Ghosts

  • Quentin Holt
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 18, 2007
      One time during an Army Reserve drill weekend during the late 1980's, I
      read in an article in Army Trainer magazine that if a person were to
      lay his/her bedroll in the high weeds anywhere on the Sharpsburg
      battlefield on the night of a September 17 to sleep there for the
      night, the cries and moans of the wounded and the dying can be heard
      again.

      Does anyone have any knowlege related to the veracity or lack thereof f
      that statement in the Army Trainer?

      I wandered over all of the Sharpburg battlefield in July, 1991 and over
      several other blood-soaked, ghost-haunted locations during that month-
      long trip. I was at Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, The
      Wilderness, Harper's Ferry, and Spotsylvania. I felt psychicly wounded
      at all of them and feel that way again every time I think of them. I
      typically break down and cry like I am doing now.

      I could have visited the Lincoln Monument as it was only a hundred
      yards or so away from other places that I visited. I could not want to
      see it. It grieves me that such a monster can be worshiped as though
      he were god.

      Quentin Holt
    • T.R.Livesey
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 19, 2007
        I used to subscribe to Blue & Gray Magazine several years ago. It published lots of great tour material for the serious off the beaten path types. Unfortunately, it was only published 6 times a year, so each issue was kind of important. At some point they developed a tradition of doing 1 Gettysburg feature each June, no matter how overdone Gettysburg might be. By now they are probably down to doing ‘The General’ tours of Gettysburg outhouses. Worse, they also developed a tradition of doing a ‘Ghosts of the Civil War’ issue each October. Personally, I could not imagine a more ridiculous waste of paper than printing ghost stories; by comparison, Gettysburg outhouses sound kind of interesting. Here was a magazine which otherwise did an outstanding job of guiding the reader hands-on, through objective facts of civil war battles, and then 1 issue a year they blew that all away by filling their pages with silly ghost stories, which have absolutely no relevance for the serious historian. As far as I was concerned, this meant they really only published 4 times a year. After enduring several years of this nonsense, I cancelled my subscription.

        One of these issues (Fall 1997) featured ghost nonsense on The Irish Brigade at Bloody Lane, and another article featured the Pry House. I’ll sell you mine if you want it. I also have deeds to several prominent New York City bridges, if you are interested.

        T.R. Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        On Sat Aug 18 19:58 , "Quentin Holt" sent:

        >One time during an Army Reserve drill weekend during the late 1980's, I
        >read in an article in Army Trainer magazine that if a person were to
        >lay his/her bedroll in the high weeds anywhere on the Sharpsburg
        >battlefield on the night of a September 17 to sleep there for the
        >night, the cries and moans of the wounded and the dying can be heard
        >again.
        >
        >Does anyone have any knowlege related to the veracity or lack thereof f
        >that statement in the Army Trainer?
        >
        >I wandered over all of the Sharpburg battlefield in July, 1991 and over
        >several other blood-soaked, ghost-haunted locations during that month-
        >long trip. I was at Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, The
        >Wilderness, Harper's Ferry, and Spotsylvania. I felt psychicly wounded
        >at all of them and feel that way again every time I think of them. I
        >typically break down and cry like I am doing now.
        >
        >I could have visited the Lincoln Monument as it was only a hundred
        >yards or so away from other places that I visited. I could not want to
        >see it. It grieves me that such a monster can be worshiped as though
        >he were god.
        >
        >Quentin Holt
      • Mark Holt
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 19, 2007
          After Sharpsburg I visited the Kennedy Farm where old John Brown and his 19 men hid awaiting their time to strike Harper's Ferry. Then I followed the road that they took on that awful October morning in 1859 down to the town and spent the rest of the day into the evening there. Among the many stories that I had heard there was this one:

          For a fortnight during the summer of 1974, there was an old man that used to hang around the firehouse in Harpers Ferry. Tourists just assumed that he was a living prop hired by the National Park Service (which owned the town by then). Park Service personnel just imagined that he was a actor trying to psyche himself into the John Brown character role. Some time after he disappeared, the Park Service started getting numerous letters from most areas of the world from former tourists about the old man. They all said that they had invited him to pose with their group for pictures. He was clearly seen in the view finders when the pictures were taken, but when they were developed the pictures just showed an empty place where he had been.

          I would never call a story "silly" just because it is about ghosts. I know that they are real and even have some understanding of how two categories of them are able to manifest on our plane of existence. The whole world in general is haunted by millions of them, but it is just more noticable in some places than it is in others. I have no doubt by what they are especially numerous around Sharpsburg.

          As surely as you were born, you will have your turn to inhabit the spirit world. Then you will know.

          "T.R.Livesey" <tlivesey@...> wrote:
          I used to subscribe to Blue & Gray Magazine several years ago. It published lots of great tour material for the serious off the beaten path types. Unfortunately, it was only published 6 times a year, so each issue was kind of important. At some point they developed a tradition of doing 1 Gettysburg feature each June, no matter how overdone Gettysburg might be. By now they are probably down to doing ‘The General’ tours of Gettysburg outhouses. Worse, they also developed a tradition of doing a ‘Ghosts of the Civil War’ issue each October. Personally, I could not imagine a more ridiculous waste of paper than printing ghost stories; by comparison, Gettysburg outhouses sound kind of interesting. Here was a magazine which otherwise did an outstanding job of guiding the reader hands-on, through objective facts of civil war battles, and then 1 issue a year they blew that all away by filling their pages with silly ghost stories, which have absolutely no relevance
          for the serious historian. As far as I was concerned, this meant they really only published 4 times a year. After enduring several years of this nonsense, I cancelled my subscription.

          One of these issues (Fall 1997) featured ghost nonsense on The Irish Brigade at Bloody Lane, and another article featured the Pry House. I’ll sell you mine if you want it. I also have deeds to several prominent New York City bridges, if you are interested.

          T.R. Livesey
          tlivesey@...

          On Sat Aug 18 19:58 , "Quentin Holt" sent:

          >One time during an Army Reserve drill weekend during the late 1980's, I
          >read in an article in Army Trainer magazine that if a person were to
          >lay his/her bedroll in the high weeds anywhere on the Sharpsburg
          >battlefield on the night of a September 17 to sleep there for the
          >night, the cries and moans of the wounded and the dying can be heard
          >again.
          >
          >Does anyone have any knowlege related to the veracity or lack thereof f
          >that statement in the Army Trainer?
          >
          >I wandered over all of the Sharpburg battlefield in July, 1991 and over
          >several other blood-soaked, ghost-haunted locations during that month-
          >long trip. I was at Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, The
          >Wilderness, Harper's Ferry, and Spotsylvania. I felt psychicly wounded
          >at all of them and feel that way again every time I think of them. I
          >typically break down and cry like I am doing now.
          >
          >I could have visited the Lincoln Monument as it was only a hundred
          >yards or so away from other places that I visited. I could not want to
          >see it. It grieves me that such a monster can be worshiped as though
          >he were god.
          >
          >Quentin Holt

          test'; ">

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
            T.R.
            One of my colleagues, who lives near Gettysburg, has done an interesting documentary film about the "ghost tour" industry and why it is so appealing to some people. Needless to say, his opinion mirrors your own, but the study of who these people are and why they go on tours was interesting.
            Not surprisingly the motivation for offering them is $$$$$. The research is easy; make up a story around some real characters, and it is a proven money maker. Even if someone challenges the story they can say it is simply "a story. "
            As for the Harpers Ferry story related in a recent post, it is pure fiction. I know several people who worked there at that time and this myth has been refuted time and time again. Mindless stuff.

            >>> T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> 08/19/07 7:37 PM >>>

            I used to subscribe to Blue & Gray Magazine several years ago. It published lots of great tour material for the serious off the beaten path types. Unfortunately, it was only published 6 times a year, so each issue was kind of important. At some point they developed a tradition of doing 1 Gettysburg feature each June, no matter how overdone Gettysburg might be. By now they are probably down to doing ‘The General’ tours of Gettysburg outhouses. Worse, they also developed a tradition of doing a ‘Ghosts of the Civil War’ issue each October. Personally, I could not imagine a more ridiculous waste of paper than printing ghost stories; by comparison, Gettysburg outhouses sound kind of interesting. Here was a magazine which otherwise did an outstanding job of guiding the reader hands-on, through objective facts of civil war battles, and then 1 issue a year they blew that all away by filling their pages with silly ghost stories, which have absolutely no relevance for the serious historian. As far as I was concerned, this meant they really only published 4 times a year. After enduring several years of this nonsense, I cancelled my subscription.

            One of these issues (Fall 1997) featured ghost nonsense on The Irish Brigade at Bloody Lane, and another article featured the Pry House. I’ll sell you mine if you want it. I also have deeds to several prominent New York City bridges, if you are interested.

            T.R. Livesey
            tlivesey@...

            On Sat Aug 18 19:58 , "Quentin Holt" sent:

            >One time during an Army Reserve drill weekend during the late 1980's, I
            >read in an article in Army Trainer magazine that if a person were to
            >lay his/her bedroll in the high weeds anywhere on the Sharpsburg
            >battlefield on the night of a September 17 to sleep there for the
            >night, the cries and moans of the wounded and the dying can be heard
            >again.
            >
            >Does anyone have any knowlege related to the veracity or lack thereof f
            >that statement in the Army Trainer?
            >
            >I wandered over all of the Sharpburg battlefield in July, 1991 and over
            >several other blood-soaked, ghost-haunted locations during that month-
            >long trip. I was at Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, The
            >Wilderness, Harper's Ferry, and Spotsylvania. I felt psychicly wounded
            >at all of them and feel that way again every time I think of them. I
            >typically break down and cry like I am doing now.
            >
            >I could have visited the Lincoln Monument as it was only a hundred
            >yards or so away from other places that I visited. I could not want to
            >see it. It grieves me that such a monster can be worshiped as though
            >he were god.
            >
            >Quentin Holt

          • T.R.Livesey
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
              Are you suggesting that the spirit of John Brown has nothing better to do than hang around and pose for photographs by tourists? Sounds more like the ghost of Santa Claus. They both have wild, long beards, you know.

              I'll say it again: ghost are of no interest to the serious historian.

              T.R. Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              On Sun Aug 19 23:39 , Mark Holt <que182001@...> sent:

            • tangogee@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
                tlivesey@... writes:

                Are you suggesting that the spirit of John Brown has nothing better to do
                than hang around and pose for photographs by tourists? Sounds more like the
                ghost of Santa Claus. They both have wild, long beards, you know.

                I'll say it again: ghost are of no interest to the serious historian.

                I would say that is merely a matter of opinion and no amount of glib
                attempts to justify such a sweeping generalisation will prove it to be accurate.
                Ghosts are of no particular interest to me but I am not a serious historian just
                an interested observer of those who dismiss anything they do not understand
                or are disinterested in out of hand.

                Granville Marriott

              • Mark Holt
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
                  All serious historians are other things too. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am also fully aware that, for example, YOU might think that I am a fool or that I am stark raving mad. I have a natural curiousity that extends not only to history and current events but also to other dimensions worlds, and planes. All reality, past, present, and future is a unified whole.

                  All I did was recount the story as it was told to me on a street in Harper's Ferry. I have no direct knowledge other than that.

                  Actually, there are numerous spirits who choose to remain in a lower astral vibrational frequency band. They wander about the earth or remain where they are emotionally tied. They lack a sense of time as we understand time. (Actually, our understanding of time is merely an illusion anyway. We need it to cope with the other illusions that our lives are built around.) Many "ghosts" have no idea that they are "dead" as we describe them. They do have opportunties that are much better, but they know not of them or else choose to simply ignore them. They can and do concentrate their attention far more narrowly and solidly than we can. That makes it hard for mediums and other spirits who would help them to get and keep their attention. John Brown was so very heavily fixated on his earthly issues late in his earthly probation that he could be a prime candidate for being self-trapped in an astral plane. In his mind, he could still be living in December, 1859, but I hope
                  for his sake that he has progressed far beyond that and is actively seeking to become "a joint heir with Jesus Christ in all that the Father has."

                  Many if not most "ghosts" who hang around historical sites such as Sharpsburg and Harper's Ferry are merely "electric bodies" that would normally have dissapated away upon the death of their physical bodies except that they are held together by strong emotional energy. They are dumb creatures of habit with no real consciousness. Their eternal essenses are usually engaged in subsequent incarnations, in the "paradise" of the "fifth dimension," or are otherwise progressing toward their eternal goals.

                  Many other ghostly apparitions, especially groups bound in with scenes as they were when they passed from this plane, are merely reflections of energy forms that the modern viewer has tapped into inadvertantly. (Past, present, and future are actually illusions too. The present is only present to us because that is where our conscousness is focused. If that concept blows your mind, it does mine too.) It is sort of like one distant AM radio station drifting and bleeding into another late at night. It is somewhat similar to instances of 1950's or 1960's television and radio broadcasts being picked up on receivers in the Bermuda Triangle in modern times.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
                    Dear Mark,

                    Your discussion could have some merit, but please be aware there
                    will be others on this forum who will disagree.

                    Specifically, what experiences might you have had at the Sunken
                    Road area of the Antietam battlefield?

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
                      Here's my ghost story. I know its true because my friend who knew somebody who worked for the park service overhead some people talking about it. Here's how it went:

                      Several years ago some people were in the Dunker Church. Suddenly, a man burst in; he looked like he was running from someone or some thing. The curious thing was that he was disguised in women's clothing. He had an educated southern accent to his speech. Out of breath, he dragged himself up to the alter and kneeled in front of it and began to pray: "Dear Lord, Dear Lord. Hear me! I know I have committed a great sin against my fellow man, and now I beg for forgiveness! Please have mercy! Please let me rest! I have done wrong but I have suffered enough!" He then sobbed for a few moments, until the sound of many horses were heard to approach, and stopped just outside the church. From outside, one voice with a northern accent yelled "he's in there!" Another yelled "I've got the rope!" Still another yelled "There's an apple tree that will do just fine!" At this the man in the woman's dress started yelling "no! no!", and then faded away right before everyone's eyes! Everyone ran outside, but here were no horsemen, and nobody outside saw or heard anything unusual.

                      And that's the honest truth as told to me, so help me God.

                      T.R. Livesey
                      tlivesey@...

                      On Mon Aug 20 15:03 , tangogee@... sent:

                      >In a message dated 20/08/2007 18:55:07 GMT Daylight Time,
                      >tlivesey@... writes:
                      >
                      >Are you suggesting that the spirit of John Brown has nothing better to do
                      >than hang around and pose for photographs by tourists? Sounds more like the
                      >ghost of Santa Claus. They both have wild, long beards, you know.
                      >
                      >I'll say it again: ghost are of no interest to the serious historian.
                      >

                      >I would say that is merely a matter of opinion and no amount of glib
                      >attempts to justify such a sweeping generalisation will prove it to be accurate.
                      >Ghosts are of no particular interest to me but I am not a serious historian just
                      >an interested observer of those who dismiss anything they do not understand
                      >or are disinterested in out of hand.
                      >
                      >Granville Marriott

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Your email settings:
                      > Individual Email | Traditional
                      >
                      > To change settings online go to:
                      > (Yahoo! ID required)
                      >
                      > To change settings via email:
                      > TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      > TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • T.R.Livesey
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007

                        I agree 100%. Is this documentary available? Sounds interesting. Actually, I do love a good ghost story. It started when my wife and I went to London and went on a "Jack the Ripper" ghost tour (we had already done the JtR history tour the time before). It was great fun, so now we do ghost tours everywhere we go: New Orleans, Savannah, etc. Mindless entertainment, but entertainment nonetheless. If nothing else, a nice way to visit a city after hours in a safe way.

                        But it is just that: entertainment. Not history.

                        T.R. Livesey
                        tlivesey@...

                        On Mon Aug 20 9:26 , 'Thomas Clemens' <clemenst@...> sent:

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
                          At the Sunken Road, I was with a group of about three dozen other tourists and listening raptly to our tour guide. He wore a Park Service uniform, but I think that he was an unpaid volunteer. He told us in detail what had happened there. I recall hearing about the green federal trainees who scarcely knew how to load their muskets but were good at drill and who marched in neat close-order to their deaths. The lay of the land exposed them to deadly head shots that they could not return from their location and were dead before they could march beyond that area. I recall hearing of the "Irish Brigage" that with swan loads in smooth-bore muskets that was mostly shot down before it could march to the maximum effective range of it's muskets to the road. The few that remained delivered a hail of bullets (four per shot) into the closely packed defenders. There was no way for them to miss. I recall seeing on an "interpretive sign" a horrid photograph taken after the battle.
                          The road was deep in rags and bloated Confederate defenders who had eventually been almost flanked and exposed to enfilade fire. Those who survived that made a panicked retreat, and many were shot in the back as they ran for their lives.

                          I spent an entire day at Sharpsburg and saw all of the battlefield. I asked a female Park Service ranger if the place every gave her the blues. She said that it did.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
                            I'll ask him if I can send you a copy, not sure if he had it released by anybody, etc. he made another this summer that is a mockumentary of ghost tours, haven't seen it yet.
                            Hate to spoil your ghost story of the Dunker Church, but it doesn't have, nor ever did have, an alter. Dunkers believe alters are idolatry. Oh well, another good story, shot to pieces....

                            >>> T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> 08/20/07 4:14 PM >>>

                            Tom,

                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007

                              Sounds pretty cleaver. I hope it becomes available.

                              As for the altar, yes that is true, but the gullible don't notice details like that. I can only tell you what my friend told me...

                              Still not as crazy as John Brown posing for tourist photos. That cracks me up.

                              T.R. Livesey
                              tlivesey@...

                              On Mon Aug 20 15:48 , 'Thomas Clemens' <clemenst@...> sent:

                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 20, 2007
                                Dear Mark,

                                While it is good to spend an entire day at Antietam, I have
                                found, through many personal visits and tramps of the field, the
                                field itself only gives up its secrets if one is persistent. Even
                                after all this time and all the visits I've made there, questions
                                still remain............

                              • richard@rcroker.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 21, 2007
                                  Boo!
                                  Here's my ghost story. I know its true because my friend who knew somebody who worked for the park service overhead some people talking about it. Here's how it went:

                                  Several years ago some people were in the Dunker Church. Suddenly, a man burst in; he looked like he was running from someone or some thing. The curious thing was that he was disguised in women's clothing. He had an educated southern accent to his speech. Out of breath, he dragged himself up to the alter and kneeled in front of it and began to pray: "Dear Lord, Dear Lord. Hear me! I know I have committed a great sin against my fellow man, and now I beg for forgiveness! Please have mercy! Please let me rest! I have done wrong but I have suffered enough!" He then sobbed for a few moments, until the sound of many horses were heard to approach, and stopped just outside the church. From outside, one voice with a northern accent yelled "he's in there!" Another yelled "I've got the rope!" Still another yelled "There's an apple tree that will do just fine!" At this the man in the woman's dress started yelling "no! no!", and then faded away right before everyone's eyes! Everyone ran outside, but here were no horsemen, and nobody outside saw or heard anything unusual.

                                  And that's the honest truth as told to me, so help me God.

                                  T.R. Livesey
                                  tlivesey@...

                                  On Mon Aug 20 15:03 , tangogee@... sent:

                                  >In a message dated 20/08/2007 18:55:07 GMT Daylight Time,
                                  >tlivesey@... writes:
                                  >
                                  >Are you suggesting that the spirit of John Brown has nothing better to do
                                  >than hang around and pose for photographs by tourists? Sounds more like the
                                  >ghost of Santa Claus. They both have wild, long beards, you know.
                                  >
                                  >I'll say it again: ghost are of no interest to the serious historian.
                                  >

                                  >I would say that is merely a matter of opinion and no amount of glib
                                  >attempts to justify such a sweeping generalisation will prove it to be accurate.
                                  >Ghosts are of no particular interest to me but I am not a serious historian just
                                  >an interested observer of those who dismiss anything they do not understand
                                  >or are disinterested in out of hand.
                                  >
                                  >Granville Marriott

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  > Your email settings:
                                  > Individual Email | Traditional
                                  >
                                  > To change settings online go to:
                                  > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                  >
                                  > To change settings via email:
                                  > TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  > TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Bud Wilkinson
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 21, 2007
                                    In the times that I have stayed at the Cashtown Inn it seems as though at
                                    least 50 percent of those staying there were there only to look for
                                    ghosts. Gee, I never saw or heard any. Sometimes a think a little creak
                                    in a floorboard means a ghost is afoot to some.

                                    During the 135 anniversary of Antietam in 1997 a friend of mine took a
                                    photo that seems to be amazing. It clearly shows ghosts marching among the
                                    clouds.
                                    Hint.....it's an accidental double exposure, but it sure is neat. If the
                                    group would like to see it I will send it along. Just let me know.

                                    Bud Wilkinson
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 21, 2007
                                      Dear Bud,

                                      Glad to hear from you finally after all these years. Sure, see if
                                      you can post the photo!

                                      > In the times that I have stayed at the Cashtown Inn it seems as
                                      > though at
                                      > least 50 percent of those staying there were there only to look
                                      > for
                                      > ghosts. Gee, I never saw or heard any. Sometimes a think a
                                      > little creak
                                      > in a floorboard means a ghost is afoot to some.
                                      >
                                      > During the 135 anniversary of Antietam in 1997 a friend of mine
                                      > took a
                                      > photo that seems to be amazing. It clearly shows ghosts
                                      > marching among the
                                      > clouds.
                                      > Hint.....it's an accidental double exposure, but it sure is
                                      > neat. If the
                                      > group would like to see it I will send it along. Just let me
                                      > know.
                                      >
                                      > Bud Wilkinson

                                    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 21, 2007
                                        Clothing and garments do not die, so isn't reasonable that ghosts (if they exist) would all be naked?

                                        Bill Christen

                                      • Mark Holt
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 21, 2007
                                          This is complicated. It cuts to the physics of matter and energy and consciousness. I do not understand the details of it, but I am given to believe by people whom I imagine are smarter than I that the difference between solidity of a chunk of firewood and the heat of a fire is merely a matter of vibrational frequency and amplitude. Thoughts are energy and matter is energy in a different form. Your mind is not your body and you are not your body. Your body is a vehicle that allows you to operate in this dense, heavy plane that it is tuned to.

                                          In the spirit worlds, your thoughtforms can take on a reality that seems independent of you when they are finished and probably is. Want a new house? In the astral, you can just think it up, and it seems as real as your present house built with hammer, nails, and sweat in this dimension.

                                          People whose mortal bodies have failed them ("dead people" as we commonly refer to them) can and frequently do reconstruct their bodies and their clothes in astral form. Often they leave off the feet or we just are not able to perceive them. When we "see a ghost," that astral frequency, very near to ours, is bleeding into our bandwidth of reception and perception.

                                          Actually, we broadcast energy into the astral constantly. There are some "ghosts" in the astral planes whose bodies in this physical plane are merely asleep, allowing their astral forms to travel where they will until wake-up time. They are attached by a silver chord of infinite flexibility.

                                          When you pass to the spirit world, try this: First, imagine yourself naked. You will become so immediately if you were not to begin with. Then imagine yourself wearing a bikini of your favorite color. Picture it in your mind. As quick as a thought, it will be there. Then imagine yourself holding a million dollars. Think of how heavy it will be and the colors and the numbers on the greenbacks, what the money is contained in, etc. Of course, you might feel silly with a million dollars in the spirit world. Material things and dollars have not much value there.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                            I got to the point where I was supposed to imagine myself in a bikini and just couldn't stop laughing after that.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007

                                              I really didn't need that image in my head. Thanks for sharing <g>

                                              Stephen

                                              On Wednesday, August 22, 2007, at 09:35 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                              > I got to the point where I was supposed to imagine myself in a bikini
                                              > and just couldn't stop laughing after that.

                                            • Harry Smeltzer
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                Says who? You ever been?

                                                >>> Mark Holt <que182001@yahoo. <mailto:que182001%40yahoo.com> com> 08/21/07
                                                10:11 PM >>>

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                  There's a nice picture of a fully clothed Tom (a rare find indeed!) on the
                                                  SHAF site (www.shaf.org <http://www.shaf.org/> ) presenting a nice check to
                                                  ANB staff.

                                                  Also a full schedule for the Heritage Festival.

                                                  Harry

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                    Really him, or his ghost?

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                      Ok, so if I follow your reasoning, why wasn't the ghost of John Brown dressed in a bikini?

                                                      T.R. Livesey
                                                      tlivesey@...

                                                    • bdowney@aotw.org
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                        Hello friends,

                                                        Let's see if we can't bring this ghost thread back around to something to do with the Maryland Campaign of 1862, ok?

                                                        Thanks,
                                                        Brian
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                          Dear Brian,

                                                          I agree...it has gotten out of hand....

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                            Oh, I don't know. He probably never thought of such a thing is his life. If he did, he probably squashed the image out of his mind immediately as sinful and vulgar. John Brown was intensely religious in his own narrow sort of way. He did have the build for a brief swimsuit but not the temperment.

                                                            I very much like bikinis though. I wear brief Speedo-style swimwear, and I swim laps often for exercise. I swam across the Potomac (close to where Antietam Creek flows into it) and back too in 1991. The exercise keeps me looking good in bikini-type swimsuits even though I am only one year younger than John Brown was in the last year of his life.

                                                            I very much agree that this ghost subject has gone on long enough for this forum, and with this I have ended my part of it.

                                                            John Brown was a very interesting fellow. Most people who know anything of him at all just dismiss him as a scarey and dangerous old crazy man who got a lot of people killed. He was that in spades, but he was also a man of self-education and very much a man of experience and principle. My guess is that he became a mental case mostly as a result of his experiences in Bleeding Kansas and possibly for some degeneration of his brain contributed to by age and stress. During the 1840's, he was among the nation's foremost experts on raising sheep and producing wool. He had ideas that, if followed, would have made lucrative inroads for American wool growers to supply Britain's woolen industry. Before the real estate and banking crisis of 1837, he had even been rich.

                                                            John Brown and the kind of mentality that he represented was a terrible scare to the slaveholders of America. Many of them knew in their hearts that he was right about slavery being an evil thing as many Americans practiced it. Most of those who did not feared that he was. All knew that men like John Brown would never compromise. Yet what could they do? Imagine yourselves in their place. Imagine how they felt when northern newspapers praised John Brown's actions at Harper's Ferry. A general slave insurrection like the one that John Brown envisioned really would "purge this land in blood." It seemed to the white people in the slave states that northerners literally wanted them dead; murdered in their own beds. Would you want to share a nation with millions of people who felt that way about you?

                                                            As you well know, after the federal and northern state victory at Sharpsburg, President Lincoln issued his famous (or infamous) "Emancipation Proclamation." If the Confederacy was bogus like Lincoln & Co. held that it was, then its member states must have been still member states of the United States. The Constitution gave no power to the general government of the United States or to the President to confiscate property private property save by due process of law. Nor did the Constitution give power to the general government to wage war on member states. Furthermore, the Constitution made no distinction between slave property and any other property. The Emancipation Proclamation specifically applied only to those states over which the United States government had no actual control at that time. It seemed to a lot of people, and it seems to me now, that the Emancipation Proclamation was a deliberate attempt to incite a general slave insurrection or many smaller ones
                                                            in the Confederacy. It was for that cause that Lincoln held the document in secrecy until he could announce it after a major military victory. That victory was at Sharpsburg. He imagined somehow that doing so would make it seem less on its surface to be a cruel incitement to the mass murder of civilians than it would if he had announced it soon after he had written it.

                                                            Mark Holt

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 23, 2007
                                                              I have visited John Brown sites from Maryland to Kansas; I have admired his portrait in the ���Hall of Heroes��� at the DuSable Museum of African American History (the only white portrait there, if I remember correctly). John Brown was no crazier than anyone else with religious convictions. His primary distinction was that he took his moral guidance from 1 and only 1 source: Scripture. Richard Dawkins points out in his book ���The God Delusion��� that most Americans today (and I would guess by extension 19th century Americans, although perhaps to a lesser rate) are at odds with the wanton killing, rape, child abuse, incest, polygamy and slavery condoned by and even demanded by God in the Bible; therefore���even if they deny it���they must take their moral instruction from some other source or at least augment their Biblical morality with morality from other sources. This was not the case for John Brown: he took his moral instruction from Scripture and Scripture alone, and was not afraid to allow his convictions to guide his actions to their natural conclusions. If you think that���s crazy, well���that���s your call.

                                                              I find your grasp of history and law about as authoritative as your grasp of physics. Needless to say, I could quote any number of Southern leaders, politicians, clergymen, etc. who in fact argued that slavery was a great good: good for the slaves rescued from barbarity and good for Southern civilizations and ordained by God. If ���many��� southerners allowed themselves to be led by these leaders against their better judgment, I certainly have no sympathy for them, just as I have no sympathy for Germans who went to fight for Hitler even if they didn���t buy into his anti-Semitism.

                                                              T.R. Livesey
                                                              tlivesey@...

                                                              On Thu Aug 23 0:05 , Mark Holt <que182001@...> sent:

                                                            • richard@rcroker.com
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 23, 2007
                                                                I love "intensely religious" people who are capable of hacking a man to death with a machete. Just cause or wrong, I have read most of the Gospels and it seems a bit contradictory to me somehow. But hey -- what do I know?