Re: [TalkAntietam] Battlefield map for 9/18?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
      Dear Steve,

      I do not know personally that such a map does exist. However,
      when you take into consideration that the Confederate battle
      lines had really only changed a few hundred yards from what they
      were the morning of September 17th.... perhaps there is your
      explanation.

      You might want to pursue the Library of Congress map collection
      for maps of Antietam and see if you find any maps delineating the
      rough lines of the Army of Northern Virginia as of September
      18th. However, do not expect (IIRC and IMHO) to find any detailed
      maps of unit placements etc.

      I sincerely hope this helps............

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
        I've never seen a detailed map for the 18th. Closest I've ever seen are one or two 19th century maps of 9/18 with the battle line for each army drawn upon it, but no detail as to specific units.

        I've used a number of the Travelbrains simulations for other battlefields, but I've never seen the Antietam one they made. Does anyone know when it cuts off?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2007
          The only thing I have seen are the two plates in the OR Atlas, XXVIII-1
          and XXIX-2 that show lines, but no details, on the night of the 17th.

          >>> "stv_cw" <longhorn123@...> 07/11/07 6:15 PM >>>
          Hello, Everyone.

          I'm new to the forum and am trying to locate a detailed battlefield map
          for the morning after
          the battle, on 9/18 -- something that would serve as a visual aid for
          studying details of the
          entire field (thin Confederate defense of Nicodemus Heights, truce
          sectors, Humphreys'
          support of the Ninth Corps, etc.). A rep from the Visitor's Center feels
          that such a thing
          doesn't exist; if this is the case, would the next best thing be the
          5:30 p.m. 9/17 Carman-
          Cope map? Many thanks in advance!

          Steve
        • stv_cw
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2007
            Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'll research the OR Atlas plates and Library
            of Congress maps, and will also take a second look at my Travelbrains battle simulation
            from the Antietam Expedition Guide and see where it ends.

            Kindest regards,