Re: NY Tribune on the Campaign (Was: Bill of Rights)

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2001
      Greetings Group,

      I've begun to transcribe the Trib. I find it'll take a while at my
      miserable typing speed, so I'll post parts as I complete them. The
      Tribune was printed on large sheets, I'd guess about the size of the
      modern Washington Post, for example, with fairly fine print in 6
      columns. Almost no pictures appear in the editions for which I have
      copies - just a few crude maps.

      Some of the grammar is interesting, and spelling errors do appear. I
      have not attempted to correct either in transcription. Any material
      not actually on the printed page is given in square brackets [ ].
      There is a small chance that I have introduced errors while typing,
      too. Caveat Emptor.

      BTW, in the future I plan to get copies of other newspapers for
      comparison ... I'll bet these events played a little differently in
      Richmond!

      I've begun with the Wednesday, September 17, 1862 edition. Keep in
      mind that in 1862 it could be days before news of an event trickled
      back to a reporter, or from a reported to the news room. In this
      case, that means the Sept 17 edition is only just getting details
      about the events of Sunday and Monday the 14th and 15th.

      Without further ado, Column 1 of the Front Page follows, remaining
      columns and later editions will come in separate posts as I complete
      them:

      *************************

      The New York Daily Tribune.
      Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
      NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
      PRICE TWO CENTS.

      [Front Page, First Column]

      THE WAR FOR THE UNION.
      -----<>-----
      THE INVASION OF MARYLAND.
      -----<>-----
      THE SURRENDER OF HARPER'S FERRY.
      -----<>-----
      5,000 Prisoners Made by the Rebels.
      -----<>-----
      COL. MILES MORTALLY WOUNDED.
      -----<>-----
      GALLANTRY OF ILLINOIS CAVALRYMEN.
      -----<>-----
      Good News from the Upper Potomac.
      -----<>-----
      A TREMENDOUS BATTLE YESTERDAY.
      -----<>-----
      The Whole Rebel Army Engaged.
      -----<>-----
      ANOTHER GREAT VICTORY.
      -----<>-----
      Reported Stampede of the Rebels
      Out of Maryland.
      -----<>-----
      Additional Details of the Battle of
      South Mountain.
      -----<>-----

      Special Dispatch to the N. Y. Tribune.
      WASHINGTON, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      The confirmation of the good news from the Upper Potomac to-night,
      for which the city as anxiously awaited all day, gives great
      satisfaction, which is only dashed by the intelligence that Col. Miles
      was forced to surrender Harper's Ferry.
      If the Rebels have, as the latest unofficial accounts state, been
      driven fairly across the Potomac, and obliged to evacuate even
      Harper's Ferry, they are in a condition in which a little energy,
      another week of pursuit, may deal them blows from which they can
      never recover. What we want at this moment is cavalry to pursue,
      attack, and destroy.
      Your leader to-day hits this nail on the head, but hits it too late.
      The Rebels have, as has often been shown in Stuart's Cavalry,
      excellent material both for raids upon our lines, when they choose to
      take the offensive, and for a rear guard to cover their retreating
      columns when it is necessary to act on the defensive. We shall
      probably suffer in this case as we have more than once heretofore
      from the want of this most efficient arm of the service. That green
      cavalry is better than none, if the men know how to ride, is shown by
      the excellent performance of the Twelfth Illinois in cutting its way
      out of Harper's Ferry, a regiment which has just entered service.
      It is hoped and believed that the victory which has been won will be
      improved.
      A Quartermaster of an Ohio regiment who arrived this evening left
      Jefferson, halfway between Frederick and Harper's Ferry, this
      forenoon. He says the report is current at Jefferson that the Rebels
      were crossing the Potomac with their whole force at Harper's Ferry
      and Sheppardstown, Longstreet fording at the latter place.
      The Secessionists at Jefferson believed and boastfully declared that
      the combined army was marching on Washington. So foolishly confident
      is "my Maryland."
      The following dispatch, giving an account of operations at Harper's
      Ferry, was received today from our correspondent stationed there:
      On Thursday night last our pickets were driven in at Sandy Hook, and
      skirmishing commenced at Solomon's Gap, about six miles from Harper's
      Ferry, on the range of which Maryland Heights forms the termination
      opposite this place. The design of the enemy was to obtain obsession
      of Maryland Heights as the key to the position. Reenforcements were
      sent to Col. Ford, commanding the forces on the Hights.
      On Friday there was brisk skirmishing and fighting all along the
      range. Light guns were sent up, and the Rebels, having cut a new
      road, also got light artillery up. The fighting resulted rather
      favorably to the Rebels. Further re-enforcements were sent up, and
      orders given to hold the place to the last.
      On Saturday, Capt. McGrath, commanding the battery on the Heights,
      succeeded in effectually shelling the Rebels back from their
      position.
      No little surprise was, therefore, manifested at seeing our troops
      evacuate the position by order of Col. Ford, the guns being spiked.
      So important was this position deemed that offers off volunteers were
      made to retake the position by the Colonel Commanding the First
      Brigade. This offer was refused by the Colonel Commanding.
      Gen. White, who had arrived from Martinsburg with his troops, waived
      the right to command in favor of Col. Miles.
      The Rebels having gained possession of the Heights commenced planting
      batteries on Loudon Heights, where their signals could plainly be
      seen. Capt. Graham, commanding batteries on Camp Hill just above
      the town, commenced shelling the signals and succeeded in driving them
      away. The enemy gave no further signs of life than the signals.
      Sunday opened with shelling from all the batteries upon Loudon
      Heights. About two o'clock the Rebels opened from Loudon Heights
      with four guns. They had a perfect range of the whole line of
      intrenchments on Bolivar Heights. Soon after a battery opened from
      Maryland heights on the very top, which also threw shells clear over
      our position on Bolivar Heights. The Rebels were seen coming up in
      force on the left, and soon a battery opened from near the Halltown
      road. This battery was occupied in shelling the woods.
      The Rebels were next seen approaching along front and extending
      toward the right. Our troops were thrown forward to receive them,
      when another battery opened in front, also commanding our position
      completely.
      Their success was now apparent, for from their position they could
      shell our troops both in front and rear.
      On Sunday night quite the fight took place on our left, where the
      Rebels tried to turn our flanks, but were handsomely repulsed by the
      32nd Ohio with considerable loss on both sides.
      Monday settled the fate of Harper's Ferry. During Sunday night the
      Rebels had planted other batteries on Loudon Heights, also in front,
      and on a knoll near the right, across the Potomac, completely
      enfilading the whole encampment, and making it a slaughter pen.
      Opening fire, they rained shells upon the position, and it was
      apparent it was no longer tenable, and a great sacrifice must occur
      if fighting continued. Our officers could not think of giving up, and
      firing continued until their long range ammunition was exhausted,
      when the white flag

      [continued in Column 2]
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2001
        The New York Daily Tribune.
        Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
        NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
        PRICE TWO CENTS.

        [Front Page, Second Column]

        [from Col 1: ... when the white flag] was reluctantly displayed.
        While flying, Col. Miles was mortally wounded by a shell, and others
        killed. The terms of capitulation were arranged by Gen. White and
        Gen. Hill. All our troops were paroled. Gens. Jackson, Hill, and
        Branch, commanded the Rebels.
        The first account of Col. Miles' surrender was telegraphed by the
        operator at Point of Rocks last night, upon the authority of
        stragglers who had come in, and was confirmed by the operator at
        Chambersburg with additional particulars. The 12th Illinois Cavalry,
        Col. Vose, which had reached Chambersburg yesterday in safety, had cut
        its way though the beleaguering force of the enemy, and succeeded in
        reaching and crossing the river to Williamsport. On the way to
        Chambersburg they captured Gen. Longstreet's ammunition train, 60
        wagons and 70 prisoners.
        The fact that Col. Miles sent this valuable part of his command, a
        regiment 1,500 strong, outside of his fortifications, at a time when
        comparatively no fighting had been done, leads to the belief that he
        expected to be obliged to surrender, as his message to Gen. McClellan
        intimated that he should do yesterday morning, unless sooner relieved.
        The infantry, including the command of Gen. Julius White, which
        joined Col. Miles from Martinsburg on Saturday, was all taken dead or
        alive. The number of prisoners is not much more than 5,000, most of
        them belonging to the new regiments. The cavalry, which succeeded in
        making its escape, suffered very little.
        Valuable guns also fell into the hands of the enemy - how many of
        which they carried away with them is unknown. They could not have
        removed the 9-inch Dahlgrens, with which, manned by seamen, Gen.
        Saxton kept Gen. Jackson at bay in his last raid up the river. Col.
        Miles is reported to have been mortally wounded.

        -------------

        To the Associated Press.
        WASHINGTON, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

        Harper's Ferry was surrendered to the Rebels at 10 o'clock yesterday,
        after Col. Miles had been severely, if not fatally, wounded. The
        officers and men, supposed to be about 8,000 strong, were paroled.

        BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

        The following is from a special to The American from Frederick:
        The combined forces of Loring and Jackson stormed the works at
        Harper's Ferry yesterday morning, and captured the position. Col.
        Miles is said to have made a desperate resistance. Accounts differ;
        some say he was wounded after he raised the white flag.
        Other accounts state that he was killed or mortally wounded before the
        surrender. All our forces were parolled, numbering 6,000, some of
        whom have arrived at Frederick. When the parolled men left, the enemy
        was preparing to blow up the three spans of the new bridge.
        Reports were circulated in Frederick to-day thatMcClellan had retaken
        Harper's Ferry, but they were not deemed reliable.

        FREDERICK, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

        I regret to have to announce the surrender of Harper's Ferry, with all
        the forces and stores there, to the enemy at 9 o'clock Monday morning.
        Enlisted men, and some officers, have been paroled and arrived here.
        From them I get the following particulars:
        The Rebels commenced the attack on Friday noon on our forces on
        Maryland Heights, skirmishing continued throughout the day and was
        renewed on Saturday.
        The enemy was driven back with considerable loss. They came up
        several times and were repulsed, when it was discovered they were
        approaching in overwhelming force.. Order was given to spike the
        guns, and throw them down the mountain. The whole force from the
        hights then returned in safety, the guns from Camp Hill shelling the
        enemy when they attempted to pursue our retreating men.
        On Sunday morning a party of our men again ascended the Hights and
        brought away their field piece, which they had left unspiked.
        On Sunday at noon the Rebels appeared in great force on Loudon
        Heights. Miles shelled them from point to point. Some of their guns
        were dislodged, but they still managed to keep up a brisk fire from
        some of their batteries, which were run back out of sight and loaded.
        The cannonading was kept up all day on Sunday, without doing much
        damage. The firing ceased at dusk on Sunday evening, and was resumed
        again on Monday morning at daylight, and kept up till 9 o'clock, when
        Miles ordered the white flag to be raised.
        There was considerable fog and smoke, and the enemy either did not see
        the flag or would not see it, and kept up a heavy fire for ten minutes
        after the flag was raised. A shell struck Col. Miles shattering his
        right leg. It was amputated before the prisoners were parolled.
        There were about 2,300 cavalry in the command, all of whom but about
        40 escaped about 8 o'clock Sunday night, and cut their way through to
        Greencastle, with but little loss. The balance of the troops,
        numbering from 6,000 to 8,000, with Gen. White's command from
        Martinsburg, were all surrendered.
        Gen. Howe captured an aid of Gen. Stuart on Monday afternoon, who was
        making his way from Harper's Ferry to Boonesboro' with a dispatch from
        Gen Jackson to Gen. Lee, announcing the capitulation of the place.
        The aid supposed that Lee was at Boonesboro', which was in our
        possession. This the first intimation of the surrender that our
        Generals received.
        At this time, Gen. Franklin was within three hours march of the Ferry,
        going to the relief of the beleaguered command, wither he had been
        sent by Gen. McClellan so soon as he received the dispatch from Col.
        Miles, on Monday evening, that he was in danger.

        BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

        Passengers from Monocacy report seeing paroled prisoners from Harper's
        Ferry, who report the surrender of Harper's Ferry on Monday morning,
        after a most determined defense and the death of Col. Miles, who was
        killed by a shell cutting off one of his legs. According to these
        reports, Col. Miles evacuated Maryland Hights on Saturday evening,
        after exploding one of his heavy guns and throwing others down the
        rocks.
        The officers were allowed to go out with their side-arms and horses,
        and the men with their personal effects, which indicated that the
        surrender was conditional.
        The railroad bridge and Potomac bridge were still standing, and the
        Rebels were reported to be evacuating the Maryland Hights.

        -----<>-----

        Further Regarding Sunday's Battle - Intel-
        ligence from Harper's Ferry.

        From Our Own Correspondent.
        BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

        I have gained some further particulars this morning of the battle of
        Middletown Hights, fought on

        [continued in Column 3]
      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2001
          The New York Daily Tribune.
          Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
          NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
          PRICE TWO CENTS.

          [Front Page, Third Column]

          [from Col 2: ... the battle of Middletown Hights, fought on] Sunday.
          McClellan's army was marching out of Frederick by four o'clock on
          Sunday morning. The men had been called at three, and received a
          breakfast of coffee and two pieces of bread each, which was all they
          had to eat till ten o'clock at night. They were too eager to meet the
          foe, however, to feel the pangs of hunger - after they had met him
          they were too busy driving him up and over the mountain to care to
          eat.
          Early in the forenoon, the rear guard of the enemy was discovered, and
          an artillery duel continued to about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, when
          the main body of the Rebels made a stand in a position of great
          strength on Middletown Hights, at a point commanding the Hagerstown
          road, and completely disputing our further progress after their
          retreating columns. Hitherto, artillery had ruled the day. The enemy
          was in a vastly superior position to shell our advance. Our troops
          had been so well handled that the losses were exceedingly light. At 3
          o'clock musketry began to play an important part in the engagement,
          our infantry advancing to within eight or nine rods of the enemy's
          lines before they opened fire.
          For two hours the fighting is said to have been the most savage yet
          known in the course of the war. All the time, however, the enemy were
          being slowly crowded back up the hill and into the gap. At 5 o'clock
          a general order to charge was given, and then occurred the fearful
          rush I spoke of in my last night's letter, the enemy running like
          sheep, piling the ground down the other side of the mountain with
          their dead. It was stern and cruel work with the blood-dripping
          bayonet, and the shrieking grape and canister found ready victims in
          the flying mass who hurried away from the death that followed after.
          It was a complete rout, no doubt of it.
          We are apt to hear of Gen. Hooker where there is fighting. He lead
          our right in the recent battle, Burnside the center, and Franklin the
          left. These several generals pushed on their men rapidly, following
          up every advantage, and allowing the enemy no opportunity to collect
          himself where he was shaken. This constant pressure turned what was
          for hours an orderly retreat into a disgraceful rout before sundown.
          In this battle, for perhaps the first time recently, the enemy were
          outgeneraled.
          A messenger got through from Harper's Ferry on Sunday, with the
          intelligence that Col. Miles had been driven from the Maryland
          Heights, after destroying his guns, and was closely besieged by
          Stonewall Jackson. He had, however, been joined by Gen. White, and
          had been able up to the hour the messenger left to prevent the Rebels
          from placing any guns in position on the Maryland shore. Perhaps the
          army that moved up the Virginia side last Thursday may arrive in time
          to relieve Col. Miles, and to assist in preventing the Rebels from
          crossing at Williamsport.
          The remains of Gen. Reno lie at the establishment of Mr. John H.
          Weaver on Fayette Street, where they will undergo the process of
          embalming, which will occupy several days. They have been visited by
          many citizens, anxious to gaze at the hero of so many fights. He fell
          bravely, and his death was by no means in vain.

          -----<>-----

          ANOTHER GREAT BATTLE IN PROGRESS

          -----<>-----

          PHILADELPHIA, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

          A special dispatch to The Bulletin from Harrisburg says:
          "Telegraphic and railroad communications to Hagerstown was reopened
          last night, showing that place has been totally abandoned by the
          Rebels and re-occupied by our troops.
          "It is rumored at Hagerstown that another battle is going on this
          morning between Sharpsburg and Middleburg, but no particulars have
          been receivied.
          "Sharpsburg in near the Potomac, about 10 miles west of Middletown.
          "It is not unlikely that Gen. McClellan is engaging the Rebels in that
          neighborhood to-day, and disputing their passage of the river.
          "A hundred and eight prisoners, captured along with Gen. Longstreet's
          baggage-train by the cavalry that cut their way through from Harper's
          Ferry, arrived here this morning, and fifty more have reached
          Chambersburg.

          HARRISBURG, Monday, Sept. 15, 1862. - 6 p.m.

          Dispatches received from Hagerstown say Gen. McClellan came up with
          the rear of the Rebel army at Sharpsburg, and that a battle is now in
          progress.

          HARRISBURG, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

          A dispatch just received at headquarters says Jackson has recrossed
          the Potomac, and Gen. McClellan has engaged him with tremendous force
          this side of Sharpsburg, and ten miles from that place.
          The whole Rebel army in Maryland will be annihilated or captured this
          night. No Rebels can be found about Hagerstown and Williamsport, and
          none two miles on the other side of the Potomac.

          -----<>-----

          The Battle of South Mountain

          BOONESBOROUGH,Md., Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

          The battle of South Mountain was fought yesterday, resulting in
          complete victory to the Army of the Potomac. The battle-field was
          located in a gorge of the mountain, on the turnpike road, between
          Middletown and Boonseborough. During the forenoon the firing was by
          artillery, endeavoring to ascertain the Rebel strength and position.
          About 12 o'clock the corps under Gen. Reno was ordered to ascend the
          mountain on the left, and make an attack upon the enemy's flank.
          At 3 o'clock, Gen. Reno's troops got into action. The rattle of
          musketry for about half an hour was terrible, when the enemy gave way,
          leaving our men in possession of the ridge. The loss on both sides in
          this action was considerable. We had not a General or field officer
          injured at this point, excepting Major-Gen. Reno, who was killed, a
          Minie ball passing through his body.
          Gen. Hooker, commanding McDowell's corps and the Pennsylvania
          Reserves, ascended the mountain on the right, for the purpose of
          making an attack on the Rebels' left. He got his troops into
          position, and moved on the enemy about two hours before sundown.
          Here, as in the case on the other side of the mountain, our troops
          were successful, driving the enemy before them with great slaughter.
          The Rebels suffered her more than at any point of the battle-field.
          Gen. Hatch, commanding a division under Gen. Hooker, was wounded in
          the leg.
          Gen. Gibbon's brigade, composed of the 2nd, 6th, and 7th Wisconsin,
          and the 19thh Indiana Regiments, were ordered to move up the gorge of
          the mountain. This brigade did not get into action till after dark,
          but fought till nearly 9 o'clock. This brigade lost about 120 men
          killed and wounded. Among the dead is Capt. Cauldwell of the 2nd
          Wisconsin. The Rebels were driven back for about a mile, when
          Gibbon's brigade was relieved by a portion of Sumner's corps, wahoo
          held the position during the night.
          The Rebel troops engaged were Longstreet's, D.

          [continued in Column 4]
        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2001
            The New York Daily Tribune.
            Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
            NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
            PRICE TWO CENTS.

            [Front Page, Fourth Column]

            [from Col 3: ... The Rebel troops engaged were Longstreet's, D.] H.
            Hill's and A. P. Hill's corps. Had our troops had two hours longer of
            daylight the greater portion of the Rebel army would have been taken
            prisoner, as they were surrounded on three sides, the only mode of
            escaping being a narrow defile in the mountain, which the artillery
            would soon have made impassable.
            Among the Rebel officers known to be killed were Gen. Garland of
            Leesburg, and Col. Strong of the 19th Virginia. The latter's body was
            obtained to-day by flag of truce.
            At daylight this morning our worst fears were realized. The Rebels,
            under cover of night, had left on their way to the Potomac.
            They went to this place, two miles from the mountains, and there took
            the road toward Sharpsburg. They left all their dead on the field,
            and those of the wounded not able to walk were found in the churches
            of Boonesboro'.
            Gen. McClellan was on the field during the whole day and night,
            conducting all movements in person.
            Between 1,200 and 1,500 prisoners were taken during the day, most of
            them by troops under Gen. Hooker. Yesterday, Gen. Franklin's corps
            advanced to a mountain pass six miles nearer Harper's Ferry, where he
            engaged the enemy, holding the pass for about three hours, resulting
            in a complete rout of the enemy and heavy loss. Our loss in the action
            was about 250 killed and wounded. The Rebel loss during the day and
            night was fully 15,000, killed, wounded, and missing. Gen. Lee
            acknowledged to the citizens of Boonesboro' that they had been
            defeated with terrible loss. Our loss in killed and wounded will
            probably reach 3,000. We lost but few prisoners.

            LATER - MORE FIGHTING ON MONDAY.

            BOONESBORO',Md., Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

            This morning at daylight Gen. Pleasonton, with the 8th Illinois
            Cavalry and Capt. Fitchall's Battery, started after the enemy. At
            Boonesboro' he came up with the 9th Virginia Cavalry, with a battery
            acting as rear guard.
            The Illinois Cavalry charged after them through the town and two
            miles out on the Hagerstown turnpike, capturing two of their guns, and
            killed and wounded and took prisoner about thirty of the cavalry.
            Gen. Richardson's Division being in advance, took the road from this
            place toward Sharpsburg, two and a half miles from which twon he came
            up with the enemy in large force, who occupied a long ridge of hills.
            They showed a line of battle one mile and a half long.
            The afternoon was spent in ascertaining the position and force of the
            Rebels, not a sufficient number of our troops having come up to bring
            on an engagement.

            Tuesday Morning, Sept. 16, 1862.

            During last night the larger part of the army arrived on the ground.
            It is now 9 o'clock, and no engagement has taken place. The Rebels
            are rapidly moving across the river.

            HARRISBURG, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

            The prisoners, 100 in number, captured yesterday by the New-York and
            Illinois Cavalry, and sent to Chambersburg, were this morning brought
            to this city and sent to Camp Curtin. Claggett Fithugh, a resident of
            the vicinity of Chambersburg, was among the number. He has been
            furnishing information to the enemy since their raid into Maryland.
            The dead body of Gen. Garland was found concealed in one of the
            wagons captured by the same party of cavalry, between Hagerstown and
            Williamsport.
            The wire to Hagerstown is again in good working order.

            -----<>-----

            Later from the Front.

            FREDERICK, Md., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

            The following is to The Baltimore American:
            The intelligence from the front this morning is of the most cheering
            character. Notwithstanding the bad news from Harper's Ferry, Gen
            McClellan was pursuing them with a vigor most destructive to the
            enemy.
            McClellan pursued the enemy on Monday morning with his reserves and a
            large body of fresh troops. The enemy took road the toward the river
            at Harper's Ferry and at Sheppardstown, and he was pursuing them and
            shelling their retreat with great loss. In several contests Monday
            where they made a stand, our troops charged on them with such vigor
            that they fell back from point to point in great haste. The battles
            and advantages obtained on Monday are thought to be superior in
            importance than that of Sunday.
            Drayton's South Carolina brigade is entirely gone - either killed,
            wounded, or prisoners. The 17th Michigan, a new regiment, "done up"
            this brigade, first with bullets, finally with bayonets.
            Howell Cobb was wounded and taken prisoner, and will be back in
            Frederick sooner than he boasted he would.
            Gen. McClellan was pushing on them last evening, however, very close,
            and had already sent to the rear 8,000 prisoners and four batteries.
            Col. Stroge of the 19th Virginia and Col. James of the 3d South
            Carolina were killed on Sunday last. Their bodies were left in our
            possession.
            The South Carolina Brigade was severely handled.

            -----<>-----

            THE WAR IN WESTERN VIRGINIA

            -----<>-----

            The Fighting at Charleston - The Rebels
            Severely Handled - The Destruction of
            the Village - Orderly Retreat of Col.
            Lightburn.

            GALLIPOLIS, Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

            No particulars of the Charleston fight have been received. All
            reports, however, agree that the Rebels were severely handled, and
            repulsed with great loss. Col. Lightburn gave the citizens an hour's
            notice to leave the town before the place was destroyed. Lightburn's
            forces marched through the place in perfect order, taking the Ripley
            road, going toward Ravenswood, on the Ohio River, where they arrived
            this evening, bringing his baggage train through in safety. Steamers
            have been sent to his assistance. The 47th Ohio, 9th Virginia, and 2d
            Virginia Cavalry, who were cut off at Summerville, succeeded in
            joining Lightburn, and were in the Charleston fight.
            This place is full of refugee contrabands, who came down the Kanawha
            in boats, most of whom are in a destitute condition. There are 500
            sick and wounded soldiers here, sent from Charleston before the fight.
            The enemy is supposed to be moving slowly down the Kanawha.

            -----<>-----

            Guerrillas Routed

            QUINCY, Ill., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

            Col. McNeil had a two hours' fight with Porter's gang of guerrillas,
            near Shelburne, yesterday, resulting in the complete rout of the
            latter, with the loss of 2 killed and a number wounded. Col. McNeil
            captured 20 wagons and a number of horses and guns.
          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2001
              Brian Downey wrote:

              <Snip>

              > BTW, in the future I plan to get copies of other newspapers for
              > comparison ... I'll bet these events played a little differently in
              > Richmond!

              Brian,

              I've done quite a lot of work with the Richmond papers of that period.
              And you're right about how the accounts differed. If the piece
              originated with the Richmond paper and the battle was a success, it was
              a sound beating with the "enemy" being driven back towards Washington.
              If it was less than a success the story was still printed but with words
              like "temporary setback" included or "the numbers of the enemy proved to
              be too great, still the men of (plug in whichever unit that was
              engaged)engaged the enemy with boldness and gallantry."
              One thing that surprised me was entire dispatches and orders were often
              printed within a day or so of the battle. One other thing I found very
              interesting was the Richmond papers would often print the same story as
              it appeared in the Washington Star side by side of their own account.

              Regards,
              Teej