Hello Everybody

  • lpydb
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
      I am glad to be a part of your group so I can learn more about
      Antietam.I have studied the 20th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment which
      was a part of Sumner's 2nd Corps that fought in the West Woods at
      Antietam. I also visited Antietam and loved it. So far it is my
      favorite battlefield to visit.

    • jeffcowvplanning
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
        Welcome.

        Do you have a name to share with us? I'm Steve.

        Also...I am writing a history of Middletown, MD during the Civil War
        (4 miles east of South Mountain). In your research on the 20th MA,
        have you come across any first person accounts by members of the 20th
        MA of anything that happened in Middletown as they passed through?

        Thanks.
        Steve Bockmiller

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
          Hi Steve, my name is Coly. I used to live in Maryland and now I live in
          Colorado.

          In Richard Miller's regimental history, Harvard's Civil War, it mentions
          that when the 20th Massachusetts was in Middletown Captain George Macy
          was sent back to Washington to pick up recruits. There were also a
          couple of officers left behind in Frederick so they could recover from
          Typhoid Fever. It also mentions some quotes from the officers in the
          regiment. Captain Norwood Hallowell wrote, "[i] The night was made
          beautiful by the camp-fires of two hostile armies blazing in all
          directions[i/]." Lieutenant Henry Ropes wrote to his father, "[i] Our
          force is very large and we are in reserve[/i]" and "[i]in all
          probability shall not be engaged in case another battle takes place in a
          few days[/i]" The author credits these quotes to something called
          Selected Letters.

          The book also states that after the battle of Antietam when Oliver
          Wendell Holmes Sr was looking for his wounded son OWH Jr. he traveled
          through Middletown.

          I wish I could be of more help but I hope this helps. Good luck with
          your book.

          Coly

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
            Was William McKinley at the dedication of the Maryland Monument at
            Antietam? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
              Steve Recker wrote:

              > Was William McKinley at the dedication of the Maryland Monument at
              > Antietam? Thanks.

              Steve, according to this site,
              http://www.sos.state.md.us/mmmc/MMMCBrochure.pdf McKinley and most of
              his cabinet were on hand for the dedication.

              Regards,
              Teej
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
                Wow. This is great. A million thanks!