George W. Batchelder 19th MA

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10 5:54 AM
      Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition about his
      death at Antietam? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
    • RoteBaron@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10 8:53 AM
        Stephen,

        The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For Batchelder's story,
        please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let me know.

        Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
        Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.

        http://books.google.com/books?id=-e4AXtDmj5IC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=george+batchelder+antietam&source=web&ots=rjRHJPTP1_&sig=4xwx2MGmU1_Nsp-mNKSrq5Pznbg#PPA1,M1

        From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

      • Marc73@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10 10:03 AM
          What I found interesting was the fact when he was near death, he mentioned his mother. Countless times I have read about soldiers during the civil war on both sides mentioning or calling for their mother as death neared.

          Marc Riddell 83rd PVI
          2nd USSS
          Potomac Legion

          From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10 1:43 PM

            Excellent. Simply amazing.

            Cheers,
            Stephen

            On Friday, August 10, 2007, at 11:53 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

            > The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For
            > Batchelder's story,
            > please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let me know.
            >
            > Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
            > Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.
          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 11 9:34 AM

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com> , Stephen Recker <recker@...>
              wrote:

              > Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition about
              his
              > death at Antietam? Thanks.
              >
              > Stephen Recker

              Steve,

              This account is taken from pages 131-132 of the reprint of "History of
              the Nineteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry 1861-1865," by
              Ernest Linden Waitt. If you need more information about Bachelder let
              me know. I have transcripts of letters he wrote to the Salem newspapers
              while a member of the 8th as well as the 19th Massachusetts. In
              particular there's a poignant letter he wrote to his sister days before
              he was killed.

              Scott

              "On the night of Sept. 16, 1862, while the destiny of a nation remained
              undecided, and while the fate of a multitude of soldiers was obviously
              pending, it is not strange that the minds of the combatants were imbued
              with unusual solemnity. Lossing remarks that "the night of the 16th was
              passed by both armies with the expectation of a heavy battle in the
              morning. Few officers found relief from anxiety, for it was believed by
              many that it might be the turning point of the war."
              Capt. George W. Bachelder and Second Lieut. Edgar M.
              Newcomb of Company C were fast friends and as they were about to turn
              in for night, on this eve of the battle of Antietam, Bachelder asked his
              junior officer, as he sat reading his Bible, to read a chapter
              aloud. Surprised at the captain's request, he happily complied
              and was asked to continue until several chapters had been read. Then,
              under the same blanket, they lay down to rest, but not to sleep,
              for Capt. Bachelder, as if forewarned of the fate which was to be his
              within a few hours, talked as he never had before to Newcomb in regard
              to the affairs of the company; telling him, among other things, of
              certain money, "The Company Fund," which he had from time to time
              sent home to his father in Lynn for safe keeping, advising him in regard
              to matters pertaining to the company and making in general such
              arrangements as one would make if taking leave of them forever. Then
              they slept,—Capt. Bachelder his last on earth, for he was killed in
              the battle of the following day; Newcomb being spared, but to
              answer the final summons in the next battle,—Fredericksburg.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 13 5:29 PM
                Unbelievable........a true "gentle" man... I wonder how many
                others of both sides had similar premonitions of death at
                Sharpsburg on that fateful day and handled their final affairs
                with the same thoughtfulness and courage?

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 13 6:11 PM
                  When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it. What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
                  What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the battle..."

                  > The book entiteld HARVARD MEMORIAL BIOGRPAHIES is online. For
                  > Batchelder's story,
                  > please use the huge URL that I posted below. If it fails, let
                  > me know.
                  >
                  > Pages 1 thru 11 ares for George Batchelder.
                  > Page 11 contains references to his premonitions.
                  >
                  > http://books.google.com/books?id=-e4AXtDmj5IC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=george+batchelder+antietam&source=web&ots=rjRHJPTP1_&sig=4xwx2MGmU1_Nsp-mNKSrq5Pznbg#PPA1,M1
                  >
                  > Tom Shay

                  > From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
                  > Does anyone know the story of George Batchelder's premonition
                  > about his
                  > death at Antietam? Thanks.
                  >
                  > Stephen Recker

                • barringer63
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 13 6:22 PM
                    Richard Croker wrote:

                    > When I can across Sam Zook's premonition of death prior to
                    Fredericksburg, I almost left it out...I thought it was too much of a
                    cliche. Since he confided it to Hancock the night before, I felt like
                    I had to leave it in and let the fiction critics hammar me for it.
                    What the heck -- I already had a frail, stuttering Irishman...
                    > What I guess I'm saying is, it's not much of a stretch to suggest
                    that virtually every soldier has such thoughts "just before the
                    battle..."

                    Then there's the private who before every battle, wrote in his
                    journal, "today I was killed." IIRC, he survived the war. :-)

                    Teej