Re: [TalkAntietam] read any good books

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
      Bill Frasanito's book is good reading, but not to understand the battle. I
      recommend Joe Harsh's new book Taken at the Flood to understand the
      Confederate side, and Murfin's Gleam of Bayonets as a reasonable overview of
      the battle. A good summary piece is Perry Jamieson's Death in September.

      stephen.connor2@... wrote:

      > can any one recommend any good books on antietam / south montain
      > is the book by farasino (not sure of spelling)any good
      > thanks . steve...........

    • James Mattes
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2001
        I alway give out three to four books to some of my
        soldiers here in Maryland when they go off to the
        advanced NCO course (part of their battlefield
        studies). The first is the US Army War College Guide
        to the Battle of Anteitam by Luvaas and Nelson, Second
        is Landscape Turned Red by Stephen Sears, third the
        Murfin book, Frassantito deals more with the
        photograhic history of the site, A very good short
        read is the Time Life book "Bloody April" part of the
        Civil War Series. I have picked up several copies over
        the years at used bookstores for a song, very cheap.
        VR
        James Mattes

        http://personals.yahoo.com