Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: South Mountain markers-Nagle's brigade

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
      Well, you BOTH have rather remarkable websites. I'm only sorry I hadn;t discovered Stephen's sooner.

      When people talk about "digital history" (the buzzword du jour these days in college history departments), your sites represent the best of what the Web can offer.

      --jake

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
        Brian,

        No, YOU da man.

        Actually I do appreciate the kind words. Another thought about the
        differences in the two databases. Virtual Antietam is a simple keyword
        search of the text of the markers and monuments. You gotta know what
        you are looking for, because if you keyword search for "Maryland" and
        the marker says, MD, you are out of luck. AotW, on the other hand, is
        an actual relational database that will parse out specific narrow
        searches.

        So if I am at a book show and I need to find out if the 16th Alaska
        Dogsled Team was at Antietam, I fire up AotW and it finds it for me. If
        I want to see what the area behind the marker looks like I use Virtual
        Antietam.

        I didn't find the data for the 'lost markers' at the archives. I got a
        folder from Jane Custer that has pictures of every marker on the field.
        She has photos of a few markers that are gone, an example being the one
        that used to be on the house near Middle Bridge.

        In some of my the postcards and battlefield photos I have seen missing
        markers and markers that have been moved. There is a great Burgan
        postcard that shows the three markers for Sedgwick's brigades placed
        just north of the 15th MA monument. They are now south of it down the
        hill. I also have a photos of an old marker that used to be in front of
        Old Simon. It looks like it is the congressional act creating the
        cemetery. There is no marker there now. And there used to be a marker
        just south west of the NJ monument.

        Stephen