Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Complete Story of Antietam

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 24, 2007
      Dear Gerry:

      Please call me Jake. All my friends do.

      My apologies if i misquoted your earlier statement. As I read the post, someone made reference to the "about to be published" Carman manuscript as "the definitive work.

      Your statement in reply was something on the lines of "hardly definitive"--which I took as a remark upon my job of EDITING it. I see that you meant to refer to Carman's manuscript itself.

      To which, I concur that Carman is HARDLY the last work on the subject. In fact, he owes (and openly acknowledges) quite a debt to Palfrey (quoting him verbatim and at length in many passages) and other contemporaries. In that regard, I am not aware of ANY author who has written all that can be said on Antietam. (I'm hard pressed to think of any historian who has done that for ANY Civil War battle.)

      I think the word "definitive" sprang up in this conversation as a result of my use of the word in the subtitle to my edition of Carman. Marketing cache aside, I used the term in its literal sense. Carman's manuscript represnets the sum total of his reserach into the battle--research which formed the basis of the "official narrative" of Antietam as constructed by the Battlefield Board, and which has served--on some level--as the basis for all subsequent histories of the fight.

      Consciously or not, everyone who writes on Antietam is in some way beginning with Carman. The govenrment's account of the battle--as expressed not only in print, but in the layout of Antietam National Battlefield itself, in what was presevred and what was omitted, what was foregrounded and what was relegated to the sidelines--is the narrative Carman constructed for them.

      Which is to say (a point I express in my introduction) that Carman's work has "defined" all subsequent research. It's the baseline to which others historians have either adhered or deviated--but, by definition, they have never worked in isolation from it.

      As for its flaws, I am the first to admit there are boths errors of fact and errors of interpretation in Carman's work. (So too with every history.)

      I go back to my use of the word "baseline." I for one would never argue that Carman's work (by which I refer to the sum of his inquiries into Antietam, of which the Maryland Campaign is but one expression) is (or ever intended to be) the "last" word on the subject. I would argue, however, that it is, if not the FIRST word, the most influential on the subsequent course of Antietam historiography.

      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 2, 2007
        I just spoke to a buddy of mine that is planning on going to the huge
        Antietam Conference at the end of this month. He was holding back
        because he wasn't sure there was still going to be room for him. I
        checked it out and there is still plenty of room for folks who want to
        attend. I thought I would post a note here about it so that anyone else
        who wanted to go yet hadn't signed up might be assured that the
        opportunity has not passed.

        Info can be found at: www.chambersburgcivilwarseminars.org

        I'm particularly excited to go on John Hoptak's Final Assault walk. He
        says that he is going to go in an area little travelled. Ending, no
        doubt, with a long speech at the monument for the 48th PA ;-)

        Who else is going?

        Stephen Recker