Re: [TalkAntietam] Kershaw

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007
      Steve,
      I am at school and so cannot access sources right now, but my thought on seeing the approach of the Confederates in the wood lot was that the sparely wooded terrain did not greatly obstruct sight lines and visibility. Thus they could see them through the woods on that hill. if nobody has responded by this eveing I can do some more digging. When is your tour?

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 09/06/07 10:14 AM >>>

      Howdy. I am giving a tour of Kershaw's brigade. I'm looking for
      interesting spots to take these folks.

      Where did Kershaw's men sleep the night morning of the 17th. Stephen
      Grove's farm?

      The hill leading up to the 125th PA monument is open today. On Carman's
      map it looks like a wood lot. How did the Union soldiers see Kemper
      coming?

      I've got Kershaw's report and Dickert's book about Kemper's Brigade and
      of course Carman. Any other essentials? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007

        Many thanks. The tour isn't until Saturday.

        Cheers,
        Stephen

        On Thursday, September 6, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

        > Steve,
        > I am at school and so cannot access sources right now, but my thought
        > on seeing the approach of the Confederates in the wood lot was that
        > the sparely wooded terrain did not greatly obstruct sight lines and
        > visibility. Thus they could see them through the woods on that hill.
        > if nobody has responded by this eveing I can do some more digging.
        > When is your tour?

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007
          Stephen Recker wrote:

          > Where did Kershaw's men sleep the night morning of the 17th.
          Stephen
          > Grove's farm?

          According to Dickert (night of the 16th) "We bivouaced for the
          night on the roadside, ten miles from Antietam Creek."

          > The hill leading up to the 125th PA monument is open today. On
          Carman's
          > map it looks like a wood lot. How did the Union soldiers see Kemper
          > coming?

          Mac Wyckoff, in his history of the 3rd S.C. wrote, " The South
          Carolinians changed front, 'almost a right about,' so that they faced
          east. However, the 3rd South Carolina, for unexplained reasons,
          continued northward into the West Woods. Cattle grazed in these
          forests so there was not the dense underbrush that existed in
          Virginia's woodlands, making it hard to understand why this
          separation occurred." Dickert seems to confirm this when he
          wrote, "This was the first battle in a fair field in which the new
          commanders of the regiments had an opportunity to show heir mettle
          and ability, and well did they sustain themselves. Savage Station and
          Maryland Heights were so crowded with underbrush and vision so
          obscured that they were almost battles in the dark."

          Hope this helps,
          Teej

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007
            Teej,