RE:Tom's trip report

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16 7:11 AM

      Thanks for the report. I was in the area last weekend while attending the September Storm event with my wife who was one of the merchants at the event. We stayed at the Jacob Rohrbach Inn and dined at Captain Benders several times. On Friday, I toured the new clearing and also spent some time at the Pry House. I made some connections with the South Mountain Battlefield folks. I was also drawn again to the Bloody Lane--remembering my experience with the Antietam Documentary filming. It was a very hot day so I rested in the shade of the National Cemetery before returning to the event site. While not an organized tour, it was a rewarding trek.

      I wish that I could have stayed through this weekend to meet up with you and the others.

      Bill Christen

    • Scott Mingus
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16 8:44 AM
        I was at Antietam on Friday signing copies of my Human Interest Stories
        from Antetiam for the Visitors Center, then my son and I took in Jim
        Bailey's artillery talk and John Hoptak's afternoon car tour before
        heading back to York. Some personal conflicts prevented me from
        visiting again today for the battlewalks.
      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16 7:50 PM
          I adore the Rohrbach Inn. I stayed there on every occasion while doing my research. The folks who owned it then have long since sold it. Chris and Denise Yeager still live nearby. I am endebted to them. Real good folks -- and a very nice B&B.
          Thanks for the report. I was in the area last weekend while attending the September Storm event with my wife who was one of the merchants at the event. We stayed at the Jacob Rohrbach Inn and dined at Captain Benders several times. On Friday, I toured the new clearing and also spent some time at the Pry House. I made some connections with the South Mountain Battlefield folks. I was also drawn again to the Bloody Lane--remembering my experience with the Antietam Documentary filming. It was a very hot day so I rested in the shade of the National Cemetery before returning to the event site. While not an organized tour, it was a rewarding trek.

          I wish that I could have stayed through this weekend to meet up with you and the others.

          Bill Christen

        • Joseph Pierro
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17 4:26 AM
            Speaking of inns, I've been told that Lou and Regina Clark no longer operate a B&B out of the Piper Farm. If so, does anyone know what happened? (I haven't been there since 2002.)

            --jake

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17 7:11 AM
              They retired, again. As you know, Lou was already retired asa police officer. They still live there, and were present at heritage Days and the Rafuse's lecture, etc. They just do not take visitors anymore. The structure belongs to the NPS, but a long-term lease done in the 1980's allowed a local couple to restore it and use it within limited commercial guidelines, such as a B&B, buth tey do not have to do so. Lou said he was just tired of the grind so they gave up the B&B.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17 7:18 AM
                Bill,
                Sorry I did not get to the reenactment to visit. had a tour all day on Saturday, and was working at a chicken BarrB Q all day Sunday, about 600 yards from where you were. :-(
                This past weekend's weather was MUCH more pleasant.
                Tom

                >>> "Bill and Glenna Jo Christen" <gwjchris@...> 09/16/07 10:11 AM >>>

                Tom,

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17 6:24 PM
                  Comments and suggestions welcome. Enjoy!
                  Stephen Recker

                  99 Places Every Antietam Battlefield Guide Should Know
                  Maryland Campaign Marker, Dranesville, VA
                  Harrison Hall
                  White�s Ford
                  Poolesville
                  Monocacy Aquaduct
                  Dr. Belt Road
                  Mt. Olivet Cemetery
                  Where S.O. #191 was found
                  Mountville Pass
                  Sgt. Benjamin Mell grave
                  Bolivar
                  South Mountain Creamery
                  Turner�s, Fox�s, and Crampton�s Gap
                  Brownsville Pass
                  Lamb�s Knoll
                  Jacob Wise�s Well site
                  North Carolina Monument
                  Maryland Campaign Markers, Harper�s Ferry
                  Escape Route of Harper�s Ferry Cavalry Expedition
                  Route of A.P. Hill�s March
                  Shepherdstown Ford War Department tablets
                  Boteler's Cement Mill
                  Elmwood Cemetery
                  Henry Kyd Douglas grave
                  Boteler�s, Blackford�s, Packhorse, and Shepherdstown Ford
                  Ferry Hill
                  Nine Standing Cannon Tube Monument site
                  Mt. Airy
                  Rose Hill Cemetery
                  Reno Post #4 site
                  Longstreet�s Ammunition Train Marker
                  Beaver Creek
                  Bakersville
                  Antietam Furnace and Aquaduct
                  Antietam Iron Works
                  Antietam Village
                  Pry�s Ford
                  Pry House
                  Upper Bridge
                  Smoketown site
                  Bas relief of Massachusetts regimental positions
                  Only Confederate Cannon Tube used at the battle
                  Hagerstown Pike tollbooth site
                  Mary Locher Farm
                  Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                  Nicodemus Heights
                  Hauser Ridge
                  The Rocky Ledge
                  Jackson�s Rocks
                  Philadelphia Brigade Park
                  Poffenberger�s Snack Stand site
                  Lawson�s Snack Stand site
                  Graham�s Battery site
                  Longstreet�s Battery site
                  Rivulet built with stones from original tower
                  Middle Bridge site
                  Old Simon
                  Bivouac of the Dead
                  Lee�s Rock site
                  The Stone Mill
                  Original locations of 2nd MD, 51st PA, 21st MA, and 35th MA monuments
                  Lower Bridge
                  11th Connecticut Monument
                  Burnside�s Sycamore
                  Molly�s Hole
                  Snavely�s Ford
                  Belinda Springs
                  Myer�s Ford
                  Gregg�s Stone Wall
                  Otto Farm Lane
                  40-acre Cornfield, including the old park fence-line
                  Narrow Cornfield
                  1st Ohio Light Artillery Monument
                  Syke�s Division Marker
                  Jacob Miller farm
                  Sharpsburg Spring
                  O.T. Reilly�s Relic Shop and War Museum site
                  Martin Burgan�s Store site
                  16th Connecticut Windows
                  Jacob Grove House
                  Nutter�s Ice Cream
                  Lee�s Headquarters in the field
                  Location of Gardner photographs sites
                  Hospital Sites
                  Historic Home sites
                  All 6 Mortuary Cannon

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 17 6:38 PM
                    I heard Dana Shoaf speak. It was great. Kudos to SHAF for their great
                    series of speakers. Really added to the offerings.

                    Missed running into Brian Downey, and saw too few ranger tours. Great
                    to see so many old-timers and new faces as well. It was a real party
                    with things to do everywhere, but not overcrowded. Great job by all.

                    Lots of Antietam Battlefield Guides out there, too. When is Tom Shay
                    going to sign up? Heck, he's already the on the poster.

                    Scott Hann was there is full uniform, sans General Ripley's left arm.
                    If you ask him again he might tell you more about Hugh Irish. He knows
                    more about him than he is letting on.

                    Stephen

                    > Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
                    > likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
                    > along Hagerstown Road.
                  • The Mills
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 18 12:00 PM
                      I see this list, but I have to ask: are there actual Antietam tour guides you can hire like in Gettysburg? And if so: how would one go about hiring one of them? I have been to Antietam many times, but never have seen an actual tour guide.

                      Thanks
                      Andy

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 18 12:35 PM
                        Hi Stephen,

                        Sorry to miss you Saturday. You musta had a million tours to lead,
                        right? I saw Dana a few minutes before he spoke, so we may have passed
                        as ships in the night :)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 18 12:46 PM
                          Brian,

                          I did a tour Saturday morning for some bloke from England who likes our
                          Civil War better than his because his "happened so long ago and doesn't
                          have any photos." It was a lot of fun, but with guys like Ed Bearrs,
                          Tom Clemens and the NPS Rangers giving tours, groovy guys like you
                          hanging out, and the SHAF folks giving talks, I ducked out after my
                          first tour so that I could go play.

                          Stephen

                          On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 03:35 PM, Brian Downey wrote:

                          > Sorry to miss you Saturday. You musta had a million tours to lead,
                          > right? I saw Dana a few minutes before he spoke, so we may have passed
                          > as ships in the night :)
                        • Joyce A. Mader
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 18 2:43 PM
                            I contacted the park office at Antietam and they provided me with contact information for a list of available guides. I did hire one of the guides who did a very good job. I believe that this was in 2005.

                            Joyce Mader