Re: [TalkAntietam] George W. Batchelder 19th MA

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2007

      Excellent. Simply amazing.

      Cheers,
      Stephen

      On Friday, August 10, 2007, at 11:53 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

      > The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For
      > Batchelder's story,
      > please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let me know.
      >
      > Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
      > Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.
    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2007

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com> , Stephen Recker <recker@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition about
        his
        > death at Antietam? Thanks.
        >
        > Stephen Recker

        Steve,

        This account is taken from pages 131-132 of the reprint of "History of
        the Nineteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry 1861-1865," by
        Ernest Linden Waitt. If you need more information about Bachelder let
        me know. I have transcripts of letters he wrote to the Salem newspapers
        while a member of the 8th as well as the 19th Massachusetts. In
        particular there's a poignant letter he wrote to his sister days before
        he was killed.

        Scott

        "On the night of Sept. 16, 1862, while the destiny of a nation remained
        undecided, and while the fate of a multitude of soldiers was obviously
        pending, it is not strange that the minds of the combatants were imbued
        with unusual solemnity. Lossing remarks that "the night of the 16th was
        passed by both armies with the expectation of a heavy battle in the
        morning. Few officers found relief from anxiety, for it was believed by
        many that it might be the turning point of the war."
        Capt. George W. Bachelder and Second Lieut. Edgar M.
        Newcomb of Company C were fast friends and as they were about to turn
        in for night, on this eve of the battle of Antietam, Bachelder asked his
        junior officer, as he sat reading his Bible, to read a chapter
        aloud. Surprised at the captain's request, he happily complied
        and was asked to continue until several chapters had been read. Then,
        under the same blanket, they lay down to rest, but not to sleep,
        for Capt. Bachelder, as if forewarned of the fate which was to be his
        within a few hours, talked as he never had before to Newcomb in regard
        to the affairs of the company; telling him, among other things, of
        certain money, "The Company Fund," which he had from time to time
        sent home to his father in Lynn for safe keeping, advising him in regard
        to matters pertaining to the company and making in general such
        arrangements as one would make if taking leave of them forever. Then
        they slept,—Capt. Bachelder his last on earth, for he was killed in
        the battle of the following day; Newcomb being spared, but to
        answer the final summons in the next battle,—Fredericksburg.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
          Unbelievable........a true "gentle" man... I wonder how many
          others of both sides had similar premonitions of death at
          Sharpsburg on that fateful day and handled their final affairs
          with the same thoughtfulness and courage?

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
            When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it. What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
            What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the battle..."

            > The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For
            > Batchelder's story,
            > please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let
            > me know.
            >
            > Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
            > Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.
            >
            > http://books.google.com/books?id=-e4AXtDmj5IC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=george+batchelder+antietam&source=web&ots=rjRHJPTP1_&sig=4xwx2MGmU1_Nsp-mNKSrq5Pznbg#PPA1,M1
            >
            > Tom Shay

            > From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
            > Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition
            > about his
            > death at Antietam? Thanks.
            >
            > Stephen Recker

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
              Richard Croker wrote:

              > When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to
              Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a
              cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like
              I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it.
              What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
              > What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest
              that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the
              battle..."

              Then there's the private who before every battle, wrote in his
              journal, "today I was killed." IIRC, he survived the war. :-)

              Teej