Re: G.A.R. Reno Post #4 Hagerstown

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 23, 2007
      Steve, who's better than you? Nobody! Thanks for the great info.

      > Scott,
      >
      > Reno Post #4 signed a lease with the mayor of Hagerstown on April
      1,
      > 1905 for "all that room or hall, known as the Old Town Hall,
      formerly
      > occupied by the Masonic Lodge, situate in the building on the
      > south-east corner of North Potomac Street and East Franklin
      Street,
      > Hagerstown". The building was replaced by the current City Hall,
      built
      > in 1939.
      >
      > That said, I have a muster list of the Post from 1899.
      Unfortunately it
      > simply lists the address as "Hagerstown". The post commander was
      S.D.
      > Martin. That might be a clue to something.
      >
      > I also have a Quartermaster report from 1910. It lists the
      commander as
      > E C. Mobley.The roster from 1899 lists an Ed. M. Mobley. His
      address is
      > listed as 3 1/2 West Franklin, coincidentally that is the old
      address
      > of famed Antietam battlefield photographer E.M. Recher. The Rose
      Hill
      > Cemetery in Hagerstown has two very old gravestones that read, in
      part,
      > "Sons of E.M. Mobley and E.C. Mobley". Perhaps another rabbit hole?
      >
      > Nonetheless, the 1910 quartermaster report says that the post only
      has
      > $400 "Cash invested in Furniture, Flags, etc."
      >
      > I got hold of the name of the woman who holds all of the
      historical
      > material for that building. I'll drop by her office tomorrow and
      see
      > what she knows. Maybe she'll have big boxes of stuff hidden away.
      We
      > can only hope.
      >
      > I'll send a copy of these materials to you via regular mail. No
      > information about or photos of the relics, but perhaps a clue to
      > something?
      >
      > Stephen
      >

      > On Thursday, August 23, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Scott Hann wrote:
      >
      > > OK Brian, I'm game. I have my own "ghost stories" that I've
      > > personally experienced on the Antietam battlefield, but I'll
      leave
      > > them for another time.
      > >
      > > I'm seeking information about G.A.R. Reno Post #4 in Hagerstown,
      MD.

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 23, 2007
        Kind of you to say, sir.

        -sjr

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
          Scott,

          Well, no pictures of the relics in the hall, but a few more clues.

          I went to the City Planning office at Hagerstown City Hall on the site
          of the old Town Market where G.A.R. Reno Post #4 used to meet. I ran
          into Stephen Bockmiller, esteemed member of this board, and he told me
          that they don't have any pictures of the old hall. He even checked
          around for boxes of old stuff, but to no avail.

          Stephen then directed me to the City Clerk. Here I found something
          interesting. Besides the fact that famed Antietam photographer B.W.T.
          Phreaner refused to pave his sidewalk in 1904, even to the point of the
          case being referred to the Police, there is a city council record from
          March 2, 1905 saying that it needs to be discerned whether the G.A.R.
          boys are going to renew their lease that expires in April 1905. Now,
          the lease I have states that the lease of the space started in 1905. I
          looked back a few years and couldn't find anything, so it is unclear
          when they first occupied the space.

          Just outside the clerk's office, though, are a bunch of old portraits
          of city officials taken around 1910. My guess is that they were taken
          in the old city hall, perhaps even in the Masonic Lodge Room. BTW, that
          is the name of the room they rented - the Masonic Lodge Room. There are
          some cool curtains, but no relic cases.

          Then I went to the Washington County Historical Society. The have some
          great photos of the outside of the old hall. It was built in 1822. The
          top was changed in 1888. Then it was torn down in 1939. The pictures
          are great. I'll send them on.

          Stephen
        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
            Steve,

            Again I owe you big time. According the the website at the USMHI there
            is an envelope containing information about this Post, whereas they have
            box(es) of information about other Posts. The next time I get over to
            Carlisle I'll have to photocopy the information.

            Scott

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007

                When I was down there I saw you were on the board, so I filled out my
                form. Thanks for the nudge!

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                  Sounds like a road trip. I've still got to get up to Gettysburg College
                  and see those George Batchelder covers.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                    I didn't know Gettysburg College had the George Batchelder covers.
                    One of these days I have to take a trip to the college library to
                    see the letters of Adj. Henry P. Clare of the 83rd NY. His
                    eyewitness account of Pickett's Charge has been published, but I'm
                    more anxious to see what he wrote about Antietam. I have a CDV of
                    him, which is part of the reason why I'm interested.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                      Da'ohhh. I meant to say Hayward covers.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
                        I contacted the Masonic Temple here in Hagerstown to see if they have
                        any photos of the Masonic Lodge Hall where Reno Post #4 met. No such
                        luck. Here is the reply:

                        //////////////////////////////////////////////
                        In 1822 Mt. Moriah Lodge (Chartered in 1802) joined with the City to
                        build a
                        combined Market House and Masonic Temple - the site of the present City
                        Hall
                        at Franklin and Potomac. Mt. Moriah Lodge ceased to exist in 1831.

                        Friendship Lodge was Chartered on May 22, 1827 and met at homes in
                        Hagerstown and Williamsport until they found a more permanent site in
                        1858.
                        From July 1858 to April 1, 1888 Friendship Lodge met in the "new
                        building"
                        at the southeast corner of Public Square. Friendship Lodge then built
                        our
                        current Temple in 1898 and dedicated it on March 8, 1899, where we have
                        been
                        ever since.

                        We have no pictures of anything prior to the dedication of the current
                        Masonic Temple on March 8, 1899.

                        If you find anything like that I would be very interested in getting a
                        copy.

                        Terry Smith, Secretary
                        Friendship Lodge No. 84

                        ///////////////////////////////////////////////

                        This does tell us that the hall was not available for lease until, at
                        the earliest, March 1899.

                        Stephen
                      • Ronald Church
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                          I have heard it on several occasions that as French's lead brigade
                          (Weber's) approached the Sunken Road they did so with uncapped muskets.
                          Is this true?

                          Ron Church
                          Manchester Md
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                            Ron,

                            I have read that in several sources also. I think that, if you
                            are dealing with a new unit, it might be best to have them load
                            but not cap... As a reenactor who once did infantry, there were
                            occasions were my unit was told to load but not cap....

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007

                              The reasoning for not capping in this instance is understandable
                              1. These were green troops who, at first hostile file, might pull
                              trigger and break for the rear .... or the nearest cover, and
                              2. Since their destination was on the left of Tyndale up near the
                              VC they still had some ground to cover (or so they thought) before
                              running into Confederates.

                              So it makes sense that they might not have capped their weapons as they
                              approached the Sunken Road, but I've not been able find confirmation of it.

                              Ron Church

                              G E Mayers wrote:
                              > Ron,
                              >
                              > I have read that in several sources also. I think that, if you
                              > are dealing with a new unit, it might be best to have them load
                              > but not cap... As a reenactor who once did infantry, there were
                              > occasions were my unit was told to load but not cap....

                            • joseph_pierro
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 31, 2007
                                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Church <rchurch@...> wrote:

                                > I have heard it on several occasions that as French's lead brigade
                                > (Weber's) approached the Sunken Road they did so with uncapped
                                muskets.
                                > Is this true?
                                >
                                > Ron Church
                                > Manchester Md

                                Carman gives a rather detailed account of the fight made by Weber's
                                brigade (I can send you the particular passage if you wish), but he
                                doesn't mention their muskets being uncapped.

                                It was a well drilled brigade, but new to combat. As others have
                                remarked, it would not be unique in a unit like that for weapons to
                                have been kept uncapped in the advance in order to maintain fire
                                discipline.

                                --jake
                              • richard@rcroker.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                  At Fredericksburg, Gen Humphries ordered his men to make the infamaous assault up Marye's Heights with unloaded weapons. Noy only uncapped, but unloaded. This on the advice of Gen. Hooker. The logic was that no one should stop to fire. He even had an inspection to make certain no one had a loaded weapon. His men climbed those heights basically armed with spears.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                    There's a story about a 1st Corps regiment or brigade going into
                                    action at Gettysburg on the First Day with unloaded weapons. The
                                    men in the ranks reminded the officers to give the order to load
                                    their muskets.

                                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

                                    > At Fredericksburg, Gen Humphries ordered his men to make the
                                    infamaous assault up Marye's Heights with unloaded weapons. Noy
                                    only uncapped, but unloaded. This on the advice of Gen. Hooker.
                                    The logic was that no one should stop to fire. He even had an
                                    inspection to make certain no one had a loaded weapon. His men
                                    climbed those heights basically armed with spears.

                                  • Joseph Pierro
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                      Again, that's not unheard of on either side. If the intention is a bayonet charge, and your concern is getting your attacking force to cover the distance in the shortest time possible, the only way to guarantee that they'll cross the space is to send them in with an unloaded weapon. (Even the most disciplined soldier, when charging under fire, will stop to return it--if he has a loaded weapon. It's human nature.)

                                      I've come across one Confederate account from the Seven Days fighting that describes his regiment being forced to "ring our muskets"--dropping the rammer down the barrel of the weapon in the presence of an officer or NCO so that he could hear the "ring" of it striking the empty bottom (as opposed to the dull thud of it striking a ball and wadding).

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                        The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry O'Rourke
                                        sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of texans.
                                        He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.

                                        Stephen

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
                                          Patrick O'Rorke's 146 NY, with a contingent of 5th NY Vols. 3-year men recently added.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                            Dear Joseph,

                                            This "ringing" or "pinging" of the gun barrel is even heard today
                                            among CW reenactors during safety inspections, thereby insuring a
                                            cleaned/unfouled barrel.

                                            I would personally prefer to advance to battle loaded but not
                                            capped, if I knew I was going to be using the bayonet.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                              Dear Stephen,

                                              IIRC O'Rorke and his men did not have time for much anything
                                              else... basically switch right from column into battle line and
                                              charge!

                                              > The first bayonet charge on Little Round Top was Patrick Henry
                                              > O'Rourke
                                              > sending, I believe, the 144th NY over the hill onto a bunch of
                                              > texans.
                                              > He did not take the time to load. It was 'fix bayonets'.
                                              >
                                              > Stephen
                                              >
                                              > On Saturday, September 1, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Scott Hann wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> There's a story about a 1st Corps regiment or brigade going
                                              >> into
                                              >> action at Gettysburg on the First Day with unloaded weapons.
                                              >> The
                                              >> men in the ranks reminded the officers to give the order to
                                              >> load
                                              >> their muskets.

                                            • Joseph Pierro
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
                                                That, Gerry, is a universal feeling among infantrymen--hence the added precaution (form an officer's pov) of ordering the weapons to be carried unloaded. A solider is much more likely to disobey orders, halt his charge and cap a previously loaded weapon than he will to stop and run through the entire loading sequence.

                                                I remember when I was in Basic Training many years ago and my platoon was receiving a block of instruction on the use of the bayonet, at the end of which the drill sergeant told us that if our bayonet ever became stuck in the enemy's ribcage, it could be dislodged by firing a round from our weapons.

                                                To which I politely retorted that if my weapon still had a round in it, the bayonet would not be entering the ******* equation.

                                                I imagine 19th century soldiers were as practical-minded as I--orders to the contrary notwithstanding. :)

                                                --jake