Books

  • vicki wright
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
      I am sending this to the civil war groups I belong to. Looking for a list
      of good Civil War books that are easy to read and understand. Also, looking
      for a list of good books about ghosts of the civil war in Gettysburg,
      Antietam, Manasses, Bull Run and areas in the general area. I have most of
      Shelby Foote's books and one by Ken Burns already, along with a few others.

      Thank you guys very much.

      Vicki in Maryland
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
        Vicki,

        Hello. While I'm not a big proponent of Civil War ghost stories, I am a
        big fan of Wilmer Mumma, and he wrote a book called Ghosts of Antietam.
        You can usually find a copy on www.bookfinder.com for about $45.

        The stories are, for the most part, not true. Someone once told me that
        they asked Wilmer if any of the stories in his ghost book were true. He
        said, "Well, one of them is...maybe."

        Stephen

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
          Vicki;

          If you're interested in well-researched "history as fiction," I am not at all reluctant to recommend my own "easy to read and understand" books.

          They are "To Make Men Free; a Novel of the Battle of Antietam," and "No Greater Courage; a Novel of the Battle of Fredericksburg." They contain no ficticious characters or events and were proofed by the historians at Antietam and Fredericksburg NBPs.

          Richard Croker

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
            I too am a Wilmer fan. He once "published" about four pages of his grandmother's (I presume) childhood recollections of 9/17 which include a brief visit with Gen. Burnside. Her name was Ada, and she had a bit of a rough go of it, especially in the aftermath. Very compelling story.

            Richard