Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: G.A.R. Reno Post #4 Hagerstown

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 23, 2007
      Kind of you to say, sir.

      -sjr

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
        Scott,

        Well, no pictures of the relics in the hall, but a few more clues.

        I went to the City Planning office at Hagerstown City Hall on the site
        of the old Town Market where G.A.R. Reno Post #4 used to meet. I ran
        into Stephen Bockmiller, esteemed member of this board, and he told me
        that they don't have any pictures of the old hall. He even checked
        around for boxes of old stuff, but to no avail.

        Stephen then directed me to the City Clerk. Here I found something
        interesting. Besides the fact that famed Antietam photographer B.W.T.
        Phreaner refused to pave his sidewalk in 1904, even to the point of the
        case being referred to the Police, there is a city council record from
        March 2, 1905 saying that it needs to be discerned whether the G.A.R.
        boys are going to renew their lease that expires in April 1905. Now,
        the lease I have states that the lease of the space started in 1905. I
        looked back a few years and couldn't find anything, so it is unclear
        when they first occupied the space.

        Just outside the clerk's office, though, are a bunch of old portraits
        of city officials taken around 1910. My guess is that they were taken
        in the old city hall, perhaps even in the Masonic Lodge Room. BTW, that
        is the name of the room they rented - the Masonic Lodge Room. There are
        some cool curtains, but no relic cases.

        Then I went to the Washington County Historical Society. The have some
        great photos of the outside of the old hall. It was built in 1822. The
        top was changed in 1888. Then it was torn down in 1939. The pictures
        are great. I'll send them on.

        Stephen
      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
          Steve,

          Again I owe you big time. According the the website at the USMHI there
          is an envelope containing information about this Post, whereas they have
          box(es) of information about other Posts. The next time I get over to
          Carlisle I'll have to photocopy the information.

          Scott

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007

              When I was down there I saw you were on the board, so I filled out my
              form. Thanks for the nudge!

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                Sounds like a road trip. I've still got to get up to Gettysburg College
                and see those George Batchelder covers.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                  I didn't know Gettysburg College had the George Batchelder covers.
                  One of these days I have to take a trip to the college library to
                  see the letters of Adj. Henry P. Clare of the 83rd NY. His
                  eyewitness account of Pickett's Charge has been published, but I'm
                  more anxious to see what he wrote about Antietam. I have a CDV of
                  him, which is part of the reason why I'm interested.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                    Da'ohhh. I meant to say Hayward covers.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                      I contacted the Masonic Temple here in Hagerstown to see if they have
                      any photos of the Masonic Lodge Hall where Reno Post #4 met. No such
                      luck. Here is the reply:

                      //////////////////////////////////////////////
                      In 1822 Mt. Moriah Lodge (Chartered in 1802) joined with the City to
                      build a
                      combined Market House and Masonic Temple - the site of the present City
                      Hall
                      at Franklin and Potomac. Mt. Moriah Lodge ceased to exist in 1831.

                      Friendship Lodge was Chartered on May 22, 1827 and met at homes in
                      Hagerstown and Williamsport until they found a more permanent site in
                      1858.
                      From July 1858 to April 1, 1888 Friendship Lodge met in the "new
                      building"
                      at the southeast corner of Public Square. Friendship Lodge then built
                      our
                      current Temple in 1898 and dedicated it on March 8, 1899, where we have
                      been
                      ever since.

                      We have no pictures of anything prior to the dedication of the current
                      Masonic Temple on March 8, 1899.

                      If you find anything like that I would be very interested in getting a
                      copy.

                      Terry Smith, Secretary
                      Friendship Lodge No. 84

                      ///////////////////////////////////////////////

                      This does tell us that the hall was not available for lease until, at
                      the earliest, March 1899.

                      Stephen
                    • Ronald Church
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                        I have heard it on several occasions that as French's lead brigade
                        (Weber's) approached the Sunken Road they did so with uncapped muskets.
                        Is this true?

                        Ron Church
                        Manchester Md
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                          Ron,

                          I have read that in several sources also. I think that, if you
                          are dealing with a new unit, it might be best to have them load
                          but not cap... As a reenactor who once did infantry, there were
                          occasions were my unit was told to load but not cap....

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007

                            The reasoning for not capping in this instance is understandable
                            1. These were green troops who, at first hostile file, might pull
                            trigger and break for the rear .... or the nearest cover, and
                            2. Since their destination was on the left of Tyndale up near the
                            VC they still had some ground to cover (or so they thought) before
                            running into Confederates.

                            So it makes sense that they might not have capped their weapons as they
                            approached the Sunken Road, but I've not been able find confirmation of it.

                            Ron Church

                            G E Mayers wrote:
                            > Ron,
                            >
                            > I have read that in several sources also. I think that, if you
                            > are dealing with a new unit, it might be best to have them load
                            > but not cap... As a reenactor who once did infantry, there were
                            > occasions were my unit was told to load but not cap....

                          • joseph_pierro
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Church <rchurch@...> wrote:

                              > I have heard it on several occasions that as French's lead brigade
                              > (Weber's) approached the Sunken Road they did so with uncapped
                              muskets.
                              > Is this true?
                              >
                              > Ron Church
                              > Manchester Md

                              Carman gives a rather detailed account of the fight made by Weber's
                              brigade (I can send you the particular passage if you wish), but he
                              doesn't mention their muskets being uncapped.

                              It was a well drilled brigade, but new to combat. As others have
                              remarked, it would not be unique in a unit like that for weapons to
                              have been kept uncapped in the advance in order to maintain fire
                              discipline.

                              --jake
                            • richard@rcroker.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                At Fredericksburg, Gen Humphries ordered his men to make the infamaous assault up Marye's Heights with unloaded weapons. Noy only uncapped, but unloaded. This on the advice of Gen. Hooker. The logic was that no one should stop to fire. He even had an inspection to make certain no one had a loaded weapon. His men climbed those heights basically armed with spears.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                  There's a story about a 1st Corps regiment or brigade going into
                                  action at Gettysburg on the First Day with unloaded weapons. The
                                  men in the ranks reminded the officers to give the order to load
                                  their muskets.

                                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

                                  > At Fredericksburg, Gen Humphries ordered his men to make the
                                  infamaous assault up Marye's Heights with unloaded weapons. Noy
                                  only uncapped, but unloaded. This on the advice of Gen. Hooker.
                                  The logic was that no one should stop to fire. He even had an
                                  inspection to make certain no one had a loaded weapon. His men
                                  climbed those heights basically armed with spears.

                                • Joseph Pierro
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                    Again, that's not unheard of on either side. If the intention is a bayonet charge, and your concern is getting your attacking force to cover the distance in the shortest time possible, the only way to guarantee that they'll cross the space is to send them in with an unloaded weapon. (Even the most disciplined soldier, when charging under fire, will stop to return it--if he has a loaded weapon. It's human nature.)

                                    I've come across one Confederate account from the Seven Days fighting that describes his regiment being forced to "ring our muskets"--dropping the rammer down the barrel of the weapon in the presence of an officer or NCO so that he could hear the "ring" of it striking the empty bottom (as opposed to the dull thud of it striking a ball and wadding).

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                      The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry O'Rourke
                                      sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of texans.
                                      He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                        Patrick O'Rorke's 146 NY, with a contingent of 5th NY Vols. 3-year men recently added.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                          Dear Joseph,

                                          This "ringing" or "pinging" of the gun barrel is even heard today
                                          among CW reenactors during safety inspections, thereby insuring a
                                          cleaned/unfouled barrel.

                                          I would personally prefer to advance to battle loaded but not
                                          capped, if I knew I was going to be using the bayonet.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                            Dear Stephen,

                                            IIRC O'Rorke and his men did not have time for much anything
                                            else... basically switch right from column into battle line and
                                            charge!

                                            > The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry
                                            > O'Rourke
                                            > sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of
                                            > texans.
                                            > He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.
                                            >
                                            > Stephen
                                            >
                                            > On Saturday, September 1, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Scott Hann wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> There's a story about a 1st Corps regiment or brigade going
                                            >> into
                                            >> action at Gettysburg on the First Day with unloaded weapons.
                                            >> The
                                            >> men in the ranks reminded the officers to give the order to
                                            >> load
                                            >> their muskets.

                                          • Joseph Pierro
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                              That, Gerry, is a universal feeling among infantrymen--hence the added precaution (form an officer's pov) of ordering the weapons to be carried unloaded. A solider is much more likely to disobey orders, halt his charge and cap a previously loaded weapon than he will to stop and run through the entire loading sequence.

                                              I remember when I was in Basic Training many years ago and my platoon was receiving a block of instruction on the use of the bayonet, at the end of which the drill sergeant told us that if our bayonet ever became stuck in the enemy's ribcage, it could be dislodged by firing a round from our weapons.

                                              To which I politely retorted that if my weapon still had a round in it, the bayonet would not be entering the ******* equation.

                                              I imagine 19th century soldiers were as practical-minded as I--orders to the contrary notwithstanding. :)

                                              --jake