Road to Lambs Knoll from Wise's Field

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 6:52 PM
      Hello folks.

      Quick question....

      The other day, I took my daughter in her stroller up to Fox's Gap. I
      began walking up the one-lane road toward lambs knoll....got maybe
      about a mile and called it quits. Too steep for this out of shape guy
      to be pushing a big stroller up hill in the heat (ok...I am a wuss).

      I would like to explore this road, maybe even get up to Lambs Knoll
      where the telecom towers are, but I noticed "no vehicles beyond this
      point" signs. "No trespassing" signs are conspicuously absent, so I
      interpret this as "don't drive here, but you are welcome to walk."

      Does anyone have any experience in driving up this road (hassles,
      problems), and is there anything up there worth seeing? Does it
      terminate or go all the way to Crampton's Gap?

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9 3:48 AM
        Steve;

        I can not answer your question re Crampton's Gap and Lamb's Knoll
        Road, but IIRC the road does not go all the way towards
        Crampton's Gap.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9 6:18 AM
          Steve:

          In my experience, the owners are good about letting folks walk the property. As you noted, however, it's a one lane road (hence their ban on cars; they don't want someone going up it when they're trying to go down).

          In my travels there, I haven't often seen the road in use, but I'm sure that the first time a CW buff drives it they'll encounter someone heading the other way down the road and thereby provoke the owners to tighten access to the property as a whole.

          --Jake

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9 10:45 AM
            Steve,
            It is an FAA site and the fellow who used to run it is an 8th Ohio Inf.
            nut, a good fellow. They don't mind walkers, but vehicles are a
            problem. If you call in advance they will notify their people and it is
            OK. I do that if I take a motorcoach down there. I have not met the
            new person running it. It sued to be a Cold War comm site, hence the
            concrete silo for the anenae, but now they just talk to airplanes.