Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Area power needs could trump view of battlefield

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2007
      Yes Steve,
      very much the case. This is not a small electrical line line G-burg's Emmittsburg Road. This is 750MW line, about twice or three times the capacity of the lines running up South Mt and through Fox's Gap now. It is running from WV up to NY, and as Steve sugggests, the company has eminent domain and can run it whereever they like. John Howard and the NPS have been monitoring this for several months. We know it will cross C & O Canal someplace, there is no choice. No other sites or routes have been announced. In its entirity, it has the potential to affect a large number of NPS sites, to say nothing of state parks and historic sites.
      While we recognize the necessity of feeding the power grid, we will lobby to minimize the impact on Antietam and the area near it. There is a certain deja vu here, the towers in place now were slated to run through Antietam and were diverted with much effort in the 1970's. This new line will require a cleared 4 or 500 ft right-of-way due to the height of the towers.
      Rest assured SHAF and hte NPS are watching for any news of this issue.
      Tom Clemens

      >>> "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@...> 08/11/07 10:52 AM >>>
      If I could offer the perspective of someone who is both a CW
      enthusiast and preservation group member...as well as someone who
      works in the field of planning and development....

      This is the end game of NIMBYism.

      Everybody wants power. Everybody wants commerce, a new house, and
      conveniences. Just...not if they can see it from their front window.

      The utility companies have found local governments and citizen
      activist groups so hostile, that they have gone to the Federal
      Government to get eminent domain authority in order to put in these
      high power lines and power plants. They have been forced to find
      a "path of least resistence" in order to provide our growing economy
      and population with the resources it needs to flourish....around
      massive roadblocks.

      Remember recently the hub bub about the proposed plant at Point of
      Rocks? Everybody wants electricity....just no one wants the power
      plants or power lines.

      So...the idea of creating corridors along places like Antietam, which
      should be non-starters, get traction because the power companies hit
      roadblocks elsewhere. The "Save the Viewshed of Nothing Happened
      Here Mountain" folks have forced the power companies into this kind
      of situation.

      But...in the end...with the Senator and Congressman involved, and all
      the heat that the preservation community can generate to protect such
      an important battlefield, I think things will work out where an
      alignment will be created that will protect the battlefield. This
      kind of stuff is in the very early stages.

      Steve B.