Re: Question

  • T. R. Livesey
    Message 1 of 30 , May 30, 2007
      I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'. Priest's
      maps are better than Sears'.

      The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of course, is
      in a class of its own.

      TRL

      Message 2 of 30 , May 30, 2007
        Dear Todd,

        IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

        I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'.
        Priest's
        maps are better than Sears'.

        The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of
        course, is
        in a class of its own.

        TRL

        > Dear Stephen,
        >
        > Your point about Harsh is definitely well taken.
        >
        > However, Sears' maps are not as good as those in Murfin's Gleam
        > of Bayonets.

        > from

      • T. R. Livesey
        Message 3 of 30 , May 30, 2007
          Gerry,

          In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
          James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
          of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
          use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
          There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
          shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
          been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

          Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
          I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
          similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
          of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

          From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
          challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
          expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
          maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
          really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
          in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
          the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
          How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
          a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
          important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
          clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
          to look at and readers are drawn to them.

          The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
          use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
          whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
          map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
          makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
          of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
          necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
          these others.

          TRL

          Message 4 of 30 , May 30, 2007
            Thanks Todd.

            BTW the Trailhead Graphics map of Antietam is simply superb...
            but unfortunately not possible to put in a book.

[...]

            From my experience, including elevation markings is always a

            Message 5 of 30 , May 30, 2007
              TR,
              I couldn't agree more! The P&H map is the base map of the Carman/Cope maps, but they do indeed leave out the elevation markings. Great if you want to know crops types, fences, etc. but not good for understanding the battle. Preist used this map, but the whole thing never appears in the book so if you don't know the field to begin with, you'll be lost like a hiccup in a hurricane. Also he used some odd symbols for artillery, etc.
              Tom Clemen

              >>> "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...> 05/30/07 1:36 PM >>>

              Gerry,

              In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
              James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
              of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
              use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
              There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
              shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
              been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

              Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
              I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
              similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
              of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

              From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
              challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
              expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
              maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
              really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
              in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
              the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
              How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
              a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
              important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
              clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
              to look at and readers are drawn to them.

              The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
              use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
              whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
              map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
              makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
              of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
              necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
              these others.

              TRL

              > Dear Todd,
              >
              > IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

            • James W. Durney
              Message 6 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...>
                wrote:

                > From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                > challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                > expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                > maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                > really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For
                example,
                > in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot
                appreciate
                > the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                > How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I
                think
                > a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is
                more
                > important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                > clover, etc.).

                I think Anitetam cannot be understood w/o elevation markings. My
                first chance to walk the battlefield was a revelation that I will
                never forget. Neither Sears, Priest or Harsh had told me how much
                elevation impacts the battle.

                James
              • T. R. Livesey
                Message 7 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                  Murfin's maps also suffer somewhat from the problem that there is no
                  image of the whole battlefield, making orientation difficult. Since I
                  owned a copy of the Parks and History Association map before I read
                  any of these books, I never really had a problem with orientation.

                  While it is certainly not the 'best' book (at least not for an overall
                  introduction to the battle), Luvaas & Nelson's "US Army War College
                  Guide to the Battle of Antietam" is worthy of mention, particularly
                  for actually visiting the battlefield and related sites at S Mountain
                  and Harper's Ferry. Definitely the best driving directions for getting
                  around S Mountain. Whenever I take visitor's to the battlefield, I
                  always take the route that they suggest: start at the Pry House, then
                  to the Keedysville road, over the little Antietam, past Pry's Mill,
                  over the upper bridge, down the Smoketown road into the east woods.
                  Not only does it take you past fields, roads and houses that look like
                  they haven't changed much since 1862, but it also gives a good sense
                  the kind of ground in the area. And, there will be no other tourists
                  entering the battlefield from that route. At first glance their maps
                  are somewhat primitive, but they do show contour lines, which in my
                  opinion makes them far more useful than the maps in the other three.
                  Cute symbols for corn and clover and stubble are cool but they just
                  don't work when the map is reduced to book page size. Also
                  indispensable if you are using the map while visiting the battlefield
                  is the inclusion of modern features (e.g. roads, structures and tour
                  stops) so that you can figure out where you are in relation to the
                  historical features. None of the big three's maps show modern
                  features, but the Luvaas & Nelson maps do. It's too bad that Luvaas &
                  Nelson only did little map segments at Antietam to illustrate the
                  portions of ground they study instead of producing a whole battlefield
                  map because I think they had the right idea given the limitations of
                  maps that appear in a book. Their map of the Harper's Ferry area is great.

                  TRL

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 1 10:41 AM
                    Anyone know anything about this fellow? Thanks.

                    Stephen Recker
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 1 10:48 AM
                      Stephen,

                      What other information do you have about his unit?

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 1 3:34 PM
                        I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                        some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                        Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                        Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                        the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                        Stephen Recker
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2 5:07 AM
                          Steve,
                          1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
                          10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
                          life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

                          Tom Clemens

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 2 5:24 AM
                            Steve,
                            The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
                            announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
                            1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
                            else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
                            Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

                            I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                            some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                            Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                            Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                            the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                            Stephen Recker
                          • joseph_pierro
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 23 6:48 PM
                              Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
                              discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

                              For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
                              operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

                              If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
                              I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

                              Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
                              the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
                              are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

                              The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
                              Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
                              division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
                              recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
                              that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
                              familiar with that massive study.)

                              As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
                              original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
                              Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
                              part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
                              to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
                              and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
                              Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
                              free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
                              resolution).

                              -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
                                A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
                                going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
                                shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
                                shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
                                ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
                                accounts I have seen. Any data?