My Trip Report for 09-15-2007

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 15, 2007
      I have begun a report from my trip today to Antietam. It was great to see Tom Clemens, Stephen Recker, Ted Alexander, Brian Downey, and so many other great people!

      As part of the afternoon tour, we visited a piece of terrain that has only recently been exposed. A quarry east of Burnside Bridge is now visible!

      You can read the first part of my trip report at:
      http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/TripReport20070915.htm

    • david lutton
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
        Kudos to Park service rangers Keith and Brian for their effort to find fresh material so that return trampers like myself are educated and entertained. Nice job guys.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg PA

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
          Keith and Brian do a great job. Unfortunately, I missed Keith's
          Morning Phase tour. Later in the day he told me he mentioned my
          name on his tour, and used some of the research I sent him
          (Lieutenant-Colonel Wilder Dwight, 2nd Massachusetts & Captain Hugh
          C. Irish, 13th NJ). I'm thriled to know I was able to help.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "david lutton" <dunkerch@...>

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
            Scott,

            Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
            did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
            come through the horrible day unscathed?

            wrote:

            > Kudos to Park service rangers Keith and Brian for their effort
            find fresh material so that return trampers like myself are
            educated
            and entertained. Nice job guys.

            > David Lutton
            > Hollidaysburg PA

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

              Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
              likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
              along Hagerstown Road.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                Scott,

                Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
                Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

                Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
                likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
                along Hagerstown Road.

                Scott

                > Scott,
                >
                > Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
                > did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
                > come through the horrible day unscathed?

                > from

              • Tom Shay
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                  Scott Hann....indeed your material was used during the morning tour.

                  Gerry...it is Capt Irish who stands atop the NJ monument. He was killed at Antietam.
                  You can read info about his fate at:
                  http://www.rootsweb.com/~njpchsgc/mil/irish_capt_hugh.htm

                  Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
                  did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
                  come through the horrible day unscathed?

                  Keith and Brian do a great job. Unfortunately, I missed Keith's
                  Morning Phase tour. Later in the day he told me he mentioned my
                  name on his tour, and used some of the research I sent him
                  (Lieutenant-Colonel Wilder Dwight, 2nd Massachusetts & Captain
                  Hugh
                  C. Irish, 13th NJ). I'm thriled to know I was able to help.._,_.___
                  Recent Activity
                  a.. 2New Members
                  Visit Your Group
                  Yahoo! News
                  Get it all here

                  Breaking news to

                  entertainment news

                  Beauty & Fashion
                  on Yahoo! Groups

                  Share style tips

                  and advice.

                  HDTV Support
                  on Yahoo! Groups

                  Help with Samsung

                  HDTVs and devices
                  .

                • Scott Hann
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                    Hi Gerry,

                    Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown Pike or
                    Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually, when you read
                    primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and not Carman, who
                    gets all the press.

                    Scott

                    Thanks! Hagerstown Road...that is the old Turnpike, right? NJ
                    Monument not far from the Dunkard Church?

                    Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
                    likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
                    along Hagerstown Road.

                    Scott

                    > Scott,
                    >
                    > Since the 13th was commanded by Col Ezra Carman, what position
                    > did Capt Irish have in the regiment? Was he wounded or did he
                    > come through the horrible day unscathed?

                    > from

                    Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                    Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Members | Calendar

                    Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format
                    to Traditional
                    2New Members
                    Visit Your Group
                    Yahoo! News
                    Sexual Health
                    Get important
                    sex health news
                    Moderator Central
                    Get answers to
                    your questions about
                    running Y! Groups.
                    Find Enlightenment
                    Yoga groups and
                    resources on
                    Yahoo! Groups.

                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                      Scott,

                      Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the walk.

                      Harry
                      Hugh Irish was captain of Company K. He was killed, and his
                      likeness, with sword raised, stands atop the New Jersey monument
                      along Hagerstown Road.

                      Scott
                      Recent Activity
                      a.. 2New Members
                      Visit Your Group
                      Yahoo! News
                      Kevin Sites

                      Get coverage of

                      world crises.

                      Cat Groups
                      on Yahoo! Groups

                      discuss everything

                      related to cats.

                      Fitness Edge
                      A Yahoo! Group

                      about sharing fitness

                      and endurance goals.
                      .

                    • Scott Hann
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                        Hi Harry,

                        Yep, that was me! I hope to work more closely with Keith Snyder
                        this winter so some of the photos will be included on the proposed
                        30 new waysides at Antietam and in the new trail booklets.

                        Scott

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Scott,
                        >
                        > Were you on the 2nd Corps tour on Sunday? I heard someone talking
                        about their collection of killed and MW officer photos during the
                        walk.

                        > Harry

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                          I will be posting your mug on my blog in a few minutes...you were standing behind Mike Gamble when I took his picture.

                          Not to worry...your identity will be kept secret from the great unwashed.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                            Dear Scott,

                            Do you portray General Ripley? I was not sure if I caught the
                            meaning of the comment in a previous post.....

                            Also, what did Captain Irish do that Carman gave him so much
                            press?

                            > Yes. I don't know which is more correct: to call it Hagerstown
                            > Pike or
                            > Hagerstown Road. They seem to be interchangeable. Actually,
                            > when you read
                            > primary accounts of the 13th NJ at Antietam it is Irish, and
                            > not Carman, who
                            > gets all the press.
                            >
                            > Scott

                          • Scott Hann
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007

                              Steve gave Eleazer Ripley quite a promotion! He was only a captain in the
                              8th CT, but he did lose his arm at Antietam. His photo is on the cover of
                              the September issue of America's Civil War (and I own his inscribed sword!)

                              At Antietam the 13th NJ was only in the field for a few weeks so when
                              Captain Hugh C. Irish was killed it was big news. In fact, off the top of
                              my head, I believe he was the only officer from the 13th NJ who was killed
                              in the Civil War. I haven't seen the Carman manuscript, so I don't know how
                              much he wrote about his former comrade. When I said he received more "press
                              I meant that the papers in Paterson, literally, wrote columns about his
                              life and death.

                            • Joseph Pierro
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                                By definition, a road with tolls on it is a turnpike. It's my understanding that the road to Hagerstown was (or at least had begun) as a toll road, hence the proper name would be the Hagerstown Pike. (In fact I once read that the sunken road came into use precisely as a means of bypassing the toll,)

                                As for Carman and the 13th, there's a newspaper account in the park files by a member of the 13th, from fairly soon after the battle, that claimed (falsely) Carman had to go to the rear due to illness early in the action.

                                The 13th had been ordered to cross the Hagerstown Pike and continue advancing westward into the West Woods. Being a green regiment, their advance was shaky to begin with, and they reached the first set of fences (on the east side of the Pike) in somewhat broken order. Irish crossed the second (western) fence and called upon those men closest to him to follow his lead when he was killed. Carman then recalled those that had advanced with Irish (and survived) back to the first fence, where they held for a bit before withdrawing back to the East Woods.

                                Having led the abortive spearhead of the 13th's brief foray west of the Pike, Irish is usually the standout figure in every eyewitness account of that regiment's participation at Antietam (hence his place atop the monument).

                                --jake

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                                  Jake,

                                  When the widow of Hugh C. Irish was too ill to attend his reburial in
                                  Paterson the undertaker arranged to have a photo taken of his horse drawn
                                  hearse made for her. Embroidered on a saddle blanket were his last words,
                                  Rally boys, rally."

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 17, 2007
                                    Ok..will have to look for that particular issue of ACW next time
                                    that I get over to the Bucks County CWRT museum library in
                                    Doylestown, PA

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                      It was a spontaneous battlefield promotion. What can I say? <g>

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                        What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                          I think the early 60's when the Washington County Historical Society and other purchased the land around it and donated it to the NPS. They built the terrace and moved the monuments from the corner posts of the bridge. I remember them on the corners when I first visited Antietam in the 1950's, but then, I am old.

                                          What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007

                                            Thanks. I'll check with the WCHS when I drop off my membership check.

                                            And Tom, I've seen your tours. You're not getting older, you're getting
                                            better. <g>

                                            Stephen

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                              What new concrete bridge was built on the battlefield in January of
                                              1928? Thanks.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                                Turnpike....

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                  That's what I was thinking. It would've been steel after the first one
                                                  collapsed. Thanks.

                                                  Stephen

                                                  On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 05:48 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                                                  > I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                                                  > Turnpike....

                                                • Tom Shay
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                    These monuments were all moved off Burnside Bridge in 1964 (during it's restoration) :
                                                    The 51st PA Infantry monument was removed from SE corner of bridge.
                                                    The 35th MASS Infantry monument was removed from NW corner of bridge.
                                                    The 21st MASS Infantry monument was removed from SW corner of bridge.

                                                    What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                      Awesome. Thanks.

                                                      Stephen