Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Uncapped muskets?

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
      The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry O'Rourke
      sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of texans.
      He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
        Patrick O'Rorke's 146 NY, with a contingent of 5th NY Vols. 3-year men recently added.

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
          Dear Joseph,

          This "ringing" or "pinging" of the gun barrel is even heard today
          among CW reenactors during safety inspections, thereby insuring a
          cleaned/unfouled barrel.

          I would personally prefer to advance to battle loaded but not
          capped, if I knew I was going to be using the bayonet.

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
            Dear Stephen,

            IIRC O'Rorke and his men did not have time for much anything
            else... basically switch right from column into battle line and
            charge!

            > The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry
            > O'Rourke
            > sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of
            > texans.
            > He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.
            >
            > Stephen
            >
            > On Saturday, September 1, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Scott Hann wrote:
            >
            >> There's a story about a 1st Corps regiment or brigade going
            >> into
            >> action at Gettysburg on the First Day with unloaded weapons.
            >> The
            >> men in the ranks reminded the officers to give the order to
            >> load
            >> their muskets.

          • Joseph Pierro
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
              That, Gerry, is a universal feeling among infantrymen--hence the added precaution (form an officer's pov) of ordering the weapons to be carried unloaded. A solider is much more likely to disobey orders, halt his charge and cap a previously loaded weapon than he will to stop and run through the entire loading sequence.

              I remember when I was in Basic Training many years ago and my platoon was receiving a block of instruction on the use of the bayonet, at the end of which the drill sergeant told us that if our bayonet ever became stuck in the enemy's ribcage, it could be dislodged by firing a round from our weapons.

              To which I politely retorted that if my weapon still had a round in it, the bayonet would not be entering the ******* equation.

              I imagine 19th century soldiers were as practical-minded as I--orders to the contrary notwithstanding. :)

              --jake