Re: [TalkAntietam] Kershaw

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007

      Many thanks. The tour isn't until Saturday.

      Cheers,
      Stephen

      On Thursday, September 6, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

      > Steve,
      > I am at school and so cannot access sources right now, but my thought
      > on seeing the approach of the Confederates in the wood lot was that
      > the sparely wooded terrain did not greatly obstruct sight lines and
      > visibility. Thus they could see them through the woods on that hill.
      > if nobody has responded by this eveing I can do some more digging.
      > When is your tour?

    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007
        Stephen Recker wrote:

        > Where did Kershaw's men sleep the night morning of the 17th.
        Stephen
        > Grove's farm?

        According to Dickert (night of the 16th) "We bivouaced for the
        night on the roadside, ten miles from Antietam Creek."

        > The hill leading up to the 125th PA monument is open today. On
        Carman's
        > map it looks like a wood lot. How did the Union soldiers see Kemper
        > coming?

        Mac Wyckoff, in his history of the 3rd S.C. wrote, " The South
        Carolinians changed front, 'almost a right about,' so that they faced
        east. However, the 3rd South Carolina, for unexplained reasons,
        continued northward into the West Woods. Cattle grazed in these
        forests so there was not the dense underbrush that existed in
        Virginia's woodlands, making it hard to understand why this
        separation occurred." Dickert seems to confirm this when he
        wrote, "This was the first battle in a fair field in which the new
        commanders of the regiments had an opportunity to show heir mettle
        and ability, and well did they sustain themselves. Savage Station and
        Maryland Heights were so crowded with underbrush and vision so
        obscured that they were almost battles in the dark."

        Hope this helps,
        Teej

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007
          Teej,