Re: Observation Tower Closed for Repairs

  • lpydb
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6 12:18 PM
      The Observation Tower was the highlight of my trip to Antietam. It's too
      bad it has to be closed but you have to keep up on repairs or one day
      there be no Observation Tower.

      Coly

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

      > Antietam National Battlefield Superintendent J.W. Howard has announced
      that the War Department Observation Tower located near the Sunken Road
      will be closing for repairs on August 6, 2007.

      > Beginning on that day repairs will be made to the tile roof and
      lightning protection system. In addition, repair work will be done on
      the metal stairs and railing which leads to the observation platform.

      > For reasons of visitor safety the Observation Tower and a portion of
      the Sunken Road Parking Area will be closed to public access. The
      closure will be in effect for a period of 30 days. The Sunken Road will
      remain open to the public during this period.