I will meet you in Sharpsburg

    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
      I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
      some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
      Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
      Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
      the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
        Steve,
        1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
        10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
        life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

        Tom Clemens

        Stephen,

        What other information do you have about his unit?

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
          Steve,
          The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
          announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
          1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
          else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
          Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

          I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
          some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
          Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
          Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
          the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

          Stephen Recker
        • joseph_pierro
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
            Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
            discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

            For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
            operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

            If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
            I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

            Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
            the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
            are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

            The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
            Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
            division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
            recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
            that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
            familiar with that massive study.)

            As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
            original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
            Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
            part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
            to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
            and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
            Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
            free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
            resolution).

            -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
              A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
              going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
              shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
              shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
              ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
              accounts I have seen. Any data?