RE: [TalkAntietam] Digest Number 841

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007

      Some times "cousin" was used as a greeting in letters to a distant relative or even a friend--perhaps a close one.

      I found the following information (probably a duplicate of Teej's information). I did find that E. S. (or Edward) owned twenty slaves in 1860. I was not able to locate William or Edward in the 1850 US census, which might have provided the names of their parents.

      Bill Christen

      American Civil War Soldiers
      Name: William Marsh
      Residence: Beaufort County, North Carolina
      Enlistment Date: 16 May 1861
      Enlistment Place: Beaufort County, North Carolina
      Side Served: Confederacy
      State Served: North Carolina
      Service Record: Enlisted as a Captain on 16 May 1861 at the age of 30.
      Commission in Company I, 4th Infantry Regiment North Carolina on 16 May 1861.
      Died from wounds Company I, 4th Infantry Regiment North Carolina on 24 Sep 1862 at Sharpsburg, MD.

      1860 United States Federal Census
      Name: Wm T Marsh
      Age in 1860: 30
      Birth Year: abt 1830
      Birthplace: North Carolina
      Home in 1860: South Creek, Beaufort, North Carolina
      Occupation: Farmer
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Wm T Marsh 30
      E S Marsh 21
      Bennet Bridgeman 26
      L Lewis 68
      T G Bridgeman 25

      American Civil War Soldiers
      Name: Edward Marsh ,
      Residence: Beaufort County, North Carolina
      Enlistment Date: 25 Jun 1861
      Enlistment Place: Beaufort County, North Carolina
      Side Served: Confederacy
      State Served: North Carolina
      Service Record: Enlisted as a Sergeant on 25 June 1861 at the age of 22.
      Enlisted in Company I, 4th Infantry Regiment North Carolina on 25 Jun 1861.
      Promoted to Full 1st Sergeant on 26 Jun 1861.
      Promoted to Full 2nd Lieutenant on 29 Aug 1861.
      Resigned Company I, 4th Infantry Regiment North Carolina on 20 Sep 1861.
      Commission in Company I, 4th Infantry Regiment North Carolina on 11 Sep 1862.
      Promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant on 11 Sep 1862.
      Promoted to Full Captain on 24 Sep 1862.
      Promoted to Full Major (As of Co. S) on 19 May 1864.
      Resigned Company I, 4th Infantry Regiment North Carolina on 9 Feb 1865.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
        Dear Bill,

        Thanks for the info.

        What does Co S mean for E S Marsh?

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
          Wow Gerry and T -- Thank you for that! These are the things that make history real!