Battlefield map for 9/18?

  • stv_cw
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11 3:15 PM
      Hello, Everyone.

      I'm new to the forum and am trying to locate a detailed battlefield map for the morning after
      the battle, on 9/18 -- something that would serve as a visual aid for studying details of the
      entire field (thin Confederate defense of Nicodemus Heights, truce sectors, Humphreys'
      support of the Ninth Corps, etc.). A rep from the Visitor's Center feels that such a thing
      doesn't exist; if this is the case, would the next best thing be the 5:30 p.m. 9/17 Carman-
      Cope map? Many thanks in advance!

      Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11 3:32 PM
        Dear Steve,

        I do not know personally that such a map does exist. However,
        when you take into consideration that the Confederate battle
        lines had really only changed a few hundred yards from what they
        were the morning of September 17th.... perhaps there is your
        explanation.

        You might want to pursue the Library of Congress map collection
        for maps of Antietam and see if you find any maps delineating the
        rough lines of the Army of Northern Virginia as of September
        18th. However, do not expect (IIRC and IMHO) to find any detailed
        maps of unit placements etc.

        I sincerely hope this helps............

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11 6:23 PM
          I've never seen a detailed map for the 18th. Closest I've ever seen are one or two 19th century maps of 9/18 with the battle line for each army drawn upon it, but no detail as to specific units.

          I've used a number of the Travelbrains simulations for other battlefields, but I've never seen the Antietam one they made. Does anyone know when it cuts off?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12 7:27 AM
            The only thing I have seen are the two plates in the OR Atlas, XXVIII-1
            and XXIX-2 that show lines, but no details, on the night of the 17th.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12 2:44 PM
              Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'll research the OR Atlas plates and Library
              of Congress maps, and will also take a second look at my Travelbrains battle simulation
              from the Antietam Expedition Guide and see where it ends.

              Kindest regards,