Re: [TalkAntietam] South Mountain markers-Nagle's brigade

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
      There are no cast iron markers at Fox's Gap. I don't recall seeing one for Nagle's brigade at Turner's either, but would not stake my life on that memory.

      >>> "joseph_pierro" <joseph_pierro@...> 09/12/07 1:40 PM >>>

      Does anyone happen to know if there's one of those Carman-era iron
      markers at Fox's Gap that covers Nagle's brigade in particular?

      If there is one, does anyone know how it lists his rank? I'm curious
      to know if it says "Brigadier General" (as at Antietam) or "Colonel."

      (I'd ask Steve Stotlmeyer, but I don't have his email. If anyone does
      and would be willing to pass it along, I'd be much obliged!)

      --jake

    • RoteBaron@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
        Joe,

        The AoTW site has photos of the IX Corps tablets posted online.
        I hope (but cannot be sure) that the list is all inclusive.
        URL is: http://aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=84

        You can also contact John Hoptak, who is an avid historian of General Nagle. He is a ranger at Antietam. We're both Schuylkill Countians, home of Nagle and the glorious 48th PA.

        Contact John via his blog at http://48thpennsylvania.blogspot.com/

        Any date when the new Carman book will be published?

        Tom Shay - (I willl arrive at Antietam on Saturday at dawn for the ranger tours and SHAF events),_._,___

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
          The Virtual Antietam website has a keyword searchable database of all
          of the Maryland Campaign tablets including Turner's Pass, Crampton's
          Gap, Shepherdstown Ford, Harper's Ferry, etc. It even includes the
          markers that were there at one time but are now missing. Enjoy.

          http://www.virtualantietam.com/

          None at Fox's Gap, though.

          Stephen Recker

          On Wednesday, September 12, 2007, at 01:40 PM, joseph_pierro wrote:

          > Does anyone happen to know if there's one of those Carman-era iron
          > markers at Fox's Gap that covers Nagle's brigade in particular?

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
            I'll be arriving at Sharpsburg Saturday morning to work the SHAF table at
            the festival for awhile. I'll probably stop at the VC first to pick up tour
            schedule, and hope to go on at least one walk on Saturday and maybe two on
            Sunday before I head back home. I'll be attending Ethan Rafuse's talk on
            Saturday night. Hope to see fellow list members there.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
              Thanks, Tom. I didn't THINK there were any at Fox's, and the only ones I recall at Turner's were a few VERY general ones along the National Pike, across from the Mountain House.

              I'm at the NA right now digging through Nagle's CMSR and the Commissions Branch files trying to pin down the date on which he was actually appointed BG.

              The commission was TO RANK Sept. 10, 1862, but it could have been issued anytime between then and Sept. 20 (the date on which he starts signing his reports "Brigadier General"). The 48th PA's monument says he received the commision on the 17th, but if there's one thing I've learned in my study of the Civil War, it's never to trust anything chisled into stone. :)

              The earliest mention of the appointment in the Congressional record is a letter from Lincoln submitting it to Congress on December 23, 1862 (but if that letter represents the actual appointment, then Nagle was either very psychic or very presumptuous). That date must be when Lincoln finally got around to submitting the appointment to Congress (it had been out of session from July 18 to Nov. 30, 1862).

              If anyone has a lead, I'm all ears (and much obliged)!

              --jake

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                Nagle's first BG USV commission expired without confirmation on 4/3/1863.
                He was not nominated until 12/23/1862: had he been confirmed, his date of
                rank would have been the same as his appointment date, 9/10/1862. He was
                nominated again on 3/10/1863, and confirmed 3/13/1863. Appointment date was
                3/23/1863 to date from 3/13/1863.

                So, his signing of reports as BG was at the very least premature.

                This is all in Eicher & Eicher.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                  Dear Tom,

                  Will you be taking videotapes of the new trail hikes?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                    Oops.that first commission expired 3/3/1863.

                    There are no cast iron markers at Fox's Gap. I don't recall seeing one for
                    Nagle's brigade at Turner's either, but would not stake my life on that
                    memory.

                    >>> "joseph_pierro" <joseph_pierro@ yahoo.com> 09/12/07 1:40 PM >>>

                    Does anyone happen to know if there's one of those Carman-era iron
                    markers at Fox's Gap that covers Nagle's brigade in particular?

                    If there is one, does anyone know how it lists his rank? I'm curious
                    to know if it says "Brigadier General" (as at Antietam) or "Colonel."

                    (I'd ask Steve Stotlmeyer, but I don't have his email. If anyone does
                    and would be willing to pass it along, I'd be much obliged!)

                    --jake

                    Got a little couch potato?
                    http://search.
                    <http://search.
                    <http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&
                    > yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&
                    cs=bz> yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

                  • Tom Shay
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007

                      I need to invest in a digital recorder.
                      The results using my old videotape recorder just aren't worth the effort.

                      Will you be taking videotapes of the new trail hikes?

                      > The AoTW site has photos of the IX Corps tablets posted online.
                      > I hope (but cannot be sure) that the list is all inclusive.
                      > URL is: http://aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=84
                      >
                      > You can also contact John Hoptak, who is an avid historian of
                      > General Nagle. He is a ranger at Antietam. We're both
                      > Schuylkill Countians, home of Nagle and the glorious 48th PA.
                      >
                      > Contact John via his blog at
                      > http://48thpennsylvania.blogspot.com/
                      >
                      > Any date when the new Carman book will be published?
                      >
                      > Tom Shay - (I willl arrive at Antietam on Saturday at dawn for
                      > the ranger tours and SHAF events),_._,___

                    • Joseph Pierro
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                        Harry,

                        Thanks for that. I've seen E & E, but I'm not sure they have the right information. It's clear from the Congressional record that 9/10 was the date he was to take rank. What's NOT clear is whether or not Lincoln APPOINTED him on 9/10 (the appointment date and the date at which an officer take rank are not necessarily the same; the latter often predates the former). To date I haven't been able to find any primary document verifying that fact.

                        If Lincoln DID appoint him in September 1862 (and it seems evident that he did), it wasn't premature for him to sign with the rank of a general officer. In the absence of a Congress, the appointment acts (and Richard Sommers at Carlise confirmed this for me) much like a recess appointment would today.

                        Sometime between Sept. 10 and Sept. 20, word got to Nagle that he had been appointed a general officer (and from a source of credible enough authority that Sturgis took to referring to him as "Colonel (now General)" by Sept. 22.

                        What I'm trying to find out (if the paper trail still exists) is WHERE and WHEN Nagle got that info in September 1862.

                        --jake

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                          Jake,

                          Yes, I'm aware that appointment dates and dates of rank are not necessarily the same. What I should have said was, according to Eicher & Eicher, the appointment date would have been the same as the date of rank. I'm assuming that the date of rank would have been included in the nomination sent to Congress.

                          Do you have any idea why the first nomination was not confirmed? I would imagine it probably had something to do with the fact that the nomination and backing recommendations had their genesis in McClellan's command.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
                            Harry:

                            As it happened, the issue doesn't appear to have been anything particular to Nagle. (If it had, I suspect they would have just voted him down.) They turned an entire sheaf of promotions, without voting on any of them, back to Lincoln on proceedural grounds.

                            The record reads as follows:

                            "The Senate proceeded to consider the following report:

                            "'The Committee on Military Affairs and the Militia, to whom were referred the nominations of the several major-generals and brigadier-generals and hospital chaplains appointed since the last session of Congress, find no law authorizing said appointments, and recommend that the nominations be returned to the President; and

                            "'Resolved, That the Senate agree to the said report.'" (Senate Exec. Journal, 37th Cong., 3d sess., February 12, 1863, 128)

                            The nomination that went to Congress does indeed bear a date of rank (Sept. 10, 1862), but the communication itself, as I mentioned before, is dated December.

                            The available evidence is clear that Nagle had learned of his appointment (and hence was entitled to call himself a brigadier general) before the campaign ended. It is most likely, but not 100% certain, that he found out prior to going into action on Sept. 17.

                            Where the issue gets a bit cloudy, and hence why it would be of interest to know the date on which something was transmitted from Washington with the news that he had been appointed by the preisdent, concerns South Mountain.

                            In the narrative portion of Carman's manuscript, he never mentions Nagle by rank. (It's always, "Nagle's brigade," and the like.) Only in his Table of Organization does he give a rank, listing him as "Colonel." On the War Dept. tablet on the battlefield, however, Nagle is listed as a brigadier general, suggesting that Carman altered his views regarding Nagle's status on the 17th.

                            It is possible, however, that Nagle should be properly be designated as a colonel at South Mountain. Even if Lincoln did issue the commission on the same day that Nagle was to take rank (Sept. 10), the only available evidence to come to light thus far (the report of his division commander, Samuel Sturgis) suggests that word of the promotion had not yet reached the army prior to the fighting at Fox's Gap.

                            This would correspond to the manner in which the editors of the OR saw the issue. On their compiled list of casualties at South Mountain, Nagle appears as a colonel (v. 19, pt. 1, p. 186), while on the similar list for Antietam (v. 19, pt. 1, p. 197) he's listed as a brigadier general.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
                              Thanks Steve! I knew of the full set of tablet images from Antietam battlefiled on the AOTW site, but didn't realize someone had captured the remaining ones from outside of the park boundary.

                              The Virtual Antietam website has a keyword searchable database of all
                              of the Maryland Campaign tablets including Turner's Pass, Crampton's
                              Gap, Shepherdstown Ford, Harper's Ferry, etc. It even includes the
                              markers that were there at one time but are now missing. Enjoy.

                              http://www.virtuala ntietam.com/

                              None at Fox's Gap, though.

                              Stephen Recker

                              On Wednesday, September 12, 2007, at 01:40 PM, joseph_pierro wrote:

                              > Does anyone happen to know if there's one of those Carman-era iron
                              > markers at Fox's Gap that covers Nagle's brigade in particular?

                            • Brian Downey
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
                                Hi Jake,

                                For the record, Stephen had all the monuments and tablets online on
                                Virtual Antietam long before I had any on AotW. Also, mine aren't
                                actually tablet images, though Stephen's are. Mine are text --
                                formatted to look like tablets -- so the content is Google-searchable
                                and I have tablets with text for those long lost from the actual
                                battlefield (based on Carman/Heth's notes from the Archives). AotW
                                versions are also linked to maps and military units mentioned for
                                cross reference.

                                You want to look at what's actually on the field? Go see Stephen.

                                Brian

                                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro <joseph_pierro@...>

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
                                  Hello Talk friends,

                                  I'll be at Sharpsburg and the Battlefield all day on Saturday. Alert
                                  the media :) Haven't set schedule, but will try to cram in as much as
                                  possible. I'll prob wear an AotW tee shirt - please give me an elbow
                                  poke if I don't see you first. If you put your email address on your
                                  forehead, I'll probably recognize that since I don't know many by face

                                  Brian

                                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                                  > I'll be arriving at Sharpsburg Saturday morning to work the SHAF
                                  table at
                                  > the festival for awhile. I'll probably stop at the VC first to pick
                                  up tour
                                  > schedule, and hope to go on at least one walk on Saturday and maybe
                                  two on
                                  > Sunday before I head back home. I'll be attending Ethan Rafuse's
                                  talk on
                                  > Saturday night. Hope to see fellow list members there.
                                  >
                                  > Harry

                                • Joseph Pierro
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
                                    Well, you BOTH have rather remarkable websites. I'm only sorry I hadn;t discovered Stephen's sooner.

                                    When people talk about "digital history" (the buzzword du jour these days in college history departments), your sites represent the best of what the Web can offer.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 13, 2007
                                      Brian,

                                      No, YOU da man.

                                      Actually I do appreciate the kind words. Another thought about the
                                      differences in the two databases. Virtual Antietam is a simple keyword
                                      search of the text of the markers and monuments. You gotta know what
                                      you are looking for, because if you keyword search for "Maryland" and
                                      the marker says, MD, you are out of luck. AotW, on the other hand, is
                                      an actual relational database that will parse out specific narrow
                                      searches.

                                      So if I am at a book show and I need to find out if the 16th Alaska
                                      Dogsled Team was at Antietam, I fire up AotW and it finds it for me. If
                                      I want to see what the area behind the marker looks like I use Virtual
                                      Antietam.

                                      I didn't find the data for the 'lost markers' at the archives. I got a
                                      folder from Jane Custer that has pictures of every marker on the field.
                                      She has photos of a few markers that are gone, an example being the one
                                      that used to be on the house near Middle Bridge.

                                      In some of my the postcards and battlefield photos I have seen missing
                                      markers and markers that have been moved. There is a great Burgan
                                      postcard that shows the three markers for Sedgwick's brigades placed
                                      just north of the 15th MA monument. They are now south of it down the
                                      hill. I also have a photos of an old marker that used to be in front of
                                      Old Simon. It looks like it is the congressional act creating the
                                      cemetery. There is no marker there now. And there used to be a marker
                                      just south west of the NJ monument.

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
                                        Dear Tom,

                                        Ok. Just wondering....something for the future!

                                        BTW, contact me privately about speaking at the Bucks County CWRT
                                        next year ...sometime?