Ezra Carman release date

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2007
      A few sharp-eyed members of this board, noticing the conflicting
      dates mentioned in recent issues of Civil War Times for the release
      of Ezra A. Carman's history of the MD campaign (which I have been
      editing for the past year), have emailed me privately in recent days
      asking for the status of the project.

      The book proper has been complete for several weeks now. All that
      remains to be done is for the index to be constructed. To do this,
      however, I need the publisher to provide me with final, typeset
      pages.

      Due to some production snags, the transmission of those pages has
      been delayed by a few weeks. (The book is so big--approx. half a
      million words when you include all of my notes--that the designers
      have had a hard time settling on final specifications for the size of
      the pages, the size of the type, the number of pages, etc.)

      I've been adamant with the publishers that no effort be spared in
      making the index as comprehensive and detailed as possible--a request
      with which I am happy to say they have been in full agreement.
      Unfortunately, doing so means that the book will not be available in
      time for the 145th anniversary, as I had hoped.

      The publishers have revised their timetable, and they now expect the
      book to release in early November.

      The delay is frustrating, but I remind myself that it took 100 years
      to get General Carman's work into print. If a six more weeks are
      what is necessary to make the final product the best it can be, it
      seems a reasonable price to pay.

      --jake

      BTW: I'd invite any members who might be considering the purchase of
      Carman's history to email me privately before ordering it online at
      the full retail price. The publisher discounts the book at 20% off
      at my speaking engagements, and I'm more than happy to pass on the
      discounted order form to anyone who might wish it.
    • dickeyr46@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2007
        Jake,

        Thanks for your kind offer on making your forthcoming book available to us Talk Antietam participants at publisher discount. I certainly would like to be added to your list. The more I've seen on the book, the more anxious I've become for its publication.

        Due to work requirements, it looks like I'll miss the anniversary events this year. I've participated in all the walks the last several years.

        Good luck with the final stages of the book,
        Ron Dickey
        dickeyr46@...

        From: "joseph_pierro" <joseph_pierro@...>
        > A few sharp-eyed members of this board, noticing the conflicting
        > dates mentioned in recent issues of Civil War Times for the release
        > of Ezra A. Carman's history of the MD campaign (which I have been
        > editing for the past year), have emailed me privately in recent days
        > asking for the status of the project.
        >
        > The book proper has been complete for several weeks now. All that
        > remains to be done is for the index to be constructed. To do this,
        > however, I need the publisher to provide me with final, typeset
        > pages.
        >
        > Due to some production snags, the transmission of those pages has
        > been delayed by a few weeks. (The book is so big--approx. half a
        > million words when you include all of my notes--that the designers
        > have had a hard time settling on final specifications for the size of
        > the pages, the size of the type, the number of pages, etc.)
        >
        > I've been adamant with the publishers that no effort be spared in
        > making the index as comprehensive and detailed as possible--a request
        > with which I am happy to say they have been in full agreement.
        > Unfortunately, doing so means that the book will not be available in
        > time for the 145th anniversary, as I had hoped.
        >
        > The publishers have revised their timetable, and they now expect the
        > book to release in early November.
        >
        > The delay is frustrating, but I remind myself that it took 100 years
        > to get General Carman's work into print. If a six more weeks are
        > what is necessary to make the final product the best it can be, it
        > seems a reasonable price to pay.
        >
        > --jake
        >
        > BTW: I'd invite any members who might be considering the purchase of
        > Carman's history to email me privately before ordering it online at
        > the full retail price. The publisher discounts the book at 20% off
        > at my speaking engagements, and I'm more than happy to pass on the
        > discounted order form to anyone who might wish it.

      • Steven Charnick
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2007
          Yes, Jake, please add me to the list too - thanks!

          dickeyr46@comcast. net

          From: "joseph_pierro" <joseph_pierro@ yahoo.com>

          > A few sharp-eyed members of this board, noticing the conflicting

          > dates mentioned in recent issues of Civil War Times for the release

          > of Ezra A. Carman's history of the MD campaign (which I have been

          > editing for the past year), have emailed me privately in recent days

          > asking for the status of the project.

          > The book proper has been complete for several weeks now. All that

          > remains to be done is for the index to be constructed. To do this,

          > however, I need the publisher to provide me with final, typeset

          > pages.

          > Due to some production snags, the transmission of those pages has

          > been delayed by a few weeks. (The book is so big--approx. half a

          > million words when you include all of my notes--that the designers

          > have had a hard time settling on final specifications for the size of

          > the pages, the size of the type, the number of pages, etc.)

          > I've been adamant with the publishers that no effort be spared in

          > making the index as comprehensive and detailed as possible--a request

          > with which I am happy to say they have been in full agreement.

          > Unfortunately, doing so means that the book will not be available in

          > time for the 145th anniversary, as I had hoped.

          > The publishers have revised their timetable, and they now expect the

          > book to release in early November.

          > The delay is frustrating, but I remind myself that it took 100 years

          > to get General Carman's work into print. If a six more weeks are

          > what is necessary to make the final product the best it can be, it

          > seems a reasonable price to pay.

          > --jake

          > BTW: I'd invite any members who might be considering the purchase of

          > Carman's history to email me privately before ordering it online at

          > the full retail price. The publisher discounts the book at 20% off

          > at my speaking engagements, and I'm more than happy to pass on the

          > discounted order form to anyone who might wish it.

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;