Sharpsburg for the Anniversary (was :South Mountain markers)

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hello Talk friends,

      I'll be at Sharpsburg and the Battlefield all day on Saturday. Alert
      the media :) Haven't set schedule, but will try to cram in as much as
      possible. I'll prob wear an AotW tee shirt - please give me an elbow
      poke if I don't see you first. If you put your email address on your
      forehead, I'll probably recognize that since I don't know many by face

      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

      > I'll be arriving at Sharpsburg Saturday morning to work the SHAF
      table at
      > the festival for awhile. I'll probably stop at the VC first to pick
      up tour
      > schedule, and hope to go on at least one walk on Saturday and maybe
      two on
      > Sunday before I head back home. I'll be attending Ethan Rafuse's
      talk on
      > Saturday night. Hope to see fellow list members there.
      >
      > Harry

    • Joseph Pierro
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
        Well, you BOTH have rather remarkable websites. I'm only sorry I hadn;t discovered Stephen's sooner.

        When people talk about "digital history" (the buzzword du jour these days in college history departments), your sites represent the best of what the Web can offer.

        --jake

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
          Brian,

          No, YOU da man.

          Actually I do appreciate the kind words. Another thought about the
          differences in the two databases. Virtual Antietam is a simple keyword
          search of the text of the markers and monuments. You gotta know what
          you are looking for, because if you keyword search for "Maryland" and
          the marker says, MD, you are out of luck. AotW, on the other hand, is
          an actual relational database that will parse out specific narrow
          searches.

          So if I am at a book show and I need to find out if the 16th Alaska
          Dogsled Team was at Antietam, I fire up AotW and it finds it for me. If
          I want to see what the area behind the marker looks like I use Virtual
          Antietam.

          I didn't find the data for the 'lost markers' at the archives. I got a
          folder from Jane Custer that has pictures of every marker on the field.
          She has photos of a few markers that are gone, an example being the one
          that used to be on the house near Middle Bridge.

          In some of my the postcards and battlefield photos I have seen missing
          markers and markers that have been moved. There is a great Burgan
          postcard that shows the three markers for Sedgwick's brigades placed
          just north of the 15th MA monument. They are now south of it down the
          hill. I also have a photos of an old marker that used to be in front of
          Old Simon. It looks like it is the congressional act creating the
          cemetery. There is no marker there now. And there used to be a marker
          just south west of the NJ monument.

          Stephen