Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: G.A.R. Reno Post #4 Hagerstown

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007

      When I was down there I saw you were on the board, so I filled out my
      form. Thanks for the nudge!

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
        Sounds like a road trip. I've still got to get up to Gettysburg College
        and see those George Batchelder covers.

        Stephen

        On Friday, August 24, 2007, at 04:36 PM, Scott Hann wrote:

        > Again I owe you big time. According the the website at the USMHI there
        > is an envelope containing information about this Post, whereas they
        > have
        > box(es) of information about other Posts. The next time I get over to
        > Carlisle I'll have to photocopy the information.

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
          I didn't know Gettysburg College had the George Batchelder covers.
          One of these days I have to take a trip to the college library to
          see the letters of Adj. Henry P. Clare of the 83rd NY. His
          eyewitness account of Pickett's Charge has been published, but I'm
          more anxious to see what he wrote about Antietam. I have a CDV of
          him, which is part of the reason why I'm interested.

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
            Da'ohhh. I meant to say Hayward covers.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
              I contacted the Masonic Temple here in Hagerstown to see if they have
              any photos of the Masonic Lodge Hall where Reno Post #4 met. No such
              luck. Here is the reply:

              //////////////////////////////////////////////
              In 1822 Mt. Moriah Lodge (Chartered in 1802) joined with the City to
              build a
              combined Market House and Masonic Temple - the site of the present City
              Hall
              at Franklin and Potomac. Mt. Moriah Lodge ceased to exist in 1831.

              Friendship Lodge was Chartered on May 22, 1827 and met at homes in
              Hagerstown and Williamsport until they found a more permanent site in
              1858.
              From July 1858 to April 1, 1888 Friendship Lodge met in the "new
              building"
              at the southeast corner of Public Square. Friendship Lodge then built
              our
              current Temple in 1898 and dedicated it on March 8, 1899, where we have
              been
              ever since.

              We have no pictures of anything prior to the dedication of the current
              Masonic Temple on March 8, 1899.

              If you find anything like that I would be very interested in getting a
              copy.

              Terry Smith, Secretary
              Friendship Lodge No. 84

              ///////////////////////////////////////////////

              This does tell us that the hall was not available for lease until, at
              the earliest, March 1899.

              Stephen
            • Ronald Church
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                I have heard it on several occasions that as French's lead brigade
                (Weber's) approached the Sunken Road they did so with uncapped muskets.
                Is this true?

                Ron Church
                Manchester Md
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                  Ron,

                  I have read that in several sources also. I think that, if you
                  are dealing with a new unit, it might be best to have them load
                  but not cap... As a reenactor who once did infantry, there were
                  occasions were my unit was told to load but not cap....

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007

                    The reasoning for not capping in this instance is understandable
                    1. These were green troops who, at first hostile file, might pull
                    trigger and break for the rear .... or the nearest cover, and
                    2. Since their destination was on the left of Tyndale up near the
                    VC they still had some ground to cover (or so they thought) before
                    running into Confederates.

                    So it makes sense that they might not have capped their weapons as they
                    approached the Sunken Road, but I've not been able find confirmation of it.

                    Ron Church

                    G E Mayers wrote:
                    > Ron,
                    >
                    > I have read that in several sources also. I think that, if you
                    > are dealing with a new unit, it might be best to have them load
                    > but not cap... As a reenactor who once did infantry, there were
                    > occasions were my unit was told to load but not cap....

                  • joseph_pierro
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Church <rchurch@...> wrote:

                      > I have heard it on several occasions that as French's lead brigade
                      > (Weber's) approached the Sunken Road they did so with uncapped
                      muskets.
                      > Is this true?
                      >
                      > Ron Church
                      > Manchester Md

                      Carman gives a rather detailed account of the fight made by Weber's
                      brigade (I can send you the particular passage if you wish), but he
                      doesn't mention their muskets being uncapped.

                      It was a well drilled brigade, but new to combat. As others have
                      remarked, it would not be unique in a unit like that for weapons to
                      have been kept uncapped in the advance in order to maintain fire
                      discipline.

                      --jake
                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                        At Fredericksburg, Gen Humphries ordered his men to make the infamaous assault up Marye's Heights with unloaded weapons. Noy only uncapped, but unloaded. This on the advice of Gen. Hooker. The logic was that no one should stop to fire. He even had an inspection to make certain no one had a loaded weapon. His men climbed those heights basically armed with spears.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                          There's a story about a 1st Corps regiment or brigade going into
                          action at Gettysburg on the First Day with unloaded weapons. The
                          men in the ranks reminded the officers to give the order to load
                          their muskets.

                          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

                          > At Fredericksburg, Gen Humphries ordered his men to make the
                          infamaous assault up Marye's Heights with unloaded weapons. Noy
                          only uncapped, but unloaded. This on the advice of Gen. Hooker.
                          The logic was that no one should stop to fire. He even had an
                          inspection to make certain no one had a loaded weapon. His men
                          climbed those heights basically armed with spears.

                        • Joseph Pierro
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                            Again, that's not unheard of on either side. If the intention is a bayonet charge, and your concern is getting your attacking force to cover the distance in the shortest time possible, the only way to guarantee that they'll cross the space is to send them in with an unloaded weapon. (Even the most disciplined soldier, when charging under fire, will stop to return it--if he has a loaded weapon. It's human nature.)

                            I've come across one Confederate account from the Seven Days fighting that describes his regiment being forced to "ring our muskets"--dropping the rammer down the barrel of the weapon in the presence of an officer or NCO so that he could hear the "ring" of it striking the empty bottom (as opposed to the dull thud of it striking a ball and wadding).

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                              The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry O'Rourke
                              sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of texans.
                              He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                Patrick O'Rorke's 146 NY, with a contingent of 5th NY Vols. 3-year men recently added.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                  Dear Joseph,

                                  This "ringing" or "pinging" of the gun barrel is even heard today
                                  among CW reenactors during safety inspections, thereby insuring a
                                  cleaned/unfouled barrel.

                                  I would personally prefer to advance to battle loaded but not
                                  capped, if I knew I was going to be using the bayonet.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                    Dear Stephen,

                                    IIRC O'Rorke and his men did not have time for much anything
                                    else... basically switch right from column into battle line and
                                    charge!

                                    > The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry
                                    > O'Rourke
                                    > sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of
                                    > texans.
                                    > He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.
                                    >
                                    > Stephen
                                    >
                                    > On Saturday, September 1, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Scott Hann wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> There's a story about a 1st Corps regiment or brigade going
                                    >> into
                                    >> action at Gettysburg on the First Day with unloaded weapons.
                                    >> The
                                    >> men in the ranks reminded the officers to give the order to
                                    >> load
                                    >> their muskets.

                                  • Joseph Pierro
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                      That, Gerry, is a universal feeling among infantrymen--hence the added precaution (form an officer's pov) of ordering the weapons to be carried unloaded. A solider is much more likely to disobey orders, halt his charge and cap a previously loaded weapon than he will to stop and run through the entire loading sequence.

                                      I remember when I was in Basic Training many years ago and my platoon was receiving a block of instruction on the use of the bayonet, at the end of which the drill sergeant told us that if our bayonet ever became stuck in the enemy's ribcage, it could be dislodged by firing a round from our weapons.

                                      To which I politely retorted that if my weapon still had a round in it, the bayonet would not be entering the ******* equation.

                                      I imagine 19th century soldiers were as practical-minded as I--orders to the contrary notwithstanding. :)

                                      --jake