read any good books

  • stephen.connor2@virgin.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
      can any one recommend any good books on antietam / south montain
      is the book by farasino (not sure of spelling)any good
      thanks . steve...........
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
        Bill Frasanito's book is good reading, but not to understand the battle. I
        recommend Joe Harsh's new book Taken at the Flood to understand the
        Confederate side, and Murfin's Gleam of Bayonets as a reasonable overview of
        the battle. A good summary piece is Perry Jamieson's Death in September.

        stephen.connor2@... wrote:

        > can any one recommend any good books on antietam / south montain
        > is the book by farasino (not sure of spelling)any good
        > thanks . steve...........

      • James Mattes
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2001
          I alway give out three to four books to some of my
          soldiers here in Maryland when they go off to the
          advanced NCO course (part of their battlefield
          studies). The first is the US Army War College Guide
          to the Battle of Anteitam by Luvaas and Nelson, Second
          is Landscape Turned Red by Stephen Sears, third the
          Murfin book, Frassantito deals more with the
          photograhic history of the site, A very good short
          read is the Time Life book "Bloody April" part of the
          Civil War Series. I have picked up several copies over
          the years at used bookstores for a song, very cheap.
          VR
          James Mattes

          http://personals.yahoo.com