Lt. March of the 32nd MA

    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
      Anyone know anything about this fellow? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
        Stephen,

        What other information do you have about his unit?

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
          I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
          some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
          Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
          Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
          the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

          Stephen Recker
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
            Steve,
            1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
            10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
            life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

            Tom Clemens

            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
              Steve,
              The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
              announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
              1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
              else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
              Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

              I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
              some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
              Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
              Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
              the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

              Stephen Recker
            • joseph_pierro
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
                Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
                discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

                For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
                operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

                If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
                I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

                Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
                the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
                are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

                The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
                Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
                division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
                recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
                that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
                familiar with that massive study.)

                As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
                original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
                Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
                part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
                to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
                and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
                Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
                free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
                resolution).

                -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
                  A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
                  going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
                  shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
                  shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
                  ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
                  accounts I have seen. Any data?