Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: My Trip Report for 09-15-2007

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
      Scott,

      Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
      did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
      come through the horrible day unscathed?

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

        Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
        likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
        along Hagerstown Road.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
          Scott,

          Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
          Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

          Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
          likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
          along Hagerstown Road.

          Scott

          > Scott,
          >
          > Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
          > did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
          > come through the horrible day unscathed?

          > from

        • Tom Shay
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
            Scott Hann....indeed your material was used during the morning tour.

            Gerry...it is Capt Irish who stands atop the NJ monument. He was killed at Antietam.
            You can read info about his fate at:
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~njpchsgc/mil/irish_capt_hugh.htm

            Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
            did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
            come through the horrible day unscathed?

            Keith and Brian do a great job. Unfortunately, I missed Keith's
            Morning Phase tour. Later in the day he told me he mentioned my
            name on his tour, and used some of the research I sent him
            (Lieutenant-Colonel Wilder Dwight, 2nd Massachusetts & Captain
            Hugh
            C. Irish, 13th NJ). I'm thriled to know I was able to help.._,_.___
            Recent Activity
            a.. 2New Members
            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Get it all here

            Breaking news to

            entertainment news

            Beauty & Fashion
            on Yahoo! Groups

            Share style tips

            and advice.

            HDTV Support
            on Yahoo! Groups

            Help with Samsung

            HDTVs and devices
            .

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
              Hi Gerry,

              Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown Pike or
              Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually, when you read
              primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and not Carman, who
              gets all the press.

              Scott

              Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
              Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

              Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
              likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
              along Hagerstown Road.

              Scott

              > Scott,
              >
              > Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
              > did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
              > come through the horrible day unscathed?

              > from

              Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
              Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Members | Calendar

              Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format
              to Traditional
              2New Members
              Visit Your Group
              Yahoo! News
              Sexual Health
              Get important
              sex health news
              Moderator Central
              Get answers to
              your questions about
              running Y! Groups.
              Find Enlightenment
              Yoga groups and
              resources on
              Yahoo! Groups.

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                Scott,

                Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the walk.

                Harry
                Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
                likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
                along Hagerstown Road.

                Scott
                Recent Activity
                a.. 2New Members
                Visit Your Group
                Yahoo! News
                Kevin Sites

                Get coverage of

                world crises.

                Cat Groups
                on Yahoo! Groups

                discuss everything

                related to cats.

                Fitness Edge
                A Yahoo! Group

                about sharing fitness

                and endurance goals.
                .

              • Scott Hann
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                  Hi Harry,

                  Yep, that was me! I hope to work more closely with Keith Snyder
                  this winter so some of the photos will be included on the proposed
                  30 new waysides at Antietam and in the new trail booklets.

                  Scott

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Scott,
                  >
                  > Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking
                  about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the
                  walk.

                  > Harry

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                    I will be posting your mug on my blog in a few minutes...you were standing behind Mike Gamble when I took his picture.

                    Not to worry...your identity will be kept secret from the great unwashed.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                      Dear Scott,

                      Do you portray General Ripley? I was not sure if I caught the
                      meaning of the comment in a previous post.....

                      Also, what did Captain Irish do that Carman gave him so much
                      press?

                      > Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown
                      > Pike or
                      > Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually,
                      > when you read
                      > primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and
                      > not Carman, who
                      > gets all the press.
                      >
                      > Scott

                    • Scott Hann
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

                        Steve gave Eleazer Ripley quite a promotion! He was only a captain in the
                        8th CT, but he did lose his arm at Antietam. His photo is on the cover of
                        the September issue of America's Civil War (and I own his inscribed sword!)

                        At Antietam the 13th NJ was only in the field for a few weeks so when
                        Captain Hugh C. Irish was killed it was big news. In fact, off the top of
                        my head, I believe he was the only officer from the 13th NJ who was killed
                        in the Civil War. I haven't seen the Carman manuscript, so I don't know how
                        much he wrote about his former comrade. When I said he received more "press
                        I meant that the papers in Paterson, literally, wrote columns about his
                        life and death.

                      • Joseph Pierro
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                          By definition, a road with tolls on it is a turnpike. It's my understanding that the road to Hagerstown was (or at least had begun) as a toll road, hence the proper name would be the Hagerstown Pike. (In fact I once read that the sunken road came into use precisely as a means of bypassing the toll,)

                          As for Carman and the 13th, there's a newspaper account in the park files by a member of the 13th, from fairly soon after the battle, that claimed (falsely) Carman had to go to the rear due to illness early in the action.

                          The 13th had been ordered to cross the Hagerstown Pike and continue advancing westward into the West Woods. Being a green regiment, their advance was shaky to begin with, and they reached the first set of fences (on the east side of the Pike) in somewhat broken order. Irish crossed the second (western) fence and called upon those men closest to him to follow his lead when he was killed. Carman then recalled those that had advanced with Irish (and survived) back to the first fence, where they held for a bit before withdrawing back to the East Woods.

                          Having led the abortive spearhead of the 13th's brief foray west of the Pike, Irish is usually the standout figure in every eyewitness account of that regiment's participation at Antietam (hence his place atop the monument).

                          --jake

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                            Jake,

                            When the widow of Hugh C. Irish was too ill to attend his reburial in
                            Paterson the undertaker arranged to have a photo taken of his horse drawn
                            hearse made for her. Embroidered on a saddle blanket were his last words,
                            Rally boys, rally."

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                              Ok..will have to look for that particular issue of ACW next time
                              that I get over to the Bucks County CWRT museum library in
                              Doylestown, PA

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                It was a spontaneous battlefield promotion. What can I say? <g>

                                Stephen

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                  What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                    I think the early 60's when the Washington County Historical Society and other purchased the land around it and donated it to the NPS. They built the terrace and moved the monuments from the corner posts of the bridge. I remember them on the corners when I first visited Antietam in the 1950's, but then, I am old.

                                    What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007

                                      Thanks. I'll check with the WCHS when I drop off my membership check.

                                      And Tom, I've seen your tours. You're not getting older, you're getting
                                      better. <g>

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                        What new concrete bridge was built on the battlefield in January of
                                        1928? Thanks.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                          I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                          Turnpike....

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                            That's what I was thinking. It would've been steel after the first one
                                            collapsed. Thanks.

                                            Stephen

                                            On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 05:48 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                                            > I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                            > Turnpike....

                                          • Tom Shay
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                              These monuments were all moved off Burnside Bridge in 1964 (during it's restoration) :
                                              The 51st PA Infantry monument was removed from SE corner of bridge.
                                              The 35th MASS Infantry monument was removed from NW corner of bridge.
                                              The 21st MASS Infantry monument was removed from SW corner of bridge.

                                              What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                Awesome. Thanks.

                                                Stephen