Re: Hello Everybody

  • lpydb
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
      Hi Steve, my name is Coly. I used to live in Maryland and now I live in
      Colorado.

      In Richard Miller's regimental history, Harvard's Civil War, it mentions
      that when the 20th Massachusetts was in Middletown Captain George Macy
      was sent back to Washington to pick up recruits. There were also a
      couple of officers left behind in Frederick so they could recover from
      Typhoid Fever. It also mentions some quotes from the officers in the
      regiment. Captain Norwood Hallowell wrote, "[i] The night was made
      beautiful by the camp-fires of two hostile armies blazing in all
      directions[i/]." Lieutenant Henry Ropes wrote to his father, "[i] Our
      force is very large and we are in reserve[/i]" and "[i]in all
      probability shall not be engaged in case another battle takes place in a
      few days[/i]" The author credits these quotes to something called
      Selected Letters.

      The book also states that after the battle of Antietam when Oliver
      Wendell Holmes Sr was looking for his wounded son OWH Jr. he traveled
      through Middletown.

      I wish I could be of more help but I hope this helps. Good luck with
      your book.

      Coly

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
        Was William McKinley at the dedication of the Maryland Monument at
        Antietam? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
          Steve Recker wrote:

          > Was William McKinley at the dedication of the Maryland Monument at
          > Antietam? Thanks.

          Steve, according to this site,
          http://www.sos.state.md.us/mmmc/MMMCBrochure.pdf McKinley and most of
          his cabinet were on hand for the dedication.

          Regards,
          Teej
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
            Wow. This is great. A million thanks!