Re: [TalkAntietam] George W. Batchelder 19th MA

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
      When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it. What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
      What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the battle..."
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
        Richard Croker wrote:

        > When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to
        Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a
        cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like
        I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it.
        What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
        > What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest
        that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the
        battle..."

        Then there's the private who before every battle, wrote in his
        journal, "today I was killed." IIRC, he survived the war. :-)

        Teej