Re: [TalkAntietam] Lt. March of the 32nd MA

    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
      Stephen,

      What other information do you have about his unit?

      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
        I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
        some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
        Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
        Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
        the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
          Steve,
          1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
          10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
          life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

          Tom Clemens

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
            Steve,
            The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
            announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
            1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
            else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
            Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

            I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
            some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
            Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
            Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
            the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
          • joseph_pierro
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
              Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
              discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

              For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
              operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

              If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
              I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

              Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
              the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
              are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

              The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
              Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
              division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
              recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
              that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
              familiar with that massive study.)

              As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
              original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
              Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
              part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
              to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
              and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
              Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
              free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
              resolution).

              -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
                A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
                going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
                shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
                shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
                ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
                accounts I have seen. Any data?