Observation Tower Closed for Repairs

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
      Antietam National Battlefield Superintendent J.W. Howard has announced that the War Department Observation Tower located near the Sunken Road will be closing for repairs on August 6, 2007.

      Beginning on that day repairs will be made to the tile roof and lightning protection system. In addition, repair work will be done on the metal stairs and railing which leads to the observation platform.

      For reasons of visitor safety the Observation Tower and a portion of the Sunken Road Parking Area will be closed to public access. The closure will be in effect for a period of 30 days. The Sunken Road will remain open to the public during this period.

      Tom Shay (posted from NPS website)

    • lpydb
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
        The Observation Tower was the highlight of my trip to Antietam. It's too
        bad it has to be closed but you have to keep up on repairs or one day
        there be no Observation Tower.

        Coly