Last Letter of Confederate Officer, MW/KIA at Sunken Road (Long)

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2007
      <<Will you make a bargain with me to
      tell me your love secrets in return for my own or would I be an
      unfair one. You are so young and I so far advanced in years. You
      just in the bloom of loves springtime, I in the autumn.>>

      Teej and Gerry, thanks for sharing this really neat letter. While all the terrain and marching info was very interesting; I find the everyday conversation even more so. You state he was about 30, he mentions that the person he is corresponding with is "so young"; yet he is willing to tell his secrets to her. If she is just in the bloom of loves springtime - she might be in her late teens or early 20's? I guess she is "so young" to him, but is obviously old enough to possibly have "love secrets".

      I think this shows how much these soldiers - though life around them was horrible, survived upon the mundane and everyday occurrences of home.

      I can't remember where I read this - it was in one of the 128th letters - but the soldier was complaining that he didn't have many female correspondents. Captain Martin mentions this also.

      Thanks again.

      Paula

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
        Dear Paula,

        Thanks for the comments. As to Captain Marsh's notations about
        being in the autumn of life and his female cousin being so young,
        from the manner in which he writes it, I am wondering if perhaps
        she might be more early to middle teens? IIRC, a girl at 13
        became a "young lady" and, depending on society status, was
        expected to start acting like one.

        I would really love to know the name of the cousin to whom Marsh
        sent his last letter. The letter itself is all the more poignant
        due to it. I also oft wonder if the cousin did try to eventually
        answer his letter only to have it returned to her? Or, did
        Marsh's brother possibly write her to inform her of the death of
        his brother or cousin?

        > tell me your love secrets in return for my own or would I be an
        > unfair one. You are so young and I so far advanced in years.
        > You
        > just in the bloom of loves springtime, I in the autumn.>>
        >
        > Teej and Gerry, thanks for sharing this really neat letter.
        > While all the terrain and marching info was very interesting; I
        > find the everyday conversation even more so. You state he was
        > about 30, he mentions that the person he is corresponding with
        > is "so young"; yet he is willing to tell his secrets to her.
        > If she is just in the bloom of loves springtime - she might be
        > in her late teens or early 20's? I guess she is "so young" to
        > him, but is obviously old enough to possibly have "love
        > secrets".
        >
        > I think this shows how much these soldiers - though life around
        > them was horrible, survived upon the mundane and everyday
        > occurrences of home.
        >
        > I can't remember where I read this - it was in one of the 128th
        > letters - but the soldier was complaining that he didn't have
        > many female correspondents. Captain Martin mentions this
        > also.
        >
        > Thanks again.
        >
        > Paula

      • robert blama
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
          great letter makes you feel part of the story