Re: Question

  • T. R. Livesey
    Message 1 of 30 , May 30, 2007
      Murfin's maps also suffer somewhat from the problem that there is no
      image of the whole battlefield, making orientation difficult. Since I
      owned a copy of the Parks and History Association map before I read
      any of these books, I never really had a problem with orientation.

      While it is certainly not the 'best' book (at least not for an overall
      introduction to the battle), Luvaas & Nelson's "US Army War College
      Guide to the Battle of Antietam" is worthy of mention, particularly
      for actually visiting the battlefield and related sites at S Mountain
      and Harper's Ferry. Definitely the best driving directions for getting
      around S Mountain. Whenever I take visitor's to the battlefield, I
      always take the route that they suggest: start at the Pry House, then
      to the Keedysville road, over the little Antietam, past Pry's Mill,
      over the upper bridge, down the Smoketown road into the east woods.
      Not only does it take you past fields, roads and houses that look like
      they haven't changed much since 1862, but it also gives a good sense
      the kind of ground in the area. And, there will be no other tourists
      entering the battlefield from that route. At first glance their maps
      are somewhat primitive, but they do show contour lines, which in my
      opinion makes them far more useful than the maps in the other three.
      Cute symbols for corn and clover and stubble are cool but they just
      don't work when the map is reduced to book page size. Also
      indispensable if you are using the map while visiting the battlefield
      is the inclusion of modern features (e.g. roads, structures and tour
      stops) so that you can figure out where you are in relation to the
      historical features. None of the big three's maps show modern
      features, but the Luvaas & Nelson maps do. It's too bad that Luvaas &
      Nelson only did little map segments at Antietam to illustrate the
      portions of ground they study instead of producing a whole battlefield
      map because I think they had the right idea given the limitations of
      maps that appear in a book. Their map of the Harper's Ferry area is great.

      TRL

      > TR,
      > I couldn't agree more! The P&H map is the base map of the
      Carman/Cope maps, but they do indeed leave out the elevation markings.
      Great if you want to know crops types, fences, etc. but not good for
      understanding the battle. Preist used this map, but the whole thing
      never appears in the book so if you don't know the field to begin
      with, you'll be lost like a hiccup in a hurricane. Also he used some
      odd symbols for artillery, etc.

      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
        Anyone know anything about this fellow? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
          Stephen,

          What other information do you have about his unit?

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
            I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
            some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
            Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
            Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
            the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
              Steve,
              1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
              10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
              life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

              Tom Clemens

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
                Steve,
                The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
                announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
                1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
                else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
                Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

                I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                Stephen Recker
              • joseph_pierro
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
                  Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
                  discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

                  For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
                  operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

                  If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
                  I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

                  Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
                  the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
                  are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

                  The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
                  Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
                  division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
                  recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
                  that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
                  familiar with that massive study.)

                  As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
                  original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
                  Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
                  part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
                  to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
                  and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
                  Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
                  free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
                  resolution).

                  -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
                    A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
                    going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
                    shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
                    shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
                    ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
                    accounts I have seen. Any data?