Re: [TalkAntietam] George W. Batchelder 19th MA

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10 8:53 AM
      Stephen,

      The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For Batchelder's story,
      please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let me know.

      Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
      Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.

      http://books.google.com/books?id=-e4AXtDmj5IC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=george+batchelder+antietam&source=web&ots=rjRHJPTP1_&sig=4xwx2MGmU1_Nsp-mNKSrq5Pznbg#PPA1,M1

      From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
      Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition about his
      death at Antietam? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

    • Marc73@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10 10:03 AM
        What I found interesting was the fact when he was near death, he mentioned his mother. Countless times I have read about soldiers during the civil war on both sides mentioning or calling for their mother as death neared.

        Marc Riddell 83rd PVI
        2nd USSS
        Potomac Legion

        From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10 1:43 PM

          Excellent. Simply amazing.

          Cheers,
          Stephen

          On Friday, August 10, 2007, at 11:53 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

          > The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For
          > Batchelder's story,
          > please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let me know.
          >
          > Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
          > Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.
        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 11 9:34 AM

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com> , Stephen Recker <recker@...>
            wrote:

            > Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition about
            his
            > death at Antietam? Thanks.
            >
            > Stephen Recker

            Steve,

            This account is taken from pages 131-132 of the reprint of "History of
            the Nineteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry 1861-1865," by
            Ernest Linden Waitt. If you need more information about Bachelder let
            me know. I have transcripts of letters he wrote to the Salem newspapers
            while a member of the 8th as well as the 19th Massachusetts. In
            particular there's a poignant letter he wrote to his sister days before
            he was killed.

            Scott

            "On the night of Sept. 16, 1862, while the destiny of a nation remained
            undecided, and while the fate of a multitude of soldiers was obviously
            pending, it is not strange that the minds of the combatants were imbued
            with unusual solemnity. Lossing remarks that "the night of the 16th was
            passed by both armies with the expectation of a heavy battle in the
            morning. Few officers found relief from anxiety, for it was believed by
            many that it might be the turning point of the war."
            Capt. George W. Bachelder and Second Lieut. Edgar M.
            Newcomb of Company C were fast friends and as they were about to turn
            in for night, on this eve of the battle of Antietam, Bachelder asked his
            junior officer, as he sat reading his Bible, to read a chapter
            aloud. Surprised at the captain's request, he happily complied
            and was asked to continue until several chapters had been read. Then,
            under the same blanket, they lay down to rest, but not to sleep,
            for Capt. Bachelder, as if forewarned of the fate which was to be his
            within a few hours, talked as he never had before to Newcomb in regard
            to the affairs of the company; telling him, among other things, of
            certain money, "The Company Fund," which he had from time to time
            sent home to his father in Lynn for safe keeping, advising him in regard
            to matters pertaining to the company and making in general such
            arrangements as one would make if taking leave of them forever. Then
            they slept,—Capt. Bachelder his last on earth, for he was killed in
            the battle of the following day; Newcomb being spared, but to
            answer the final summons in the next battle,—Fredericksburg.

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 13 5:29 PM
              Unbelievable........a true "gentle" man... I wonder how many
              others of both sides had similar premonitions of death at
              Sharpsburg on that fateful day and handled their final affairs
              with the same thoughtfulness and courage?

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 13 6:11 PM
                When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it. What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
                What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the battle..."

                > The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For
                > Batchelder's story,
                > please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let
                > me know.
                >
                > Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
                > Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.
                >
                > http://books.google.com/books?id=-e4AXtDmj5IC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=george+batchelder+antietam&source=web&ots=rjRHJPTP1_&sig=4xwx2MGmU1_Nsp-mNKSrq5Pznbg#PPA1,M1
                >
                > Tom Shay

                > From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
                > Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition
                > about his
                > death at Antietam? Thanks.
                >
                > Stephen Recker

              • barringer63
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 13 6:22 PM
                  Richard Croker wrote:

                  > When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to
                  Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a
                  cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like
                  I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it.
                  What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
                  > What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest
                  that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the
                  battle..."

                  Then there's the private who before every battle, wrote in his
                  journal, "today I was killed." IIRC, he survived the war. :-)

                  Teej