Re: South Mountain markers-Nagle's brigade

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hi Jake,

      For the record, Stephen had all the monuments and tablets online on
      Virtual Antietam long before I had any on AotW. Also, mine aren't
      actually tablet images, though Stephen's are. Mine are text --
      formatted to look like tablets -- so the content is Google-searchable
      and I have tablets with text for those long lost from the actual
      battlefield (based on Carman/Heth's notes from the Archives). AotW
      versions are also linked to maps and military units mentioned for
      cross reference.

      You want to look at what's actually on the field? Go see Stephen.

      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro <joseph_pierro@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Steve! I knew of the full set of tablet images from Antietam
      battlefiled on the AOTW site, but didn't realize someone had captured
      the remaining ones from outside of the park boundary.
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
        Hello Talk friends,

        I'll be at Sharpsburg and the Battlefield all day on Saturday. Alert
        the media :) Haven't set schedule, but will try to cram in as much as
        possible. I'll prob wear an AotW tee shirt - please give me an elbow
        poke if I don't see you first. If you put your email address on your
        forehead, I'll probably recognize that since I don't know many by face

        Brian

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

        > I'll be arriving at Sharpsburg Saturday morning to work the SHAF
        table at
        > the festival for awhile. I'll probably stop at the VC first to pick
        up tour
        > schedule, and hope to go on at least one walk on Saturday and maybe
        two on
        > Sunday before I head back home. I'll be attending Ethan Rafuse's
        talk on
        > Saturday night. Hope to see fellow list members there.
        >
        > Harry

      • Joseph Pierro
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
          Well, you BOTH have rather remarkable websites. I'm only sorry I hadn;t discovered Stephen's sooner.

          When people talk about "digital history" (the buzzword du jour these days in college history departments), your sites represent the best of what the Web can offer.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
            Brian,

            No, YOU da man.

            Actually I do appreciate the kind words. Another thought about the
            differences in the two databases. Virtual Antietam is a simple keyword
            search of the text of the markers and monuments. You gotta know what
            you are looking for, because if you keyword search for "Maryland" and
            the marker says, MD, you are out of luck. AotW, on the other hand, is
            an actual relational database that will parse out specific narrow
            searches.

            So if I am at a book show and I need to find out if the 16th Alaska
            Dogsled Team was at Antietam, I fire up AotW and it finds it for me. If
            I want to see what the area behind the marker looks like I use Virtual
            Antietam.

            I didn't find the data for the 'lost markers' at the archives. I got a
            folder from Jane Custer that has pictures of every marker on the field.
            She has photos of a few markers that are gone, an example being the one
            that used to be on the house near Middle Bridge.

            In some of my the postcards and battlefield photos I have seen missing
            markers and markers that have been moved. There is a great Burgan
            postcard that shows the three markers for Sedgwick's brigades placed
            just north of the 15th MA monument. They are now south of it down the
            hill. I also have a photos of an old marker that used to be in front of
            Old Simon. It looks like it is the congressional act creating the
            cemetery. There is no marker there now. And there used to be a marker
            just south west of the NJ monument.

            Stephen