Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Area power needs could trump view ofbattlefield

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2007
      The problem, of course, is that NPS is particularly sensitive to political pressure when it comes to local land use issues of this sort. I don't mean to cast any aspersions on Mr. Howard, nor do I think he has anything but the park's best interests at heart, but the decisions in such matters happen much farther up the NPS/Interior chain of command.

      Some of you might remember a somehwat analagous situation a few years back regarding the Sudley Road/Warrenton Turnpike intersection at Manassas NMP. Local business interests wanted the intersection at the Stone House widened to allow more commercial traffic to make its way through the park. The issue pitted the friends of the battlefield against the commercial interests of parties in the surrounding county. Given the dollars invested by the latter party, it didn;t take long for our Congressional representative to see things the developers' way, and his office essentially told NPS to drop its opposition to the widening.

      I hope Steve is correct in his assumption that the political representatives for the area encompassing Antietam NB are more concerned about battlefield preservations than were those for Manassas NB. Those of you who are local to the battlefield and politically active can better speak to the responsiveness of your Congressional delegation on such issues.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2007
        Richard,
        You're correct, and protecting "viewsheds" is an important mission for the NPS.