Re: Question

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
      Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
      discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

      For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
      operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

      If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
      I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

      Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
      the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
      are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

      The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
      Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
      division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
      recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
      that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
      familiar with that massive study.)

      As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
      original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
      Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
      part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
      to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
      and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
      Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
      free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
      resolution).

      -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
        A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
        going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
        shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
        shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
        ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
        accounts I have seen. Any data?