Unfortunately, I missed Keith's
          Morning Phase tour. Later in the day he told me he mentioned my
          name on his tour, and used some of the research I sent him
          (Lieutenant-Colonel Wilder Dwight, 2nd Massachusetts & Captain
          Hugh
          C. Irish, 13th NJ). I'm thriled to know I was able to help.._,_.___
          Recent Activity
          a.. 2New Members
          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! News
          Get it all here

          Breaking news to

          entertainment news

          Beauty & Fashion
          on Yahoo! Groups

          Share style tips

          and advice.

          HDTV Support
          on Yahoo! Groups

          Help with Samsung

          HDTVs and devices
          .

        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
            Hi Gerry,

            Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown Pike or
            Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually, when you read
            primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and not Carman, who
            gets all the press.

            Scott

            Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
            Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

            Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
            likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
            along Hagerstown Road.

            Scott

            > Scott,
            >
            > Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
            > did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
            > come through the horrible day unscathed?

            > from

            Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
            Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Members | Calendar

            Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format
            to Traditional
            2New Members
            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Sexual Health
            Get important
            sex health news
            Moderator Central
            Get answers to
            your questions about
            running Y! Groups.
            Find Enlightenment
            Yoga groups and
            resources on
            Yahoo! Groups.

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
              Scott,

              Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the walk.

              Harry
              Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
              likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
              along Hagerstown Road.

              Scott
              Recent Activity
              a.. 2New Members
              Visit Your Group
              Yahoo! News
              Kevin Sites

              Get coverage of

              world crises.

              Cat Groups
              on Yahoo! Groups

              discuss everything

              related to cats.

              Fitness Edge
              A Yahoo! Group

              about sharing fitness

              and endurance goals.
              .

            • Scott Hann
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                Hi Harry,

                Yep, that was me! I hope to work more closely with Keith Snyder
                this winter so some of the photos will be included on the proposed
                30 new waysides at Antietam and in the new trail booklets.

                Scott

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
                wrote:

                > Scott,
                >
                > Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking
                about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the
                walk.

                > Harry

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                  I will be posting your mug on my blog in a few minutes...you were standing behind Mike Gamble when I took his picture.

                  Not to worry...your identity will be kept secret from the great unwashed.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                    Dear Scott,

                    Do you portray General Ripley? I was not sure if I caught the
                    meaning of the comment in a previous post.....

                    Also, what did Captain Irish do that Carman gave him so much
                    press?

                    > Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown
                    > Pike or
                    > Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually,
                    > when you read
                    > primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and
                    > not Carman, who
                    > gets all the press.
                    >
                    > Scott

                  • Scott Hann
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

                      Steve gave Eleazer Ripley quite a promotion! He was only a captain in the
                      8th CT, but he did lose his arm at Antietam. His photo is on the cover of
                      the September issue of America's Civil War (and I own his inscribed sword!)

                      At Antietam the 13th NJ was only in the field for a few weeks so when
                      Captain Hugh C. Irish was killed it was big news. In fact, off the top of
                      my head, I believe he was the only officer from the 13th NJ who was killed
                      in the Civil War. I haven't seen the Carman manuscript, so I don't know how
                      much he wrote about his former comrade. When I said he received more "press
                      I meant that the papers in Paterson, literally, wrote columns about his
                      life and death.

                    • Joseph Pierro
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                        By definition, a road with tolls on it is a turnpike. It's my understanding that the road to Hagerstown was (or at least had begun) as a toll road, hence the proper name would be the Hagerstown Pike. (In fact I once read that the sunken road came into use precisely as a means of bypassing the toll,)

                        As for Carman and the 13th, there's a newspaper account in the park files by a member of the 13th, from fairly soon after the battle, that claimed (falsely) Carman had to go to the rear due to illness early in the action.

                        The 13th had been ordered to cross the Hagerstown Pike and continue advancing westward into the West Woods. Being a green regiment, their advance was shaky to begin with, and they reached the first set of fences (on the east side of the Pike) in somewhat broken order. Irish crossed the second (western) fence and called upon those men closest to him to follow his lead when he was killed. Carman then recalled those that had advanced with Irish (and survived) back to the first fence, where they held for a bit before withdrawing back to the East Woods.

                        Having led the abortive spearhead of the 13th's brief foray west of the Pike, Irish is usually the standout figure in every eyewitness account of that regiment's participation at Antietam (hence his place atop the monument).

                        --jake

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                          Jake,

                          When the widow of Hugh C. Irish was too ill to attend his reburial in
                          Paterson the undertaker arranged to have a photo taken of his horse drawn
                          hearse made for her. Embroidered on a saddle blanket were his last words,
                          Rally boys, rally."

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                            Ok..will have to look for that particular issue of ACW next time
                            that I get over to the Bucks County CWRT museum library in
                            Doylestown, PA

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                              It was a spontaneous battlefield promotion. What can I say? <g>

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                  I think the early 60's when the Washington County Historical Society and other purchased the land around it and donated it to the NPS. They built the terrace and moved the monuments from the corner posts of the bridge. I remember them on the corners when I first visited Antietam in the 1950's, but then, I am old.

                                  What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007

                                    Thanks. I'll check with the WCHS when I drop off my membership check.

                                    And Tom, I've seen your tours. You're not getting older, you're getting
                                    better. <g>

                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                      What new concrete bridge was built on the battlefield in January of
                                      1928? Thanks.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                        I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                        Turnpike....

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                          That's what I was thinking. It would've been steel after the first one
                                          collapsed. Thanks.

                                          Stephen

                                          On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 05:48 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                                          > I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                          > Turnpike....

                                        • Tom Shay
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                            These monuments were all moved off Burnside Bridge in 1964 (during it's restoration) :
                                            The 51st PA Infantry monument was removed from SE corner of bridge.
                                            The 35th MASS Infantry monument was removed from NW corner of bridge.
                                            The 21st MASS Infantry monument was removed from SW corner of bridge.

                                            What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                              Awesome. Thanks.

                                              Stephen