Action at Shepherstown

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2001
      Last weekend, I was in the area looking at the location of the action that took place on the 19th and 20th at Shepherdstown.
      In Dr. Harsh's book he describes Hill's troops forming up at the intersection of Trough Rd and the Charlestown Pike, with the main action occurring on the west side of Trough Rd.  I drove out Charlestown Pike (I forget what the modern road number is now) to the intersection with Trough Rd.  It seemed to me that this intersection was quite far from Shepherdstown.  Now to my question,  what combat is Dr. Harsh describing that occurred near this intersection?

      David Lutton
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2001
        David;

        IIRC, the Union crossing of the Potomac by the Sixth US Army
        Corps resulted in what was known on the Federal side as the
        Battle of Boteler's Ford. The Confederates would have named it
        after the nearest town, being Shepherdstown.

        I do not know if this helps, but perhaps some others in the group
        might be able to assist.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",