Re: Hello Everybody

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
      Welcome.

      Do you have a name to share with us? I'm Steve.

      Also...I am writing a history of Middletown, MD during the Civil War
      (4 miles east of South Mountain). In your research on the 20th MA,
      have you come across any first person accounts by members of the 20th
      MA of anything that happened in Middletown as they passed through?

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "lpydb" <lpydb@...> wrote:

      > I am glad to be a part of your group so I can learn more about
      > Antietam.I have studied the 20th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment
      which
      > was a part of Sumner's 2nd Corps that fought in the West Woods at
      > Antietam. I also visited Antietam and loved it. So far it is my
      > favorite battlefield to visit.

    • lpydb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
        Hi Steve, my name is Coly. I used to live in Maryland and now I live in
        Colorado.

        In Richard Miller's regimental history, Harvard's Civil War, it mentions
        that when the 20th Massachusetts was in Middletown Captain George Macy
        was sent back to Washington to pick up recruits. There were also a
        couple of officers left behind in Frederick so they could recover from
        Typhoid Fever. It also mentions some quotes from the officers in the
        regiment. Captain Norwood Hallowell wrote, "[i] The night was made
        beautiful by the camp-fires of two hostile armies blazing in all
        directions[i/]." Lieutenant Henry Ropes wrote to his father, "[i] Our
        force is very large and we are in reserve[/i]" and "[i]in all
        probability shall not be engaged in case another battle takes place in a
        few days[/i]" The author credits these quotes to something called
        Selected Letters.

        The book also states that after the battle of Antietam when Oliver
        Wendell Holmes Sr was looking for his wounded son OWH Jr. he traveled
        through Middletown.

        I wish I could be of more help but I hope this helps. Good luck with
        your book.

        Coly

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
          Was William McKinley at the dedication of the Maryland Monument at
          Antietam? Thanks.

          Stephen Recker
        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
            Steve Recker wrote:

            > Was William McKinley at the dedication of the Maryland Monument at
            > Antietam? Thanks.

            Steve, according to this site,
            http://www.sos.state.md.us/mmmc/MMMCBrochure.pdf McKinley and most of
            his cabinet were on hand for the dedication.

            Regards,
            Teej
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
              Wow. This is great. A million thanks!