Re: [TalkAntietam] RE:Tom's trip report

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16 7:50 PM
      I adore the Rohrbach Inn. I stayed there on every occasion while doing my research. The folks who owned it then have long since sold it. Chris and Denise Yeager still live nearby. I am endebted to them. Real good folks -- and a very nice B&B.
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17 4:26 AM
        Speaking of inns, I've been told that Lou and Regina Clark no longer operate a B&B out of the Piper Farm. If so, does anyone know what happened? (I haven't been there since 2002.)

        --jake

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17 7:11 AM
          They retired, again. As you know, Lou was already retired asa police officer. They still live there, and were present at heritage Days and the Rafuse's lecture, etc. They just do not take visitors anymore. The structure belongs to the NPS, but a long-term lease done in the 1980's allowed a local couple to restore it and use it within limited commercial guidelines, such as a B&B, buth tey do not have to do so. Lou said he was just tired of the grind so they gave up the B&B.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17 7:18 AM
            Bill,
            Sorry I did not get to the reenactment to visit. had a tour all day on Saturday, and was working at a chicken BarrB Q all day Sunday, about 600 yards from where you were. :-(
            This past weekend's weather was MUCH more pleasant.
            Tom

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17 6:24 PM
              Comments and suggestions welcome. Enjoy!
              Stephen Recker

              99 Places Every Antietam Battlefield Guide Should Know
              Maryland Campaign Marker, Dranesville, VA
              Harrison Hall
              White�s Ford
              Poolesville
              Monocacy Aquaduct
              Dr. Belt Road
              Mt. Olivet Cemetery
              Where S.O. #191 was found
              Mountville Pass
              Sgt. Benjamin Mell grave
              Bolivar
              South Mountain Creamery
              Turner�s, Fox�s, and Crampton�s Gap
              Brownsville Pass
              Lamb�s Knoll
              Jacob Wise�s Well site
              North Carolina Monument
              Maryland Campaign Markers, Harper�s Ferry
              Escape Route of Harper�s Ferry Cavalry Expedition
              Route of A.P. Hill�s March
              Shepherdstown Ford War Department tablets
              Boteler's Cement Mill
              Elmwood Cemetery
              Henry Kyd Douglas grave
              Boteler�s, Blackford�s, Packhorse, and Shepherdstown Ford
              Ferry Hill
              Nine Standing Cannon Tube Monument site
              Mt. Airy
              Rose Hill Cemetery
              Reno Post #4 site
              Longstreet�s Ammunition Train Marker
              Beaver Creek
              Bakersville
              Antietam Furnace and Aquaduct
              Antietam Iron Works
              Antietam Village
              Pry�s Ford
              Pry House
              Upper Bridge
              Smoketown site
              Bas relief of Massachusetts regimental positions
              Only Confederate Cannon Tube used at the battle
              Hagerstown Pike tollbooth site
              Mary Locher Farm
              Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
              Nicodemus Heights
              Hauser Ridge
              The Rocky Ledge
              Jackson�s Rocks
              Philadelphia Brigade Park
              Poffenberger�s Snack Stand site
              Lawson�s Snack Stand site
              Graham�s Battery site
              Longstreet�s Battery site
              Rivulet built with stones from original tower
              Middle Bridge site
              Old Simon
              Bivouac of the Dead
              Lee�s Rock site
              The Stone Mill
              Original locations of 2nd MD, 51st PA, 21st MA, and 35th MA monuments
              Lower Bridge
              11th Connecticut Monument
              Burnside�s Sycamore
              Molly�s Hole
              Snavely�s Ford
              Belinda Springs
              Myer�s Ford
              Gregg�s Stone Wall
              Otto Farm Lane
              40-acre Cornfield, including the old park fence-line
              Narrow Cornfield
              1st Ohio Light Artillery Monument
              Syke�s Division Marker
              Jacob Miller farm
              Sharpsburg Spring
              O.T. Reilly�s Relic Shop and War Museum site
              Martin Burgan�s Store site
              16th Connecticut Windows
              Jacob Grove House
              Nutter�s Ice Cream
              Lee�s Headquarters in the field
              Location of Gardner photographs sites
              Hospital Sites
              Historic Home sites
              All 6 Mortuary Cannon

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17 6:38 PM
                I heard Dana Shoaf speak. It was great. Kudos to SHAF for their great
                series of speakers. Really added to the offerings.

                Missed running into Brian Downey, and saw too few ranger tours. Great
                to see so many old-timers and new faces as well. It was a real party
                with things to do everywhere, but not overcrowded. Great job by all.

                Lots of Antietam Battlefield Guides out there, too. When is Tom Shay
                going to sign up? Heck, he's already the on the poster.

                Scott Hann was there is full uniform, sans General Ripley's left arm.
                If you ask him again he might tell you more about Hugh Irish. He knows
                more about him than he is letting on.

                Stephen

                > Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
                > likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
                > along Hagerstown Road.
              • The Mills
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18 12:00 PM
                  I see this list, but I have to ask: are there actual Antietam tour guides you can hire like in Gettysburg? And if so: how would one go about hiring one of them? I have been to Antietam many times, but never have seen an actual tour guide.

                  Thanks
                  Andy

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18 12:35 PM
                    Hi Stephen,

                    Sorry to miss you Saturday. You musta had a million tours to lead,
                    right? I saw Dana a few minutes before he spoke, so we may have passed
                    as ships in the night :)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 18 12:46 PM
                      Brian,

                      I did a tour Saturday morning for some bloke from England who likes our
                      Civil War better than his because his "happened so long ago and doesn't
                      have any photos." It was a lot of fun, but with guys like Ed Bearrs,
                      Tom Clemens and the NPS Rangers giving tours, groovy guys like you
                      hanging out, and the SHAF folks giving talks, I ducked out after my
                      first tour so that I could go play.

                      Stephen

                      On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 03:35 PM, Brian Downey wrote:

                      > Sorry to miss you Saturday. You musta had a million tours to lead,
                      > right? I saw Dana a few minutes before he spoke, so we may have passed
                      > as ships in the night :)
                    • Joyce A. Mader
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 18 2:43 PM
                        I contacted the park office at Antietam and they provided me with contact information for a list of available guides. I did hire one of the guides who did a very good job. I believe that this was in 2005.

                        Joyce Mader