Re: RE:Tom's trip report

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
      I was at Antietam on Friday signing copies of my Human Interest Stories
      from Antetiam for the Visitors Center, then my son and I took in Jim
      Bailey's artillery talk and John Hoptak's afternoon car tour before
      heading back to York. Some personal conflicts prevented me from
      visiting again today for the battlewalks.
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
        I adore the Rohrbach Inn. I stayed there on every occasion while doing my research. The folks who owned it then have long since sold it. Chris and Denise Yeager still live nearby. I am endebted to them. Real good folks -- and a very nice B&B.
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
          Speaking of inns, I've been told that Lou and Regina Clark no longer operate a B&B out of the Piper Farm. If so, does anyone know what happened? (I haven't been there since 2002.)

          --jake

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
            They retired, again. As you know, Lou was already retired asa police officer. They still live there, and were present at heritage Days and the Rafuse's lecture, etc. They just do not take visitors anymore. The structure belongs to the NPS, but a long-term lease done in the 1980's allowed a local couple to restore it and use it within limited commercial guidelines, such as a B&B, buth tey do not have to do so. Lou said he was just tired of the grind so they gave up the B&B.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
              Bill,
              Sorry I did not get to the reenactment to visit. had a tour all day on Saturday, and was working at a chicken BarrB Q all day Sunday, about 600 yards from where you were. :-(
              This past weekend's weather was MUCH more pleasant.
              Tom

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
                Comments and suggestions welcome. Enjoy!
                Stephen Recker

                99 Places Every Antietam Battlefield Guide Should Know
                Maryland Campaign Marker, Dranesville, VA
                Harrison Hall
                White�s Ford
                Poolesville
                Monocacy Aquaduct
                Dr. Belt Road
                Mt. Olivet Cemetery
                Where S.O. #191 was found
                Mountville Pass
                Sgt. Benjamin Mell grave
                Bolivar
                South Mountain Creamery
                Turner�s, Fox�s, and Crampton�s Gap
                Brownsville Pass
                Lamb�s Knoll
                Jacob Wise�s Well site
                North Carolina Monument
                Maryland Campaign Markers, Harper�s Ferry
                Escape Route of Harper�s Ferry Cavalry Expedition
                Route of A.P. Hill�s March
                Shepherdstown Ford War Department tablets
                Boteler's Cement Mill
                Elmwood Cemetery
                Henry Kyd Douglas grave
                Boteler�s, Blackford�s, Packhorse, and Shepherdstown Ford
                Ferry Hill
                Nine Standing Cannon Tube Monument site
                Mt. Airy
                Rose Hill Cemetery
                Reno Post #4 site
                Longstreet�s Ammunition Train Marker
                Beaver Creek
                Bakersville
                Antietam Furnace and Aquaduct
                Antietam Iron Works
                Antietam Village
                Pry�s Ford
                Pry House
                Upper Bridge
                Smoketown site
                Bas relief of Massachusetts regimental positions
                Only Confederate Cannon Tube used at the battle
                Hagerstown Pike tollbooth site
                Mary Locher Farm
                Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                Nicodemus Heights
                Hauser Ridge
                The Rocky Ledge
                Jackson�s Rocks
                Philadelphia Brigade Park
                Poffenberger�s Snack Stand site
                Lawson�s Snack Stand site
                Graham�s Battery site
                Longstreet�s Battery site
                Rivulet built with stones from original tower
                Middle Bridge site
                Old Simon
                Bivouac of the Dead
                Lee�s Rock site
                The Stone Mill
                Original locations of 2nd MD, 51st PA, 21st MA, and 35th MA monuments
                Lower Bridge
                11th Connecticut Monument
                Burnside�s Sycamore
                Molly�s Hole
                Snavely�s Ford
                Belinda Springs
                Myer�s Ford
                Gregg�s Stone Wall
                Otto Farm Lane
                40-acre Cornfield, including the old park fence-line
                Narrow Cornfield
                1st Ohio Light Artillery Monument
                Syke�s Division Marker
                Jacob Miller farm
                Sharpsburg Spring
                O.T. Reilly�s Relic Shop and War Museum site
                Martin Burgan�s Store site
                16th Connecticut Windows
                Jacob Grove House
                Nutter�s Ice Cream
                Lee�s Headquarters in the field
                Location of Gardner photographs sites
                Hospital Sites
                Historic Home sites
                All 6 Mortuary Cannon

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
                  I heard Dana Shoaf speak. It was great. Kudos to SHAF for their great
                  series of speakers. Really added to the offerings.

                  Missed running into Brian Downey, and saw too few ranger tours. Great
                  to see so many old-timers and new faces as well. It was a real party
                  with things to do everywhere, but not overcrowded. Great job by all.

                  Lots of Antietam Battlefield Guides out there, too. When is Tom Shay
                  going to sign up? Heck, he's already the on the poster.

                  Scott Hann was there is full uniform, sans General Ripley's left arm.
                  If you ask him again he might tell you more about Hugh Irish. He knows
                  more about him than he is letting on.

                  Stephen

                  > Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
                  > likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
                  > along Hagerstown Road.
                • The Mills
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                    I see this list, but I have to ask: are there actual Antietam tour guides you can hire like in Gettysburg? And if so: how would one go about hiring one of them? I have been to Antietam many times, but never have seen an actual tour guide.

                    Thanks
                    Andy

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                      Hi Stephen,

                      Sorry to miss you Saturday. You musta had a million tours to lead,
                      right? I saw Dana a few minutes before he spoke, so we may have passed
                      as ships in the night :)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                        Brian,

                        I did a tour Saturday morning for some bloke from England who likes our
                        Civil War better than his because his "happened so long ago and doesn't
                        have any photos." It was a lot of fun, but with guys like Ed Bearrs,
                        Tom Clemens and the NPS Rangers giving tours, groovy guys like you
                        hanging out, and the SHAF folks giving talks, I ducked out after my
                        first tour so that I could go play.

                        Stephen

                        On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 03:35 PM, Brian Downey wrote:

                        > Sorry to miss you Saturday. You musta had a million tours to lead,
                        > right? I saw Dana a few minutes before he spoke, so we may have passed
                        > as ships in the night :)
                      • Joyce A. Mader
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                          I contacted the park office at Antietam and they provided me with contact information for a list of available guides. I did hire one of the guides who did a very good job. I believe that this was in 2005.

                          Joyce Mader