Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Uncapped muskets?

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
      Dear Stephen,

      IIRC O'Rorke and his men did not have time for much anything
      else... basically switch right from column into battle line and
      charge!

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
        That, Gerry, is a universal feeling among infantrymen--hence the added precaution (form an officer's pov) of ordering the weapons to be carried unloaded. A solider is much more likely to disobey orders, halt his charge and cap a previously loaded weapon than he will to stop and run through the entire loading sequence.

        I remember when I was in Basic Training many years ago and my platoon was receiving a block of instruction on the use of the bayonet, at the end of which the drill sergeant told us that if our bayonet ever became stuck in the enemy's ribcage, it could be dislodged by firing a round from our weapons.

        To which I politely retorted that if my weapon still had a round in it, the bayonet would not be entering the ******* equation.

        I imagine 19th century soldiers were as practical-minded as I--orders to the contrary notwithstanding. :)

        --jake